PDA

View Full Version : So I finished my first REAL detailing of my 2012 Forester

defstatic
08-16-2020, 06:15 PM
Wow... Did I learn a lot and also learn that something are not what I expected.

The first major thing I learned is clay bars are amazing! Holy moly, the clay bar was the star of the show. I never realized just how bad the contaminates were! I mean, my mind was blown! I am pretty sure I ruined half a clear bar doing it. Then again, it's a 2012 Subaru Forester from New England that I am pretty sure never even got a hand wash only touchless washes.

But my gosh... I mean... I thought it would help but I didn't know how amazing it is! I wants from run through my neighborhood showing everyone the difference on their cars LOL. Literally I did the hood and fenders and the. Was alike wow, it feels like new and everything else feels like sand paper.

The next thing I learned is I do need a proper DA legit buffer. Even if it is the $60 Baiter from Harbor Freight. They didn't have one in stock and I wasn't paying for shipping. And today was a cool overcast day and I needed to get this done. So I picked up a Ryobi plug in 6in hand orbital buffer. I would barely recommend it for waxing. It did not helpuch at all. Maybe it did but I think a legit DA buffer would get me way better results

With that said... After the clay bar I hit it with the Ultimate Compund. I was expecting better results from this. It did help make the paint look and feel like glass. But there were some imperfections and scratches it barely touched. With that said, I think that is my problem not having a right bugger and not understanding want a really light scratch was vs a light scratch vs a medium.

Some really light scratches it did take out or cover up. There is next to no swirling or hazing now. Not that there was a ton. But for some reason I was expecting better. I know it's not a Compund like I am used to, but I really felt more like this was a polish. Some light scratches it just kind of barely covered up.

Then I hit it with the Gold Glass Wax Paste. This went as expected.

Over all I was happy with the 3 hours I out into it LOL. Maybe next time I will be faster. And maybe as I get better and understand more.

But man, that clay bar! Wow! The paint really does feel so smooth now. And it does have a deeper floss and better shine. The only part I did not do yet is the front bumper and
The roof. I ran out of steam and when I got to the roof I found a be bunch of pine tar.

PaulMys
08-16-2020, 06:30 PM
Welcome to the addiction............ ;)

JDGolden
08-17-2020, 09:29 AM
I remember that first "clay bar high". It really makes a difference.

With a proper tool you'll love the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.