PDA

View Full Version : Gyeon Q2 Primer

Pages : [1] 2

noorth
08-28-2020, 07:12 PM
Hi folks, i've been looking around for some gyeon primer experiences/guides and i can't seem to find many.

I'm a machine polishing newbie. Maybe 15 hours.

I'm using a griots G15.

What type of pad do you use? speed setting?

First step is with 3D one with a griots orange pad on a white nissan. 3-4 passes and small sections.

I'm not chasing perfection. Just a basic cookie cutter approach that i will adjust accordingly has i go.

My LSP will be cosmic V2.

Bruno Soares
08-28-2020, 07:18 PM
Probably white foam pad, speed around 4.5 on the G15, 5 passes or so.
I haven’t used Gyeon Primer but have used CarPro Essence multiple times and I assume the experience will be similar. I love Essence.

noorth
08-28-2020, 07:22 PM
I haven’t used Gyeon Primer but have used CarPro Essence multiple times and I assume the experience will be similar. I love Essence.

The white griots pad - fast correcting pad - is super coarse. I assume your referring to the yellowish/white soft polishing pad?

Bruno Soares
08-28-2020, 07:38 PM
Oh, I’m familiar with the lake country colors, not Griot’s. But yeah, you’d use the pad they recommend for Perfecting Cream (fine polish pad)

noorth
08-28-2020, 08:05 PM
It will be interesting for sure. White is hard to see. I just spent 3 weeks painting lol

Last few days have been white on white. Poor lighting. Depending how you look at it lol Sun reflecting off the ocean. :)

noorth
08-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Thanks BSoares.

Looking at griots system its best to follow up the meduim polish/pad with the finishing pad/primer.

I was going to use the really soft black pad.

Few hours ago i read on the scholls site, they were adamant, you shouldn't use a soft black pad with there ultra fine polish. Just has well to use the light abrasives i guess.

The Guz
08-28-2020, 08:35 PM
Hi folks, i've been looking around for some gyeon primer experiences/guides and i can't seem to find many.

I'm using a griots G15.

First step is with 3D one with a griots orange pad on a white nissan. 3-4 passes and small sections.

I'm not chasing perfection. Just a basic cookie cutter approach that i will adjust accordingly has i go.

Based on what you have, I would use 3D One in a polishing pad followed by a prep wipe and then Cosmic V2.

Gyeon Primer is a fine polish though. Nothing out of the ordinary when using it.

98CayenneTA
08-28-2020, 09:01 PM

Essence is nothing short of amazing.
They definitely nailed that one.

noorth
08-28-2020, 09:08 PM
Based on what you have, I would use 3D One in a polishing pad followed by a prep wipe and then Cosmic V2.

Gyeon Primer is a fine polish though. Nothing out of the ordinary when using it.

You don't see any benefit with using a si02 primer?

I read 3d one doesn't have a overly good finish.

I'm actually going to measure out 2 tests spots this time.

Last car was blue so i could see a big turnaround. I used perfect finish on both a medium pad and finished up with the fine polishing pad on some panels. Very happy.

Also took out some deep scratches with pf and a coarse foam pad, from my ice scraper.

The Guz
08-29-2020, 03:11 AM
You don't see any benefit with using a si02 primer?

I read 3d one doesn't have a overly good finish.

I'm actually going to measure out 2 tests spots this time.

Last car was blue so i could see a big turnaround. I used perfect finish on both a medium pad and finished up with the fine polishing pad on some panels. Very happy.

Also took out some deep scratches with pf and a coarse foam pad, from my ice scraper.

3D one leaves a nice finish. It is not only pad dependent but paint dependent. I say to skip the primer to save time. If you already have perfect finish then use that. It leaves a great finish.

noorth
08-29-2020, 06:56 AM
3D one leaves a nice finish. It is not only pad dependent but paint dependent. I say to skip the primer to save time. If you already have perfect finish then use that. It leaves a great finish.

