PDA

View Full Version : Wiping down car every use?

Pages : [1] 2

animescreen
08-15-2020, 09:04 AM
I have a bmw x3 m40i 2019 and i just drive usually on weekend but once in a while drive whenever i feel like it. Summer time for example. If i wipe down dirt with waterless wash everytime im back in my garage is that bad? Just get dirt off and reveal wax more
I use new towels for every panel and do the gary dean method on youtube. Im sure swirl marks might occut slightly but i do polish every 4 to 5 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill D
08-15-2020, 09:12 AM
Just remember clear coats are thin and if you are polishing every five months you may unnecessarily be compromising it little by little. Best to properly wash the car when it’s dirty.

animescreen
08-15-2020, 09:14 AM
Polish should be once a year?

Bill D
08-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Me personally, I’ve never instilled marring to begin with due to my washing technique but I would inspect the finish periodically for defects and only when there are a decent amount polish, this could be once a year. Upon doing that, I would work to improve your washing technique so you don’t get them in the first place.

WillSports3
08-15-2020, 12:57 PM
I would not polish more than once every two year to be honest. If it's a show car, it won't get driven a lot anyway. If it's a daily, you gotta balance clearcoat preservation with looks.
Best thing to do is to improve your wash techniques.

Eldorado2k
08-15-2020, 01:06 PM
As far as wiping your car down as frequently as you’re describing and the way you’re doing it, I say that’s totally fine. I’m a believer that wiping down a lightly dirty car is safer than washing a full on dirty car any way you slice it. It’s faster too.

Bill D
08-15-2020, 01:25 PM
You have to keep in mind the hardness of the paint. My Honda has soft paint. If I were to wipe it down while it was dirty I’d probably be in trouble. That is why I wash it if it gets dirty and have never had to polish it.

Eldorado2k
08-15-2020, 01:56 PM
I watched this video a while back... I give this guy alot of credit for finally tackling this subject and posting a definitive ballpark answer.

Spoiler? Iirc he aggressively compounded the paint 60 times before it showed and measured true signs of failure.

Jason Burns A Car... How Many Times Can You REALLY Polish Paint? - YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBGT7tNqV1w)

animescreen
08-15-2020, 01:59 PM
I watched this video a while back... I give this guy alot of credit for finally tackling this subject and posting a definitive ballpark answer.

Spoiler? Iirc he aggressively compounded the paint 60 times before it showed and measured true signs of failure.

Jason Burns A Car... How Many Times Can You REALLY Polish Paint? - YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBGT7tNqV1w)

So once a year do that then car will be ok for 60 years lol

DUBL0WS6
08-15-2020, 01:59 PM
I see people claiming that they don't get marring by washing a car, etc. That's pure bs. You might not see the marring on some colors but marring occurs. I've seen micro-marring from wiping a mf towel across clean dark paint.

Eldorado2k
08-15-2020, 02:11 PM
I've seen micro-marring from wiping a mf towel across clean dark paint.

If that were true, you’d never really be able to wipe compound/polish off and reveal corrected paint.. Sure there’s so called “polishing oils”, but I’ve gone way beyond just wiping polish off and certainly dry wiped clean paint with clean microfiber towels without issues.

Using a quick detailer to wipe down 1 day worth of “dust” is safer than waterless washing a light/moderately dirty vehicle. Yes I said it.

There’s so many people including so called preachers of the gospel who despise the use of quick detailers for anything beyond using them as a “drying aid”... I think it’s them who are the “fools”
Using a quick detailer spray as intended is completely safe.

Quick detail sprays weren’t created for use as a “drying aid”
The concept doesn’t even make sense...

WillSports3
08-15-2020, 02:27 PM
You just have to make sure it's the right one and right use. I've seen people recommend detail spray as a waterless wash to others. That's worrying.

Eldorado2k
08-15-2020, 02:30 PM
You just have to make sure it's the right one and right use. I've seen people recommend detail spray as a waterless wash to others. That's worrying.

Exactly. There’s a right way and a wrong way to use them. But I refuse to believe that Every guy you see wiping his car down at a car show is most certainly an “idiot” who’s ruining his paint..

DUBL0WS6
08-15-2020, 02:45 PM
If that were true, you’d never really be able to wipe compound/polish off and reveal corrected paint.. Sure there’s so called “polishing oils”, but I’ve gone way beyond just wiping polish off and certainly dry wiped clean paint with clean microfiber towels without issues.

Using a quick detailer to wipe down 1 day worth of “dust” is safer than waterless washing a light/moderately dirty vehicle. Yes I said it.

There’s so many people including so called preachers of the gospel who despise the use of quick detailers for anything beyond using them as a “drying aid”... I think it’s them who are the “fools”
Using a quick detailer spray as intended is completely safe.

Quick detail sprays weren’t created for use as a “drying aid”
The concept doesn’t even make sense...

Some colors are really weird. Lighter colors are more forgiving. But a dark metallic is a serious PITA when it comes to micromarring.

Bill D
08-15-2020, 02:46 PM
I see people claiming that they don't get marring by washing a car, etc. That's pure bs. You might not see the marring on some colors but marring occurs. I've seen micro-marring from wiping a mf towel across clean dark paint.

Sounds like the MF wasn’t soft enough. There’s so many grades of MFs out there. That’s why it’s so important to choose wisely. So far, apparently the only test we have for MF softness is the CD Test.