PDA

View Full Version : Scuffs/marks on Textured dashbord

Upscalevehicle
08-16-2020, 04:14 PM
Hi.i don’t know how but most probably from the cloth I used on my dashboard ,my almost new car has marks on the textured dashboard which is dark grey in color.The marks are like light grey scatches.
Is there any way to get rid of them.
Which micro fiber cloth is best for car interior specially dashbord.
thanks

57Rambler
08-16-2020, 04:41 PM
You don't need a super high-quality MF towel for car interior work like a dashboard, door panels, etc. If your MF towel did cause the scratches it would most likely be because it was contaminated with something.

Here's a good primer on MF towel care from Mike P.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/110907-how-why-when-inspect-your-microfiber-towels-when-detailing-cars.html)

The most relevant parts with regard to towels causing scratching are ...

The down side of microfiber towels

The unique feature that makes microfiber towels gentle to paint is also their Achilles heel, that is the plush soft nap made from miniaturized strands of fibers are like traps for foreign debris and abrasive particles like dirt, dried plant leaves, sticks, rocks, brake dust, etc.

Abrasive particulates
When foreign debris lands on a microfiber towel it can bury into the nap and lodge itself firmly. If the foreign debris, often abrasive in form is rubbed against the paint - the risk is high that it's going to scratch the paint. If you've already compounded and polished a car's finish and then accidentally scratch the paint while wiping off a coat of wax - all your hard work will be undone. This is why it's important to not only have a method of storing both clean towels but also storing dirty towels until they go through the washing and drying process.

If you truly have scratches on the dash material, your best bet is to use a product which has some "conditioning" properties. It will not remove the scratches but it will lessen their appearance to some extent. I'd give this a try ...

Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner (https://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-vinyl-and-rubber-cleaner-conditioner.html)