PDA

View Full Version : I switched from Griots G9 to Flex 3401.. My thoughts..

Pages : [1] 2

Eric7810
09-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Mike Phillips convinced me to buy a 3401 so I can finally start plowing through my AIO jobs. Thanks Mike! I also picked up the Flex 3401 book he authored. Very helpful.

Here are some scattered thoughts after three jobs with the Flex..

1. I use 6.5 force hybrid pads with the Flex and I am exhausted after a job fighting that thing. I swapped a 4” backer onto it and started using my old 5.5 LC flats. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I may never use those hybrids again. Wishing I bought them in 5.5”.

2. I miss the ergonomics of the G9. Wrapping your hand around the head of the tool was awesome. I also miss the removable power cord. Handy for storage.

3. The forced action of the Flex feels like I am finally able to do serious work. It’s like swapping your front wheel drive car for an all wheel drive car. Every bit of power it generates goes to work for you.

4. Every bit of the Flex feels well engineered. The trigger, trigger lock, and speed dial have a solid feel to them. The Flex has a variable speed trigger, but a soft start that I don’t prefer. The G9 is a soft start also, but I’ve always preferred the more immediate start of my PC7424.

I’m very happy using the Flex. Glad I stepped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vobro
09-06-2020, 02:29 PM
On your first point I had similar issue, try putting the butt of the handle at 4 o clock and the center of pad at 10 o clock. It helps with fighting the torque

Ed Abbondanzio
09-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Thanks for this, you basically answered a question I've been pondering on for about a week now.

The variable trigger sounds like a nice touch. I don't mind the soft start on the g9 but I would have preferred the variable trigger speed to make spreading products prior to passes just a hair easier.

TTQ B4U
09-06-2020, 03:38 PM
On your first point I had similar issue, try putting the butt of the handle at 4 o clock and the center of pad at 10 o clock. It helps with fighting the torque

Bingo. Zero issues with mine but I've been using them for quite a while now.

WillSports3
09-06-2020, 07:55 PM
I've tried out a Flex 3401 and I gotta say, I've picked up enough joint aches in the past where this machine is not for me. However, it can power through some *$&#. You can load it up with compound and a microfiber cutting pad and take a new mercedes and be finished cutting faster and safer than anything else. I do agree that the big pads can be more trouble some as you need more muscle to power through the thing. I prefer the 5.5/5 inch pads as well, my personal preference.

PaulMys
09-06-2020, 08:27 PM
Nice, honest observations Eric.

I love my GG6, and for the one use of the new G9, I was impressed.

However, when time is money, you are going to need something like the 3401. The trade-off is exactly as you described.

The GG6 and 9 are nice machines for hobbyists. (Have fun in your garage).

The 3401 will rip out the job as quickly as possible, but might kick your a$$ at the end of the day.

John U
09-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Eric, The Geek sells two types of side handle/grip for the 3401. I myself enjoy using/controlling the “Beast” much more with one.

DUBL0WS6
09-06-2020, 10:18 PM
I'd suggest trying a couple pads with center holes and see if they are easier to handle.

psnt1ol
09-07-2020, 01:49 AM
The 3401 has been on the market for over a decade now. Modern machines these days do have better ergonomic. I been using 3401 for almost 9 years now and had recently picked up the "New Beast" (FLEX XCE 10-8 125 ). From my time with the "new Beast", I noticed less vibrations and the platypus head as well as the plastic housing made it much easier and safer to hold. For those who used the 3401 for a long sessions will know what I am referring to. :laughing:

I have both 6.5 inches and 5.5 inches force hybrid pads. Over the years, I gotten used to both and both have their places. Which pad I use greatly depends on what I am doing. The larger pad can get the job done faster but it is a bit more taxing on my body. Its a trade off of sort. my 3401 is still working after all these years and I dont see it breaking down anytime soon.

MarkD51
09-07-2020, 08:39 AM
I wonder how the Supa Beast would compare being a different design?

I probably asked this question before......Does the Supa Beast, and the 3401 possess the same direction of Rotation?

Bruno Soares
09-07-2020, 08:55 AM
I wonder how the Supa Beast would compare being a different design?

I probably asked this question before......Does the Supa Beast, and the 3401 possess the same direction of Rotation?
Same direction, which is opposite of pretty much all other polishers.

I hear the supa beast is smoother, quieter, cooler, but also less powerful. If you can sacrifice some power (which means it won’t as much of a beast) then I think it’s a good option. It is more powerful than the CBEAST.

Dr Oldz
09-07-2020, 12:09 PM
I use 6.5 inch hybrids a lot with the Beast. Love them.

Here is one personal observation of the Beast.... after you get some time in with the machine, you learn to balance it. Obviously that time will be different for individuals. You should get to the point where you can run (steer) the machine with one hand And only use the other for downward pressure. Unless you are edging, the machine shouldn’t pull you if you are operating it properly. Curves and convexes will pull a bit that’s the advantage over stalling.

I also see a lot of people using a few “pea” size drops.... that adds to making the machine a lot harder to use because there isn’t adequate lubrication between the pad and paint.

mk9750
09-07-2020, 01:04 PM
Dr. Oldz,

That's an interesting point about the amount of product, and one I will certainly try to confirm. I've tended to follow the directions on most product bottles that call for three - four pea size drops, although I've known Mike recommends using way more product. I suspect that even if it doesn't help, there won't be any harm in trying, and if it does smooth things out a bit, that would be great!

Mike Phillips
09-07-2020, 01:58 PM
1. I use 6.5 force hybrid pads with the Flex and I am exhausted after a job fighting that thing.

I hate to say this but me thinks you're fighting yourself instead of learning-the-way-of-the-BEAST.

This tool will do what you want it to do without beating you up but you have to spend some time with it.

And I've shared this on this forum in a lot of threads but here it is again - another great pad and I would even say better shape-design is the RUPES pads.

The old style, which is being discontinued work great. The NEW RUPES pads also work great.

So pick up a couple of the new RUPES pads and give them I try.

:)

John U
09-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Years ago, age 16, I was given the task of polishing a new tile floor in a lumber yard. Grabbing the handle of that 20” rotating pad just about tossed me down the aisle. Within minutes you catch on to how to tip the machine to make it go left or right.

A buddy purchased a Griots DA on my recommendation. I get a call from him that’s it’s a bad one. I run over and pick it up with one hand and slowly “walk” it across his hood as he looked on in shock.

Practice makes perfect!