PDA

View Full Version : How do you get etched bugs out of paint?

mjninc
08-30-2020, 07:24 PM
How do you get etched bugs out of paint? I think it's been there for over a year.
Imgur: Imgur image (https://imgur.com/N7hVHZu)

TMQ
08-30-2020, 07:27 PM
One year?????

Doubt you'll get it out. However---with a good polish, you can get it down a bit that won't look too bad.

But after a year---no...

Tom

Sizzle Chest
08-30-2020, 07:38 PM
Yep, you will have to polish/compound those areas and see what kind of results you get. Bug guts can be very acidic and detrimental to your paints health.

DUBL0WS6
08-30-2020, 08:20 PM
Probably the only way to remove would be by wetsanding and I wouldn't really recommend doing that on factory paint unless you are really experienced.

Desertnate
08-31-2020, 07:42 AM
One year?????

Doubt you'll get it out. However---with a good polish, you can get it down a bit that won't look too bad.

But after a year---no...

Tom

Agree. The organic bits of the bug might come out, but the clear coat will be etched and only option is to reduce the appearance of the damage.

I really hate dealing with bugs. When I drove my wife's previous "new" car home from a dealership three states away, it was already etched from bugs by the time I got it home. The trip only took two days... Her current car is damaged as well. She drives for work every day in rural agricultural areas. The amount of bugs is insane and needs to be cleaned almost daily, but life and schedules rarely provide the opportunity.