PDA

View Full Version : Windex?

Pages : [1] 2

sito
09-04-2020, 06:03 AM
Is windex a suitable windshield cleaner?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Desertnate
09-04-2020, 07:18 AM
I find it is. I use the version saying it has vinegar on the label.

I find Sprayway tends to streak less, but when it comes to cutting through the serious "gunk" that forms on the inside of a windshield the Windex with vinegar works better than other glass cleaners I've tried.

LEDetailing
09-04-2020, 07:27 AM
I find it is. I use the version saying it has vinegar on the label.

I find Sprayway tends to streak less, but when it comes to cutting through the serious "gunk" that forms on the inside of a windshield the Windex with vinegar works better than other glass cleaners I've tried.

Thanks for the tip. Never knew they made a vinegar Windex.

mwoolfso
09-04-2020, 12:43 PM

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't it be suitable? There are better products than Windex and I think I got my wife "converted" at this point on my preference. Which is more cost effective as well as better end-result and less work required.

dennis hiip
09-04-2020, 03:03 PM
Windex contains ammonia I'm told. Bad for coating and tints.

FUNX650
09-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Windex contains ammonia I'm told.
Bad for coating and tints.

Ammonia-Free Windex has been around for
ages. Here’s some in their newest “packaging”:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/A8C975BC-2864-4B4C-8546-E67EA006F27B.jpeg

Bob

PaulMys
09-04-2020, 05:47 PM
I loved the ammonia Windex.

I would mix it with bleach, and suddenly I didn't care about the windows.......

Disclaimer

***The above is a (poor) attempt at humor. DO NOT mix ammonia and bleach!****

57Rambler
09-04-2020, 08:45 PM
Two words ... Invisible Glass

The real key to window cleaning is the towel(s) you use. Avoid paper towels and cheap towels because of linting. And even some of the specialized glass towels work better than others. I wasn't impressed with the SpeedMaster glass towels for example, but the Griot's Garage PFM glass towels are super.

Griots Garage PFM Dual Weave Glass Towel, Set of 4 (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-pfm-glass-towels.html)

PaulMys
09-04-2020, 08:54 PM
Two words ... Invisible Glass

The real key to window cleaning is the towel(s) you use. Avoid paper towels and cheap towels because of linting. And even some of the specialized glass towels work better than others. I wasn't impressed with the SpeedMaster glass towels for example, but the Griot's Garage PFM glass towels are super.

Griots Garage PFM Dual Weave Glass Towel, Set of 4 (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-pfm-glass-towels.html)

Agreed 100%

And I still see little love for the Zap Cloth here on AGO.

Not sure why?

57Rambler
09-04-2020, 09:15 PM

Not sure why?

I think the latest craze is huck towels ?

Jayfro
09-04-2020, 09:17 PM
Agreed 100%

Not sure why?

I recently purchased the Zap Cloth, jury is still out but does show promise, learning how wet or dry to use it...kinda like developing a hybrid of a New York and Chicago style pizza!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

PaulMys
09-04-2020, 09:17 PM
I think the latest craze is huck towels ?

I'm not privy.

57Rambler
09-04-2020, 09:24 PM
...kinda like developing a hybrid of a New York and Chicago style pizza!

:poke:

I'm not privy.

Huck towels. The surgical cloth towels that are praised for being lint-free.

TTQ B4U
09-05-2020, 07:13 AM

I go through tons of glass cleaner and have found Meguiar's concentrate works perfectly and is a HUGE money saver. Super concentrated and works amazing. I used to invisible glass and it works great but is pricey. I simply took a 6 pack of their spray bottles, saved them and refill them with the aforementioned.

I'm sure there are others that work well too but Meg's produces super clean streak free glass and has given me no problems so I'm sticking with it.

Bill D
09-05-2020, 07:16 AM
That's interesting because although I find the Megs concentrate to be okay, I'm looking for something better. So far I'm using Sprayway and that seems to do well in terms of no streaks.