PDA

View Full Version : Pads for Griots g9...

MrOneEyedBoh
08-31-2020, 03:40 AM
So I have a huge stash of LC 5.5" flat pads. Well the new Griots G9 polisher has their own plate that's self cooling etc. The back plate is 6" thus having the plate hang over 1/4" all the way around.

Is there an alternative pad that will fit that backing plate? Prefer LC as they're nicely priced.

Or should I remove their pad and just put my 5.5 LC backing plate on.

Edited: looks like this is my solution to maintain the cooled backing plate option - 5" Vented Orbital Backing Plate

- Griot's Garage (https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/5+inch+vented+orbital+backing+plate.do?sortby=ourP icksAscend&page=2&from=fn)

Bruno Soares
08-31-2020, 06:14 AM
Get the Griot’s 5” backing plate and use your pads.

TMQ
08-31-2020, 06:46 AM
Ditto with what Bruno said...

Tom

MarkD51
08-31-2020, 07:19 AM
Or just use your LC 5" Plate. I see no harm. At least short term. I don't see any issues with such.

For $20, not a huge expense, just grab one next time you order some stuff.
One would think the ventilated plate will hold some beneficial advantage.

But I'd probably be correct that with even the ventilated plate, one can still monkey a good pad with excessive heat, and over-working.

MrOneEyedBoh
08-31-2020, 10:21 AM
Yeah I wonder if there is some real world evidence of that vented back pad working to lower temps

PaulMys
08-31-2020, 04:45 PM
If you work smart, and do not let your pads get saturated by cleaning them on the fly and/or changing them often, you will not have to worry about the pads getting too hot.

I also make it a habit to feel the pad with the back of my index finger after every section pass.