PDA

View Full Version : Residue on Machined Rims?

Walterfs
07-27-2020, 05:03 PM
Hey folks,

I have a little issue with some machined rims that I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than I could help me with before I cause more damage.

I have a set of Starr 718 Gatsby's, black with a machined face that I've owned for roughly 5 years now. I pulled them out this weekend and noticed there was this residue - I guess you'd call it - in spots on the machined surface. Pics below show a few spots on just 1 of the rims. As far as I can tell it only exists on the machined surface and not at all on the painted black portions. Before I go scrubbing at these with every chemical and compound known to man, anyone have any idea how I might be able to get rid of this, and how I might avoid it in the future?

Here's the backstory, if it helps: The rims were last on the car in the summer of 2018, when I had to remove them and put the stock wheels back on in a hurry (unrelated issue). In my haste, I put them away without much more than a quick rub down. I had intended on coming back the next day and doing a more thorough cleaning, but a combination of life and laziness (mostly laziness) prevented that from ever happening. I fully believe that not going back to clean them caused the issue, because it wasn't present beforehand. Any suggestions for someone that doesn't know much about detailing?

Let me know if I need to make the pictures bigger. TIA.

Mike Phillips
07-28-2020, 07:33 AM
Hi Walter,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Apologies for the delay in your thread showing up, but for some reason it was placed into the Moderation Queue. I just now found it and approved it.

As for the issue with the wheels? The pictures are tiny so larger pics would help. From what I can see it looks like CORROSION of some sort. Thus the problem is not a stain or malady ON the rim but portions of the rim have actually corroded and looks like they've somehow chemically broken down.

Again, hard to tell from the pictures. If this is the case, repair is going to take more than cleaning.

:)