PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question - Can you run a 19 amp pressure washer on a 15 amp circuit?

briarpatch
08-20-2020, 08:34 PM
So.....I want to put together a wall mount pressure washer setup. According to my breaker box, my outlets are on a 15 amp circuit. I'm looking at an AR630, which, according to their website, is 19 amp. Can I run this without tripping the breaker constantly? Obviously, I know nothing about electricity, except how to turn it off. Can I just change the breaker to a 20 amp?

WaxMaster1
08-20-2020, 08:46 PM
No you can't. Especially after you use the proper nozzle.

Yes, replacing with 20 amp, DEDICATED breaker is your best bet.

briarpatch
08-20-2020, 08:50 PM
No you can't. Especially after you use the proper nozzle.

Yes, replacing with 20 amp, DEDICATED breaker is your best bet.

by 'dedicated'....you mean one single outlet is on that breaker?...the breaker box says 'garage outlets'....so I'm guessing they're all on the one breaker/circuit?

Eric@CherryOnTop
08-20-2020, 08:51 PM
No you can't change a 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker. 20 amp circuits require 12 gauge wiring and 15 amp circuits only have 14 gauge. You would then be putting 19 amps for your pressure washer through 14 gauge wiring. You're inviting an electrical fire and good luck getting an insurance company to cover that one.

briarpatch
08-20-2020, 08:58 PM
thanks for the replies.....I guess the SunJoe will have to do for now

PaulMys
08-20-2020, 09:04 PM
thanks for the replies.....I guess the SunJoe will have to do for now

Any licensed electrician can install the required breaker/outlet for you in no time.

It really isn't a big deal, and should not cost an arm and a leg.

Make a few calls to your local guys. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Daviddear30
08-20-2020, 09:08 PM
I got a dedicated 20amp breaker and outlet added for under $100 Worth it I have the Ar630tss :)

briarpatch
08-20-2020, 09:52 PM
Any licensed electrician can install the required breaker/outlet for you in no time.

It really isn't a big deal, and should not cost an arm and a leg.

Make a few calls to your local guys. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

I actually have a brother who is an electrician....but he lives in Ohio. When I made this post, he was already in bed.....I figured with the knowledge base this forum has, I'd be able to get my questions answered. Maybe the next time he comes back to NJ, I'll get him to do it for me

TrustJesus
08-20-2020, 10:42 PM
No question is stupid, if that’s the case I’m the worst.

I ask simple questions, that don’t make sense. The reality is, I really don’t know the answer, and I’ve learned that it’s the smallest details that get you.