PDA

View Full Version : New small polisher

Pages : [1] 2

cdnrod
08-07-2020, 08:52 PM
Hi all

I haven't been active here but thank you all for all the great sharing and advice I have picked up from the forum.

Here's my question. I have a 15mm DA that I am using with good success, but need something more compact that takes smaller pads so I can get into the curves and smaller areas on a couple Camaros I am now taking take care of.

I have narrowed down my choices to a Flex PE8 or Griots G8.

Very different but both will I think do the job and are well reviewed.

It seems like the Flex may be more powerful being a rotary. That might be nice when knocking out deeper defects in small areas.

The Griots is priced well, and being a DA gives me a little more confidence to go after a scratch without as much risk of harm.

Anyone have thoughts on this decision?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

dennis hiip
08-07-2020, 09:02 PM
Check out the Adams mini. Great reviews. I have one and like it a lot.

custmsprty
08-07-2020, 10:04 PM
I just bought the new Griots small DA and it's great, a big improvement over the previous generation.

Griot's G8 Mini Random Orbital Polisher, 3 Inch Polisher, 3 inch Dual Action Polisher, 3" buffer (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html)

And don't forget about the lifetime warranty.

ducksfan
08-07-2020, 10:17 PM
I have a PE8 and almost never use it. It's geared too high. Headlights is what I use it for now.

I would get a Flex or Griots mini DA.

DUBL0WS6
08-07-2020, 11:12 PM
If you have a PC you can get a 4 inch backing plate and pads

Dr Oldz
08-08-2020, 02:21 AM
Spend the money and get a Flex PiXiE. Trust me.... one of the best tools out there.

cdnrod
08-08-2020, 11:35 AM
I just bought the new Griots small DA and it's great, a big improvement over the previous generation.

Griot's G8 Mini Random Orbital Polisher, 3 Inch Polisher, 3 inch Dual Action Polisher, 3" buffer (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html)

And don't forget about the lifetime warranty.Thanks for the feedback! The warranty is on thing i like. Plus, when the US/Canada border reopens I can visit Griots, which is not that far from me.

cdnrod
08-08-2020, 11:38 AM
If you have a PC you can get a 4 inch backing plate and padsGood thought. No PC. I have an Adams SK 15.
I think ultimately I would prefer to have two separate polishers so I can bounce between easily mid job if needed.

Mike Phillips
08-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Hi all

I haven't been active here but thank you all for all the great sharing and advice I have picked up from the forum.

Here's my question. I have a 15mm DA that I am using with good success, but need something more compact that takes smaller pads so I can get into the curves and smaller areas on a couple Camaros I am now taking take care of.

What happens when you try to buff the curved and smaller areas with the 15mm polisher?

I have narrowed down my choices to a Flex PE8 or Griots G8.

Two great choices. I've never been a huge fan of the PE8 because the lowest RPM isi 1100 RPM and that's a tick on the fast side for doing delicate or intricate or surgical buffing for my taste.

If you want to go rotary - get the cordless FLEX PE14 - it's not that much larger than the PE8 and dials down to 400 RPM plus - no cord.

The PiXiE is also a great choice - no cord plus you get both a rotary and a 12mm free spin random orbital in one tool. And can maintain pad rotation.

:)

cdnrod
08-08-2020, 11:42 AM
Spend the money and get a Flex PiXiE. Trust me.... one of the best tools out there.Sure looks it. I just don't know if I can splash that kind of dough for tool I will use only a few times per year.

Too many other toys to buy [emoji16]

cdnrod
08-08-2020, 11:53 AM
What happens when you try to buff the curved and smaller areas with the 15mm polisher?

Two great choices. I've never been a huge fan of the PE8 because the lowest RPM isi 1100 RPM and that's a tick on the fast side for doing delicate or intricate or surgical buffing for my taste.

If you want to go rotary - get the cordless FLEX PE14 - it's not that much larger than the PE8 and dials down to 400 RPM plus - no cord.

The PiXiE is also a great choice - no cord plus you get both a rotary and a 12mm free spin random orbital in one tool. And can maintain pad rotation.

:)

Thanks for the suggestions!

The two challenges are maintaining pad rotation and effectively cutting. Obviously related. User skill and experience may play into this too [emoji12]

My thoughts are that a smaller tool will just make the curved and tight areas a bit easier and faster.

Lots to consider. That's a couple votes for GG8 and a couple for PiXiE.

Maybe I need to revisit my budget...

Rsurfer
08-08-2020, 01:09 PM
My thoughts are that a smaller tool will just make the curved and tight areas a bit easier and faster.

Lots to consider. That's a couple votes for GG8 and a couple for PiXiE.

Maybe I need to revisit my budget...

German made versus China made.

VISITOR
08-08-2020, 06:06 PM
can't go wrong with either one. both companies are solid as are their products and they back them as well. i love me some red and black (GG/Flex) polishers ;) :dblthumb2:

rangerbay
08-08-2020, 08:01 PM
German made versus China made.

You do know Flex is owned by a Chinese company, right?

Rsurfer
08-09-2020, 02:20 AM
You do know Flex is owned by a Chinese company, right?
Maybe AG will be a Chinese owed company.