PDA

View Full Version : trick to apply the conditioner around the sunroof seal

SixZee
07-29-2020, 06:56 AM
I am trying to apply Nextzett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege (https://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-rubber-care-stick.html) to the seals around the 2015 Forester sunroof.

I can easily apply to the front edge of the seal but the sides and receding edge is not accessible at all (other than the fine edge on the top).

Is there any way to apply to these areas or just apply on the small edge accessible from the top and thats about it?

Thanks in advance.

Eldorado2k
07-29-2020, 09:05 AM
How about using a foam brush?

Bearcats98
07-29-2020, 09:09 AM
Not certain on the viscosity of the product in question. I use Honda grease on all my rubber seals. To get to the sides of parts of it I actually put the grease on the metal and cycle the roof a couple times and then wipe of the excess.

Bruno Soares
07-29-2020, 09:19 AM
On my car I do it with multiple different positions of the sunroof, closed, partially open, fully open, but I still do it as a best effort, there are parts in there I simply can't get to unless I removed the glass. Not gonna happen.

WillSports3
07-29-2020, 10:43 AM
I use a small tiny paint brush from the dollar store for things like that.

oneheadlite
07-29-2020, 10:50 AM
You're referring to the portion of the seal that contacts the sunroof, right?

What if you applied it to a thin suede towel (coating applicator/glasses cleaning towel/phone screen cleaner), then used a thin piece of cardboard (like a manila envelope or similar) as a support to slide it into the opening and slide it around?

SixZee
07-29-2020, 01:04 PM
You're referring to the portion of the seal that contacts the sunroof, right?

The red arrow is what I am trying to apply this conditioner to, but on the sides. The picture is a top view and that part can be easily applied to but this seal is wrapped around the sunroof glass. I don't know if it can damage on the side too, the side that is not accessible.

Not certain on the viscosity of the product in question. I use Honda grease on all my rubber seals. To get to the sides of parts of it I actually put the grease on the metal and cycle the roof a couple times and then wipe of the excess.
This may be the only way to get in between the seal and the metal part that it slides on. I will give it a try.

Thank you, everyone, for other ideas too. I will give them a shot if this one fails.

Bruno Soares
07-29-2020, 01:53 PM
Oh, I guess your glass slides into the roof when you open? Mine makes it a bit easier by going up and sliding over the roof. Still can't get to 100% of the seals but lots of it I can apply Gummi Pflege to.

Desertnate
07-29-2020, 03:00 PM
Q-tip maybe? Get the Gummi Plfedge applicator wet with product and rub the Q-tip on the applicator. That should transfer plenty of product.

Bruno Soares
07-29-2020, 03:57 PM
Q-tip maybe? Get the Gummi Plfedge applicator wet with product and rub the Q-tip on the applicator. That should transfer plenty of product.

Fairly easy to remove that built-in applicator if you want to dunk the Q-tip in there. Just be careful not to knock the bottle over or you'll waste a lot of the liquid.

SixZee
07-30-2020, 06:08 AM
Oh, I guess your glass slides into the roof when you open?
Yes, it does. I should have mentioned that.

I will give a try to q-tip method as well.

Thanks.