PDA

View Full Version : Repainted small sections - getting peeling?

Varyag
08-23-2020, 01:12 PM
Hi,

I'm a complete beginner at this, but I grinded down the old paint in a section around each wheel well to get rid of some rust there underneath the paint, and repainted with primer, 1k metallic paint and 1k clear coat.

In short, I masked (sometimes I had a hard tape line at a distance, sometimes I had a curved edge by folding paper) and then did some dry sanding with 180 grit, cleaned, heated primer, did three primer coats with 15 minutes in-between, let it dry for 2 hours, dry sanded with 400 grit with some feathering into the old paint, cleaned, heated base, did 3-5 base coats with 15 minutes in-between, heated clear coat, and 15 minutes after the last base coat I did 2-3 clear coats with 15 minutes in-between each.

When I say "clean", I mean wiping silicone remover alcohol with a microfiber cloth, and by "heating", I mean putting the can in hot tap water.

Now, on some places I get these ugly grainy white things, and it looks like clear coat overspray, judging by what I've found on the Internet. I tried wet sanding and polishing on the rear left wheel well (several weeks after putting on the clear coat) but that's when this line became all the more obvious, and it kind of looks like the results you get when googling "clear coat peeling" (though you can't feel or peel it).

On the left and right is the rear left wheel well. In the middle is the right front, which is showing kind of the same signs but not quite since I never wet sanded that area:
Pasteboard - Uploaded Image (https://pasteboard.co/JnJl47L.jpg)

Any ideas, what did I do wrong?