PDA

View Full Version : Are DP's buffng pads equal or similar to other brands?

Me Time
08-06-2020, 02:21 PM
I was just looking at DP's buffng pads and was wondering if they are comparable to say the Lake Country flats, Hydrotech, or one of the Buff-n-shine pads. Since there are only 3 of them is why I was kind of thinking they might be geared toward the Hydrotech or Uro-cell's.

DUBL0WS6
08-06-2020, 09:37 PM
Based on colors they look similar to Lake Country pads. Even the orange cutting pad at Harbor Freight looks the same as Lake Country.

Me Time
08-08-2020, 01:46 PM
That's what I was thinking. They look like the flats. I was hoping they might be made more like the Hydro-techs.

Hopefully someone will chime in that has used them and let us know.

Mike Phillips
08-09-2020, 09:53 AM
I've never used them. I've seen them on a co-workers desk.

My guess is they are make by Lake Country - just a guess.

If I remember - they are the most simple design - just a circle cut out of a sheet of foam. No taper or bevel to the edges.

The taper and bevel designs to a foam pad do in fact improve the "handling" or "feeling" transferred to the tools so lacking this design they will still work but not as good as a pad that actually has had other processing steps performed to them.

Also - at high speeds with downward pressure - cylindrical pads twist in reducing the size of their foot print. Tapered pads mushroom outward and maintain their footprint. This also shows up in pad correction and polishing performance as well as buffing experience.

None of the downsides to a cylindrical pad design are deal-breakers, just less features and benefits in the big pictures.

I also don't know off-hand any price difference but my guess is the are less costly than pads that have had more processes performed to them so - you get what you pay for.

:buffing:

Me Time
08-14-2020, 09:29 PM
The taper and bevel designs to a foam pad do in fact improve the "handling" or "feeling" transferred to the tools so lacking this design they will still work but not as good as a pad that actually has had other processing steps performed to them.

Also - at high speeds with downward pressure - cylindrical pads twist in reducing the size of their foot print. Tapered pads mushroom outward and maintain their footprint. This also shows up in pad correction and polishing performance as well as buffing experience.

sorry for the late reply; Thanks for that info. I did not know that about the way they performed because of the pads physical differences. I have plenty of flats, so I guest I will get more Uro-tecs or some other kind.

Mike Phillips
08-17-2020, 09:22 AM
sorry for the late reply; Thanks for that info. I did not know that about the way they performed because of the pads physical differences. I have plenty of flats, so I guest I will get more Uro-tecs or some other kind.

Pad shape on orbitals is not a HUGE deal but "yes" there is something to be said for pad design.

Heck look at the new design of the RUPES foam pads - it's so UNIQUE they were able to PATENT it. So yeah, there must be "something" to design.

See what I said in post #15 here,

New Rupes Bigfoot D-A pads (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/127302-new-rupes-bigfoot-d-pads.html)

Me Time
08-21-2020, 02:44 AM
I think they were made by Aliens. �� ��