PDA

View Full Version : Strip wash?

Pages : [1] 2

vaca22
07-27-2020, 05:05 PM
I've assembled a suite of products to finally (FINALLY!) detail my car, but the only thing missing is some kind of strip wash. Figuring this would be easily attainable I've been to countless local stores with zero luck.

I figured the easiest bet would be Purple Power Vehicle & Boat Wash, but that doesn't seem to exist here.

While I'm happy to order something, I'd rather just run to the store and pick it up myself. Is there anything else I can try? Is this kind of wash necessary, considering I plan to hit the car with IR and clay?

Thanks!

PaulMys
07-27-2020, 05:07 PM
My opinion is No.

If you are claying, you also plan on machine polishing, right?

Rsurfer
07-27-2020, 05:14 PM
I've assembled a suite of products to finally (FINALLY!) detail my car, but the only thing missing is some kind of strip wash. Figuring this would be easily attainable I've been to countless local stores with zero luck.

I figured the easiest bet would be Purple Power Vehicle & Boat Wash, but that doesn't seem to exist here.

While I'm happy to order something, I'd rather just run to the store and pick it up myself. Is there anything else I can try? Is this kind of wash necessary, considering I plan to hit the car with IR and clay?

Thanks!

Hope your planning on polishing after claying.

Eldorado2k
07-27-2020, 05:16 PM
I agree with Paul. The claybar will suffice.

vaca22
07-27-2020, 05:19 PM
My opinion is No.

If you are claying, you also plan on machine polishing, right?

Indeed I am, yes.

PaulMys
07-27-2020, 05:24 PM
Indeed I am, yes.

Then don't sweat a "strip wash". Clay and polishing will strip her clean!

Just use a good cleaning soap. Meg's HyperWash is excellent IMO.

Mike Hoekstra
07-27-2020, 05:41 PM
I use McKees coating prep wash if I want to strip everything and go ground-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PaulMys
07-27-2020, 05:58 PM
I use McKees coating prep wash if I want to strip everything and go ground-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On perfect paint, yeah.

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
07-27-2020, 08:45 PM
If you want to strip the paint of any previously applied waxes or sealants I would try the DP Coating Prep Wash
DP Coating Prep Wash (https://www.autogeek.net/dp-coating-prep-wash.html)

Also if you really wanted to take an extra step to make sure, you could add an additional step by wiping the vehicle down with Meguiar's M122 Surface Prep, or a panel wipe product of your choice. Read this article if you need to strip on the cheap with IPA.

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

You should definitely order the correct products and be patient. Do it right, and spend the extra money on quality products so you won't take any unnecessary risks and not to mention you'll be much happier with the results.

I'd do the iron removal step, then wash, clay the vehicle, panel wipe, then machine apply a wax if you are not going to compound or polish.

PaulMys
07-27-2020, 08:49 PM
If you want to strip the paint of any previously applied waxes or sealants I would try the DP Coating Prep Wash
DP Coating Prep Wash (https://www.autogeek.net/dp-coating-prep-wash.html)

Also if you really wanted to take an extra step to make sure, you could add an additional step by wiping the vehicle down with Meguiar's M122 Surface Prep, or a panel wipe product of your choice. Read this article if you need to strip on the cheap with IPA.

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

You should definitely order the correct products and be patient. Do it right, and spend the extra money on quality products so you won't take any unnecessary risks and not to mention you'll be much happier with the results.

I'd do the iron removal step, then wash, clay the vehicle, panel wipe, then machine apply a wax if you are not going to compound or polish.

Good info.

But the OP stated he was going to both clay and machine polish.

This kind of kicks the Prep Washes out the window for his particular needs. :)

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
07-27-2020, 09:42 PM
Good info.

But the OP stated he was going to both clay and machine polish.

This kind of kicks the Prep Washes out the window for his particular needs. :)

Well, I don't think there is a wrong way with this particular process. I really think it depends on the person. If your going to clay and machine polish that's one way. If your going to prep wash or panel wipe, that may be another. Both ways are likely effective, and the final result may not be detectable by the average human eye. It would be interesting to get the same vehicle and run through both processes and see what the results are.

Whalen182
07-27-2020, 11:34 PM
Do you not have a W-M near you? It should be located near the power sprayer stuff in the automotive department. I used the PPV&BW as the first step to a recent Gloss Coat project and it worked great. It was the only non-Optimum product I used. I was glad to know any and all applied product was removed before I even started claying.

WillSports3
07-28-2020, 02:16 AM
I don't really know what a strip wash is really needed for. Is it to decontaminate paint or is it to get rid of previous protection on the car? Because on a good coating, strip washes won't do much. On a wax or most sealants, fall out remover will remove it anyway. Plus if you're gonna machine polish, nothing will remain but clearcoat afterwards anyways.

Coatingsarecrack
07-28-2020, 04:13 AM
Yes if your going to clay and polish strip wash is not needed. You’d use when you don’t want to clay and polish and put on a new coat of LSP.

I use Mckee’s coating prep for deconamination washes on my coated car and it works wonders i. That sense. Brings coating dead spots right back to life and coating performance after is quite amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorillapr
07-28-2020, 07:56 AM
My process:

Iron X first

Foam Cannon:
4oz Griots Foaming Surfave Prep
20oz Water

Bucket:
2oz Adams Strip Wash
6oz Purple Power Vehicle & Boat Wash
2oz Super Clean

works like a champ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)