PDA

View Full Version : When is it acceptable to use a quick detailer?

Pages : [1] 2

TheMidnightNarwhal
07-30-2020, 07:56 AM
Hey

I'm going to a car show Saturday that's about 2 hours away by car. I would like to be there and my car be pretty spotless.

The plan was to clean the car Friday night then park it in the garage until I'm ready to leave. And then when I arrive there, a quick detail around the car.

Now my question is, are quick detailers made for this or quick detailer would be more for much less dirtiness, for example just fingerprints? Also, should I follow up with my usual LSP (beadmaker) after the quick detail? I'm just not to sure where a quick detail sits compared to a waterless wash/rinseless wash.

Also FYI, my quick detailer is optimum no rinse dilluted 1:16.

Bruno Soares
07-30-2020, 08:00 AM
2 hours is a lot of driving for just a quick detailer. Do a waterless wash with ONR since you already have that. Just might be different dilution ratio and technique.

WillSports3
07-30-2020, 08:03 AM
ONR dilute it to waterless wash ratios and use that. People ruin their finishes at car shows with detailing spray what is essentially a wash worth of dust.

TheMidnightNarwhal
07-30-2020, 08:13 AM
Okay thanks guys, in this case I think I'll just leave it be. I don't want to bring a bucket for a ONR wash. I'm already bringing a BBQ and a big cooler in my coupe so won't have much space lol.

limited0602
07-30-2020, 08:39 AM
What about something like this? Waterless wash in a bottle: Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, waterless wash (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-wash-wax-anywhere.html)

Mike Phillips
07-30-2020, 08:39 AM
Standard answer,

Light dust
Fingerprints
Smudges

Anything dirtier - use a waterless wash.

:)

TheMidnightNarwhal
07-30-2020, 08:43 AM
Standard answer,

Light dust
Fingerprints
Smudges

Anything dirtier - use a waterless wash.

:)

Understood.

But then, a quick detailer on it's own becomes useless if a waterless wash in a bottle exists no? Since the waterless wash will do both safely?

TheMidnightNarwhal
07-30-2020, 08:45 AM
What about something like this? Waterless wash in a bottle: Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, waterless wash (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-wash-wax-anywhere.html)

I was liking it but saw it had a LSP in it (wax). Rather not apply different LSP than my base Powerlock and the beadmaker over it that I use when I dry the car usually weekly. I'll see what other Waterless wash in a bottle there is to buy and see if I'll get it in time I guess.

acuRAS82
07-30-2020, 08:48 AM
Understood.

But then, a quick detailer on it's own becomes useless if a waterless wash in a bottle exists no? Since the waterless wash will do both safely?
In my eyes, good QDs give more pop than WWs. That would be their sole advantage when using on a barely dusted vehicle, or as a drying aid.

WWs are obviously more functional and way cheaper when bought in concentrate.

When it comes to smudge spots, it really doesn’t matter IMO since the little extra bling won’t be noticeable on a small area.

TheMidnightNarwhal
07-30-2020, 09:03 AM
In my eyes, good QDs give more pop than WWs. That would be their sole advantage when using on a barely dusted vehicle, or as a drying aid.

WWs are obviously more functional and way cheaper when bought in concentrate.

When it comes to smudge spots, it really doesn’t matter IMO since the little extra bling won’t be noticeable on a small area.

But isn't "pop" determined basically by how defect free the paint is and the LSP? How can a quick detailer on it's own provide like, additional visual enhancement other than making the area clean?

Anyway, my car when is cleaned looks amazing as it is. But maybe it's because I always top with the beadmaker! All I really want is to clean it. I might try and fit a bucket somewhere in my car with some ONR...

WillSports3
07-30-2020, 10:14 AM
Dont need to fit a bucket. Just have two 16 ounce bottles of ONR diluted for waterless wash. Basically half an ounce per bottle or so. You'll be good to go.

Quick retailers have glossing agents in them that's why they give a pop.

TheMidnightNarwhal
07-30-2020, 10:41 AM
Dont need to fit a bucket. Just have two 16 ounce bottles of ONR diluted for waterless wash. Basically half an ounce per bottle or so. You'll be good to go.

Quick retailers have glossing agents in them that's why they give a pop.

My ONR waterless washes in winter (no water access in winter) are done in a bucket with all my towels soaking in it. How would I do a waterless wash with just spray bottles? Doesn't it go back to being a quick detailer ONR? Also as I write this, technically if the ONR bucket wash dilutio is 1:256 then that means my quick detailer solution of onr at 1:16 is perfectly fine for a spray waterless wash after a 2 hour drive? Or not?

Ah yeah I heard that term gloss agents, always thought it was a "gimmick" or something like that.

Bruno Soares
07-30-2020, 11:02 AM
My ONR waterless washes in winter (no water access in winter) are done in a bucket with all my towels soaking in it. How would I do a waterless wash with just spray bottles? Doesn't it go back to being a quick detailer ONR? Also as I write this, technically if the ONR bucket wash dilutio is 1:256 then that means my quick detailer solution of onr at 1:16 is perfectly fine for a spray waterless wash after a 2 hour drive? Or not?

Ah yeah I heard that term gloss agents, always thought it was a "gimmick" or something like that.

That's rinseless wash, it's safer than waterless wash. But waterless wash is safer than quick detailer wiping. If the car was clean and you drove, in dry weather, to the car meet, waterless wash will be perfectly fine. You just spray the solution directly on the panel and some on the towel and wipe clean, then dry with another towel. No bucket needed, just a handful of towels.

TheMidnightNarwhal
07-30-2020, 11:06 AM
That's rinseless wash, it's safer than waterless wash. But waterless wash is safer than quick detailer wiping. If the car was clean and you drove, in dry weather, to the car meet, waterless wash will be perfectly fine. You just spray the solution directly on the panel and some on the towel and wipe clean, then dry with another towel. No bucket needed, just a handful of towels.

Okay gotcha. I also think 2 hours ish of dry weather highway isn't gonna dirty the car to much.

Just to confirm though what is the ONR waterless wash dilution? ONR calls the 1:16 a quick detailer solution.

Eldorado2k
07-30-2020, 11:09 AM
Okay gotcha. I also think 2 hours ish of dry weather highway isn't gonna dirty the car to much.

I agree with you.