PDA

View Full Version : How long does your maintenance wash take?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

zmcnulty
08-20-2020, 07:55 PM
I drive a hatchback Mazda 3 and wind up spending 1.5-2 hours on my maintenance washes.

This includes a dedicated wheel wash, foam presoak, two-bucket wash, dry, spray-on maintenance wax and windows.

How long do your maintenance washes take? Any tips for speeding things up?

Bill D
08-20-2020, 08:05 PM
Washing is one thing I will never rush. If I am pressed for time I won’t try to squeeze it in and will wait until I have the time instead. That said, I think the shortest amount of time I spent on a wash was about 2 hours and 15 mins. I know I usually go longer than that. This is from the moment the hose water hits the car til the final dab of the drying towel.

I won’t get into my process here....

zmcnulty
08-20-2020, 08:08 PM
Please do get into your process...

Thanks for the reply!

Finick
08-20-2020, 08:12 PM
Honestly, it depends.

The biggest fluctuations come from what I use after the rinse to actually wash. Sometimes I use a car soap, sometimes I just follow my pressure rinse with a rinseless wash so I can skip the rinsing step (I prefer doing this, but I’m currently trying to use up a lot of products.)

the other important thing is how well I’ve kept up with keeping the paint protected. If I’m being good about it I don’t even really see dirt on my wash media after a thorough rinse with my pressure washer.

If I’m really trying to get it done I could probably manage it in an hour, but I just like to take my time. I washed my car yesterday and I had nothing at all going on that evening (big surprise) and I think I maybe spent 3 hours doing it? Just taking my time, enjoying the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill D
08-20-2020, 08:13 PM
It’s a little too involved for most people. If you reallly want to know, PM me

PaulMys
08-20-2020, 08:36 PM
I have several different washes:

A quick RW to knock off a "rain drive" or just a week of road grime if it didn't rain. (about an hour)

A RW that includes wheels. (hour +)

A full bucket wash with several mitts that includes wheels and glass cleaner. (2 hours+)

A full bucket wash with several mitts that includes wheels, wheel wells, tires, glass and trim. (3 hours)

I don't go full on "Raped Ape" every time. I am WAY past that stage............ ;)

TrustJesus
08-20-2020, 08:40 PM
I wish I could go back when my vehicle was mint. After trying to wash it quickly, I created swirls and marring.

I’m not saying take all day, but once paint is swirled, it’s time to polish.

I’m new, but with the help of Mike and everyone here I am becoming better. I don’t know your level of detail experience but stick around and LISTEN to everyone, there advice will save you headaches and time.

Right guys?

Jayfro
08-20-2020, 09:25 PM
The weekly exterior only wash with the car being dusty/dirty? Probably about an hour to an hour and a half.

I usually do wheels and tires first, then foam and rinse, one bucket wash with 11 MF towels, dry, tire gel and call it the day.

Full “meal deal” with interior and glass would be around 3-4 hours.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

MIsnowman
08-20-2020, 09:29 PM
Depends how long the line is... :xyxthumbs:

zmcnulty
08-20-2020, 09:38 PM
How do the rinseless washes work? Is it like a normal soap, but it doesn’t leave water spots?

zmcnulty
08-20-2020, 10:34 PM
Haha, “raped ape” is a new one for me, but I totally getcha. I feel like there’s no time to rest during a wash. :buffing::buffing:

zmcnulty
08-20-2020, 10:37 PM
Sounds like we’re on the same page. Haha

Billy Baldone
08-21-2020, 05:28 AM
If it’s my own personal vehicle? Wash/dry/windows/wheels/tires/ spray with BeadMaker.... 45 minutes to an hour tops. Jeep Cherokee

Mike Phillips
08-21-2020, 07:03 AM
Me?

2 hours

This includes 1 hour for wheels and tires and that's assuming the wheels and tires are already in great or clean or well-maintained, or regularly maintained condition.

If the wheels have baked-on brake dust and road grime and the tires have years of crap dressing on them - then the wheels and tires will take longer.

See my articles on "must have wheel and tire cleaning brushes" and using water-based tire dressing instead of solvent based tire dressings.

:)

Desertnate
08-21-2020, 07:12 AM
For me it depends on which vehicle I'm washing and how much I'm going to do; it varies.

For my BMW 4-Series: A little over 1 hour for a simple exterior wash/dry. Add 30 minutes to vacuum out the interior.
Wife's SUV: Easily 1.5 hours for an exterior wash. Another hour or two to clean out the interior.
Daughter's Honda Fit: 30 minutes to wash. Another 30 minutes to vacuum the interior.

One thing I've come to discover recently is it easily takes almost as long to wash the wheels on my cars as it does to wash the entire vehicle itself. A small/average sized car really doesn't take long to wash if it is kept pretty clean. On our SUV with simple wheel designs and much more surface area with a roof requiring me to get out a step ladder, to balance starts to shift to the body taking longer than the wheels.