PDA

View Full Version : Ipa prep ratio ?

ABSAV
08-08-2020, 06:37 AM
What is the proper ratio of either 91% or 70% alcohol to water for a prep? Where and when do you use it? Is this fine to use instead of a name brand prep? Thanks ahead for your advice to this rookie first time detailer.

Mike Phillips
08-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Since this is your first post to the forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

:)

Mike Phillips
08-08-2020, 09:38 AM
As to your question - here's a tip...

If you have any questions about detailing, often times if you type a few key words into Skynet and add my first and last name - chances are very good I have an article on it and Skynet will index or find it for you.

For example - I just typed the below into Skynet,

how to dilute IPA Mike Phillips

And the first thing it brought up is my article on how to dilute IPA

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

For the record I don't now and never have recommended using IPA as a panel wipe of any sort. I explain why I wrote the article in the second paragraph of the article. It was because we had a expert on this forum telling everyone else to do this without any precautions LIKE I went on to include in the article for those that choose to go down this road.

And the expert that was always telling everyone to use IPA is now and has been Self-Banned for about 8 years.

Easy come, easy go. :laughing:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/Skynet.JPG

ABSAV
08-08-2020, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your reply, Mike. After reading it and doing a bit more research I believe I will stay from the IPA solution and go with a name brand. Thanks again for your time and updated info. ABSAV

Mike Phillips
08-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Thanks for your reply, Mike. After reading it and doing a bit more research I believe I will stay from the IPA solution and go with a name brand. Thanks again for your time and updated info.

ABSAV

What will your first detailing project be?

What will you use for your LSP?

Rsurfer
08-08-2020, 01:41 PM
What is the proper ratio of either 91% or 70% alcohol to water for a prep? Where and when do you use it? Is this fine to use instead of a name brand prep? Thanks ahead for your advice to this rookie first time detailer.

Can you even find 91-70% rubbing alcohol?

Mike Phillips
08-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Can you even find 91-70% rubbing alcohol?

I haven't looked myself but as we all type in this thread on Saturday, August 8th 2020 we're 7-8 months into the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Just for point of reference for everyone that may read this into the future and wondering what the context is?

Products like IPA are scarce do to their use for killing and sanitizing.

Kamakaz1961
08-08-2020, 02:02 PM
I use Gyeon Prep as an IPA. The mixture is set perfect! Or you can use an equivalent brand. No guess work needed! That's great for my small pea sized brain to work with!...LOL

ABSAV
08-08-2020, 03:01 PM
I'm doing the 2004 sunbaked Pilot we talked about. I have ordered into Autogeek and waiting for supplies but it seems every time I watch your instruction videos I see something I need and put in another order (fantastic videos by the way). What is LSP?

Rsurfer
08-08-2020, 04:04 PM
I'm doing the 2004 sunbaked Pilot we talked about. I have ordered into Autogeek and waiting for supplies but it seems every time I watch your instruction videos I see something I need and put in another order (fantastic videos by the way). What is LSP?

Last Step Product

Mike Phillips
08-09-2020, 10:01 AM
What is LSP?

It's a term I coined back in the 1990's before the Internet.

It means,

Last Step Process

Most people think it means Last Step Product and that works, but it actually means last step process. It just so happens that for most people, the last step they do to car paint is seal it with something, a wax, a sealant or a coating.

But if you worked in a body shop and just painted a car, because you're not supposed to SEAL the paint until 30 days air-cure has passed you might instead apply 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, which is NOT a sealant but a water-soluble oil.

The application of the glaze would be your last step process or your LSP.

If you were to go to Skynet and type in a few key words plus my first and last name, like this,

LSP definition mike phillips

You would pull up this article I wrote in 2010 over 10 years ago.

LSP - The definition and the story behind the term (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24073-lsp-definition-story-behind-term.html)

I'm happy to say that through a lot of time, hard work and the ability to take what's in my head and make it appear via typing - I'm the root sources for a lot of the terms and techniques that are used widespread in the car detailing industry - worldwide.

That's just a fact.

Mike Phillips
08-09-2020, 10:04 AM
I'm doing the 2004 sunbaked Pilot we talked about.

Now I'm up to speed.

You are the gentleman I spoke with over the phone this last week and after answering your questions on the phone and then sending you an e-mail with links to more information PLUS the link to join the forum - you did in fact join the forum.

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

The root source for accurate car detailing information

:buffing: