PDA

View Full Version : Tire Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

Rudy614
08-18-2020, 11:42 AM
First off, I did use the search and I've been reading and reading but can't find an answer to my specific question. I figured I'd have no problem but I'm coming up empty handed. I"m looking for a good dedicated tire cleaner that is safe for the stock black painted wheels on my Chevy Trail Boss just in case I get some overspray on them. I don't plan on putting any sort of dressing on the tires, I just want a good clean black rubber tire. I'm just worried if I use something too aggressive and I get some on the wheels and it sits on them for a little while I'm scrubbing the tires it could damage them. Right now I'm using Sonax wheel cleaner and I'm really liking that stuff. I appreciate any input you guys can give me.

Eldorado2k
08-18-2020, 12:13 PM
You say you’re not planning on using any tire dressing and just want clean black tires? Then I would recommend you use Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner. It’s one of the few tire cleaners that’s not overly aggressive like most tire cleaners that can cause tires to bloom after cleaning them.

Instead you’re left with a natural clean black tire. This tire cleaner can even be used as a waterless tire cleaner. Simply spray on, wait 15 seconds, and wipe off with a towel and you’re done. Really works that fast.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/43ba47130513b71530e4f0e0946aafa5.jpg

Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html)

I can’t 100% guarantee that it’ll be safe if it gets on those wheels, but I don’t see why it would cause a problem.

JDGolden
08-18-2020, 12:31 PM
^ interesting product, I think I may give it a shot as well.

Eldorado2k
08-18-2020, 12:36 PM
^ interesting product, I think I may give it a shot as well.

It works so good as a rubber cleaner that I mainly use it for cleaning rubber matts. APC can clean them... But this stuff not only cleans them, but leaves them deep dark black. In 15 seconds too!

TrustJesus
08-18-2020, 01:10 PM
I’m a fan of Mothers, there stuff is usually pretty safe. I would maybe try a little section and keep it away from rims if possible.

Finemess
08-18-2020, 03:01 PM
This works well. Spray on Amazing Roll Off and watch the dirt roll off! (https://www.autogeek.net/amazing-roll-off.html)

57Rambler
08-18-2020, 03:11 PM
You say you’re not planning on using any tire dressing and just want clean black tires? Then I would recommend you use Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner. It’s one of the few tire cleaners that’s not overly aggressive like most tire cleaners that can cause tires to bloom after cleaning them.

Instead you’re left with a natural clean black tire. This tire cleaner can even be used as a waterless tire cleaner. Simply spray on, wait 15 seconds, and wipe off with a towel and you’re done. Really works that fast.

I use this stuff too, works great. My only suggestion is to use old rags/towels for the wipe off as they get really filthy.

Eldorado2k
08-18-2020, 03:22 PM
I use this stuff too, works great. My only suggestion is to use old rags/towels for the wipe off as they get really filthy.

Yea that’s the main reason it’s not my go to for tires and that bottle lasts me quite a while... Everyones different when it comes to their towels and also their needs. I have a hard time sacrificing even my oldest/cheapest towels I guess. Lol

57Rambler
08-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Yea that’s the main reason it’s not my go to for tires and that bottle lasts me quite a while... Everyones different when it comes to their towels and also their needs. I have a hard time sacrificing even my oldest/cheapest towels I guess. Lol

I actually buy my "sacrificial" towels/rags. They are old repurposed and cleaned pieces of T-shirts and come in weighted quantities - 1 lb., 5 lb., 10 lb. I get the 10 lb. box for around $15-20 (depends on whether you want all white or mixed color) through an industrial supply company. Prices really vary though ... HD, Lowes, Grainger sell the same 10 lb. box for up to $30 or more.

Besides using these for grungy car detailing tasks I also use them for my furniture refinishing work, painting cleanup, polishing jobs, etc. Then just pitch them.

Eldorado2k
08-19-2020, 12:03 AM
I actually buy my "sacrificial" towels/rags. They are old repurposed and cleaned pieces of T-shirts and come in weighted quantities - 1 lb., 5 lb., 10 lb. I get the 10 lb. box for around $15-20 (depends on whether you want all white or mixed color) through an industrial supply company. Prices really vary though ... HD, Lowes, Grainger sell the same 10 lb. box for up to $30 or more.

Besides using these for grungy car detailing tasks I also use them for my furniture refinishing work, painting cleanup, polishing jobs, etc. Then just pitch them.

That sounds like a great idea.

Rudy614
08-19-2020, 06:48 AM
Thank you guys for all of your help. I greatly appreciate it!

Rsurfer
08-19-2020, 05:06 PM

Instead you’re left with a natural clean black tire. This tire cleaner can even be used as a waterless tire
cleaner. Simply spray on, wait 15 seconds, and wipe off with a towel and you’re done. Really works that fast.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/43ba47130513b71530e4f0e0946aafa5.jpg

Mothers Back to Black Tire
Cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html)

I can’t 100% guarantee that it’ll be safe if it gets on those wheels, but I don’t see why it would cause a problem.

You said Mother's Tire cleaner, but your picture shows Mother's Tire Renew. Are they not two different products?

57Rambler
08-19-2020, 06:20 PM
You said Mother's Tire cleaner, but you picture shows Mother's Tire Renew. Are they not two different products?

They're the same product, Mother's just keeps fooling with the labeling. I think the newest label says "Tire Cleaner" but the bottles I have say "Tire Renew" and they even differ slightly from Eldo's. A search for "tire renew" on Mother's web site doesn't yield any result(s). Another explanation could be that they have one label for retail sales (Wallyworld, Pep Boys, etc.) and a different label for commercial sales.

Eldorado2k
08-20-2020, 01:32 AM
That’s correct.^
When I went to get the link I noticed there’s no longer a product called tire renew, but the description is the exact same as it ever was, so all things point to it being the same product with new name & labeling.

forrest@mothers
08-20-2020, 08:58 AM
They're the same product, Mother's just keeps fooling with the labeling. I think the newest label says "Tire Cleaner" but the bottles I have say "Tire Renew" and they even differ slightly from Eldo's. A search for "tire renew" on Mother's web site doesn't yield any result(s). Another explanation could be that they have one label for retail sales (Wallyworld, Pep Boys, etc.) and a different label for commercial sales.

..."just keeps fooling with the labeling"? We changed the name, once, several years ago. And, no there isn't a different label for different channels of distribution. The image shown above was the original name, which was simplified to "Tire Cleaner" to better describe what it does.

Here's the product in AutoGeek's store:

Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html)