PDA

View Full Version : Right way of using wetsand to remove certain scratches?

TrustJesus
08-21-2020, 02:22 PM
Hello AG, good day.

I want to grasp the concept why some scratches will only improve using wetsand?

Can someone educate me on when to start wet sand to improve a scratch in general?

DUBL0WS6
08-21-2020, 10:34 PM
Some scratches are too deep for a mild compound tio effectively grind smooth. Sandpaper may knock the edge down. In some cases, it may be better to leave a deep scratch than try to level it completely. You sand through the clear you are SOL.

TrustJesus
08-21-2020, 10:37 PM
@DUBLOW

Would having a paint thickness gauge help to keep clear coat in check?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

DUBL0WS6
08-22-2020, 10:53 AM
Based on what I've read before, if you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, it's probably too deep to safely remove. I really can't comment as to how effective a paint thickness reader would be in this type of situation.

TrustJesus
08-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Got it, thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Dr Oldz
08-22-2020, 05:00 PM
My suggestion: If you aren’t experienced at sanding, don’t do it ....especially on factory clear coat. You are better off living with some scratches that sanding thru clear coat.

Rsurfer
08-22-2020, 05:15 PM
Hello AG, good day.

I want to grasp the concept why some scratches will only improve using wetsand?

Can someone educate me on when to start wet sand to improve a scratch in general?

What you are doing is leveling the rough edges surrounding the scratch. If the scratch is only penetrating the clear coat, then wet sanding will level the scratch and compounding/polishing will remove the sanding marks.

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail then you need to use touch up paint to fill the void. Filling a scratch is an art in itself. Takes multiple coats over several days. You don't want to apply too much base coat as you need to build up with clear coat. Exception, is if your using a base coat, clear coat mix.

TrustJesus
08-22-2020, 05:22 PM
Sounds good, I got it now.