I see.

In your tests have you found si02 primers increased the performance of the LSP?

TTQ B4U
08-29-2020, 07:03 AM

I'm using a griots G15.

Welcome to the obsession! I'm Not familiar with the G15 as a machine but with the PRIMER product I use it with a light to medium polishing pad. Yellow Rupes or Green to Orange Lake Country pad. Really depends on how bad the finish is and the type of paint, harder or softer. When correcting use the highest speed. It's on really soft paint that you might need to slow it down if in the rare case you see any micro marring.

If you have already used 3D One and corrected the finish to where you're happy then you really won't need much beyond a light polishing pad and a few passes to remove any haze you may have.

I will add however, 3D One can and will finish out nicely with the same light pad. It's a product that stems from their previous products that finish out more based on the type of pad you're using. Used with a light polishing pad, you will finish out nice.....again, YMMV if it's a really soft paint.

I note this as PRIMER is also often used as a finishing or refining polish, but it's main plus is that it lays down a base-coat for other GYEON products. If you're using their brand ceramic coating it really helps. However, since you're using Cosmic V2 then you might be better using 3D One. I'm just not sure of the compatibility of PRIMER and Cosmic.

noorth
08-29-2020, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the obsession! I'm Not familiar with the G15 as a machine but with the PRIMER product I use it with a light to medium polishing pad. Yellow Rupes or Green to Orange Lake Country pad. Really depends on how bad the finish is and the type of paint, harder or softer. When correcting use the highest speed. It's on really soft paint that you might need to slow it down if in the rare case you see any micro marring.

If you have already used 3D One and corrected the finish to where you're happy then you really won't need much beyond a light polishing pad and a few passes to remove any haze you may have.

I will add however, 3D One can and will finish out nicely with the same light pad. It's a product that stems from their previous products that finish out more based on the type of pad you're using. Used with a light polishing pad, you will finish out nice.....again, YMMV if it's a really soft paint.

I note this as PRIMER is also often used as a finishing or refining polish, but it's main plus is that it lays down a base-coat for other GYEON products. If you're using their brand ceramic coating it really helps. However, since you're using Cosmic V2 then you might be better using 3D One. I'm just not sure of the compatibility of PRIMER and Cosmic.

Yeah its my new obsession thats for sure. Expensive too! :D

Maybe i will just do a few tests on the side panels.

I will be inspecting the paint a lot more this time around.

Gyeon does state it works with "any quartz coating".

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Good to know 3D one finishes down nicely i was starting to regret the purchase lol especially when i learn that it didn't have diminishing abrasives - not that i'm an expert just sounds good! - but if it works i don't care what it is.

Starting to really like this forum. I wasn't sure of the rules at first. For some reason i can't join autopia i tried numerous times. Maybe because i'm in canada..

The Guz
08-29-2020, 02:16 PM
I see.

In your tests have you found si02 primers increased the performance of the LSP?

All I know is Q2 Primer works great paired with Gyeon Cancoat and CarPro Essence works great paired with CarPro coatings.

You will find 3D One will be all you need in most cases. I am trying to save you time so you don't have to work so hard with minimal gains. Your test spot will tell you all you need to know.

noorth
08-29-2020, 02:22 PM
All I know is Q2 Primer works great paired with Gyeon Cancoat and CarPro Essence works great paired with CarPro coatings.

You will find 3D One will be all you need in most cases. I am trying to save you time so you don't have to work so hard with minimal gains. Your test spot will tell you all you need to know.

Thats mighty kind of you. :)

I actually have a lot of free time coming up. So its not an issue.

That said i don't want to waste my time with minimal gains. I will keep it in mind when i do my test spot.

Thanks.

3D one sure is popular. Since i'm in canada i buy from a canadian retailer. I was waiting about 6 or more weeks for 3D one to be back in stock. In about 2 weeks since it was back in stock its all gone again!

I'll be breaking out the polisher in less then a week!!