PDA

View Full Version : Truck Shopping

Rtrick87
08-12-2020, 10:57 AM
I couldn’t find another category on the tapatalk app so I hope it’s ok here.

I’m looking for a new truck as my Durango lease ends. I’m looking for some tips to help me get the best price as I’m a terrible negotiator. Lol

2020 Silverado RST from the current dealership msrp $49365 and “on sale” for $41,865. I checked KBB for same truck speced almost identical and it has it set between $43,000-47,000. The dealerships i checked out yesterday had the lower models listed for $46,000 so obviously with the “RST” you get more truck for the money. I currently pay $586 for my leased Durango since I had bad equity on my previous car. So if I could finance for around that I wouldn’t mind but would love to be lower. I spoke to this same dealership that has the RST back in late April and they had me at $440 for a lease and 0 down and 12k a year to lease.

So if the truck is “on sale” for $41,000, and KBB says fair market is $43,000-47,000, would there be any way to talk them down if I were to finance? I feel like dealers have the edge right now, people are still buying cars but inventory is low because the production of these cars has been cut by 50%. Any help is appreciated.

Here’s a link to the truck and I’ve attached a screenshot of the KBB
New 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 RST Crew Cab Pickup in Braintree #C69651 | Quirk Chevrolet (https://www.quirkchevy.com/inventory/2020-chevrolet-silverado-1500-rst-4wd-crew-cab-pickup-1gcuyeed1lz279932)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vobro
08-12-2020, 12:26 PM
Your gonna have to know what the “sale” includes, most rebates are not the same for lease or buy. A lot of my family work at dealerships and you are correct, inventory is low and they are less willing to meet prices pre- COVID. On March 19 I bought my Silverado listed at $51, I was out the door under $40k with tax and no trade. There’s always opportunity to buy lower just depends how much patience and time you have

Mike Phillips
08-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Nice,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-101-a/70519d1597247815-truck-shopping-img_1119-jpg

I’m looking for some tips to help me get the best price as I’m a terrible negotiator. Lol

Come on guys.... we must have some savvy folks here that can share the best tips and techniques for getting the best deal?

I get a newsletter on this topic, I'll see if I can find it and share it here.

:)

waddell64
08-12-2020, 04:16 PM
In the world of the internet, I like to find a few vehicles that interest me. In your case, find a couple of different dealers with similar Silverados that have the options that you like and inquire through their website about their best prices. I've had a couple dealers compete with each other for my business.

Mike Phillips
08-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Here’s the website I was talking about,

How to Buy a New or Used Car and Get the Best Deal Every Time - RealCarTips.com (http://www.realcartips.com/)

PaulMys
08-12-2020, 05:30 PM
After doing your research and coming in with a fair offer, always be ready to just get up and walk out if the dealer is playing hard ball.

Coatingsarecrack
08-13-2020, 05:16 AM
Find out what all rebates and incentives are before you drive. Drive it. Ask if willing to show and sell at invoice minus any rebates and incentives.

Do this at end of month as dealers are trying to git quota’s with about a week left. Don’t buy say it’s more rhan you want to spend. If you don’t get a call back with in that week that is best price their willing to offer.

Make sure to look up invoice on line. Also check manufacturers website to learn all rebates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
08-13-2020, 06:45 AM
After doing your research and coming in with a fair offer, always be ready to just get up and walk out if the dealer is playing hard ball.

For sure. Here's your exist conversation.

Thank you for your time and help showing us the Ford F150. Before we can make decision, we'll need some time to talk this over as well as our other options.

Smile, elbow-bump and politely exit.

Mike Phillips
08-13-2020, 06:48 AM
Find out what all rebates and incentives are before you drive. Drive it. Ask if willing to show and sell at invoice minus any rebates and incentives.

Do this at end of month as dealers are trying to git quota’s with about a week left.

These are the topics with tips shared by Greg on his website. His most recent newsletter arrived in my inbox last night.

How to Get the Best Price on a New Car - Step by Step Instructions (http://www.realcartips.com/guide/newcars.shtml)

FUNX650
08-13-2020, 10:04 AM
•I always start by getting the “real invoice” for
the vehicle I’m interested in driving off the lot.
-(“real invoice”: the invoice initiated from the
Manufacturer, not some Dealership‘s perverted
version—with their inanely overpriced add-ons.)

-{Knowing that I’ll never get to see the actual
Dealership’s costs/pricing-invoice (incurred from
their doing business with the Manufacturers—which
is the price from which they negotiate up from);
yet, by having the “real invoice“ in hand: it gives me
a good place to start negotiating down from.}

Back to your posted scenario:
•Once you have the “real invoice“ in hand, compare
it to the current on-sale price (include incentives).

-IMO: Although that $41,000 sale price is decent...
I’d definitely have to consider, especially at this
stage of the 2020 model year, of offering them no
more than $39,500.

-Of course you may wish to go lower;
TO WIT: YMMV.

Bob

DMiglio
08-13-2020, 10:37 AM
Nothing more I love than automobiles, new, old, very old, beaters..

Nothing more I despise than car salesman, dealerships and their finance department!

Some very good tips by all, I like to read about this as well so I’ll give a few tips and probably echo a few statements by others.

-if it’s listed as “internet price” be sure to lock in the deal with the internet finance office. When you go to the dealer ask to speak to “internet sales department” as most often the salesman will NOT honor any negotiation.

-if you and the salesman are butting heads or they’re meeting all the stereotypes we associate with salesman, ask to speak to a different salesman, ask to speak with the manager directly or walk out!

-if/when you are dealing with a salesman that seems genuine and is listening to you, be sure to treat them how you’d like to be treated.

You can still haggle, still have some back and forth negotiation and if it’s not working out, walk away, but keep their card because you know the two of you “matched up.”

-definitely work a few different dealerships against each other, find same vehicle, same specs if possible and see who can meet your price

-always keep your monthly payment a secret! Focus on getting an out the door price first and foremost, the dealerships looove to hear what you’d spend monthly because the finance department can work those numbers however they’d like!

-speaking of finance department, might want to get preapproved through your bank although I understand now dealerships are giving very good financing offers.. 0% even.

Sure there’s more but I’m short on time right now!

JDGolden
08-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Pretty good tips above.

As mentioned, never be afraid to stand up and leave. I've done it plenty of times. "Thanks for your time, I need to weigh my options/we are too far apart on price" etc.

MIsnowman
08-13-2020, 09:29 PM
The best way to get the best deal is to not go in person until you’ve reached the price you want. Some will argue that the dealer won’t give their best price via email because they think you are just using them to beat down another dealer and this is true for some dealers, but the ones that actually want to make a sale will be aggressive with their pricing.

If you go in person, once they have you in the building they’ll do their best to pressure you into a sale. Some have no problem walking out as others have suggested, but many will end up with a vehicle that they paid too much for.

Also, always ask for a breakdown of the price so you can see how much the dealer is actually discounting the vehicle vs factory incentives/rebates. Many dealers will make it look like they are discounting the vehicle thousands of dollars when all they’re really doing is apppyijg factory incentives that are available to everyone.

Lastly, make sure you’re always working off of selling price and not monthly payment. Dealers will often do some “creative” financing to meet a certain per month payment amount, but in the end you might end up with a few extra payments or a larger down payment than you realized and thus a higher purchase price.