PDA

View Full Version : New Black Tesla Model 3 Detail Plan- Need Input

Pages : [1] 2

jmoney
07-26-2020, 06:28 PM
Hello,

We are trading in a Jeep for a Tesla, and I will be detailing this car again. We didn't really do that much beside seal the jeep because of the beating it was taking. This will be a daily driver car, but I want to keep an amazing deep black shine on this car.

I went back through my old supplies which are mostly chemical guys and although I think I will replace most of it, given that it is pretty old, I wanted to put forth the following plan for input, or to see if there is some combo out there that will give a better deep, wet, and glossy black shine.

Detail:
Wash-Chemical guys Blacklight
Glaze-CG Blacklight (apply with porter cable and black hex pad)
Seal-Jetseal (cure 12 hours) (PC and black hex pad)(apply to all glass as well)
Wax- CG Black --(PC and red hex pad)--I remember always using the machine, but instructions say it needs to be hand applied?

Weekly Maintenance Wash:
Wash-CG Blacklight
Quick Detailer-CG v07

I read around on the forums and also came up with the alternate plan:

Detail:
Wash- BlackFire Car Wash
Seal-Blackfire Paint Sealant (PC and black hex)
Wax- Blackfire midnight sun (pc red hex)

Weekly Maintenance:
Wash -Blackfire Car Wash
Quick Detailer- Blackfire Instant Detailer

--

I always used CG in the past, but I am for sure open to other recommendations. I do like to keep all the items within the same mfg.

57Rambler
07-26-2020, 08:44 PM
To seal it, you might wanna check out the newest paint sealant from Wolfgang ... kinda like their WDGPS kicked up a notch with SiO2.

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant (https://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-sio2-paint-sealant.html)

Holm80
07-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Even tho the car is new a light polish will do good before applying glaze or anything else..

TTQ B4U
07-28-2020, 11:47 AM
Pure black......Polish it out with CarPro Essence and then Ceramic Coat it. UK V3.0 is as easy to use as they come. You'll thank me after. I've done a few black cars in my day including a number of Teslas.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing it.

jmoney
07-29-2020, 10:56 AM
Pure black......Polish it out with CarPro Essence and then Ceramic Coat it. UK V3.0 is as easy to use as they come. You'll thank me after. I've done a few black cars in my day including a number of Teslas.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing it.

Did you think the finish had a better look than the CG stack that I have above?

The reason I ask, if I used the wolfgang stack years back and the results were, meh, on our black cars compared to the CG. The wolfgang lasted much longer, but since I don't mind doing full detail every three months it didn't really matter to me.

jmoney
07-29-2020, 01:42 PM
Even tho the car is new a light polish will do good before applying glaze or anything else..

I should still wait at least a month after receiving the vehicle before polishing correct?

TTQ B4U
07-29-2020, 03:43 PM
Did you think the finish had a better look than the CG stack that I have above?

The reason I ask, if I used the wolfgang stack years back and the results were, meh, on our black cars compared to the CG. The wolfgang lasted much longer, but since I don't mind doing full detail every three months it didn't really matter to me.

Never really used CG products but overall, yes, the look and finish are outstanding. The key is in the polishing.

I should still wait at least a month after receiving the vehicle before polishing correct?

No. No need to wait on a new car. factory paint is fully cured and gassed off by the time you get it.

jmoney
07-30-2020, 09:06 AM
Never really used CG products but overall, yes, the look and finish are outstanding. The key is in the polishing.

No. No need to wait on a new car. factory paint is fully cured and gassed off by the time you get it.

Thanks.

I am looking at the products you suggested. I'm pretty apprehensive to apply a ceramic coating as it has been several years since I have done any detailing. The extremely high humidity and heat right now are giving me a little pause in transitioning from the products I know to that much simpler setup.

TTQ B4U
07-30-2020, 10:11 AM
Thanks.

I am looking at the products you suggested. I'm pretty apprehensive to apply a ceramic coating as it has been several years since I have done any detailing. The extremely high humidity and heat right now are giving me a little pause in transitioning from the products I know to that much simpler setup.

You'll love them and I'm sure it will turn out nicely. I'll message you some other things too.

Regarding the humidity, UK 3.0 will be fine. Flashes a little quicker with heat like that but just work in smaller sections vs in cooler weather. If possible pull the vehicle outside (Great if it's cloudy) as the overcast skies will help you see high-spots easily. Don't fret, most will wipe off within 24hrs. Even after, just hit them with a little Essence on a MF Rag and polish them out. It doesn't take much pressure. Then simply re-coat that area. It will blend with ease to the surrounding work that has already been coated. Again, today's coatings are pretty easy to use. Easier than Blue Coral used back in my days. LOL!!

jmoney
07-30-2020, 03:46 PM
You'll love them and I'm sure it will turn out nicely. I'll message you some other things too.

Regarding the humidity, UK 3.0 will be fine. Flashes a little quicker with heat like that but just work in smaller sections vs in cooler weather. If possible pull the vehicle outside (Great if it's cloudy) as the overcast skies will help you see high-spots easily. Don't fret, most will wipe off within 24hrs. Even after, just hit them with a little Essence on a MF Rag and polish them out. It doesn't take much pressure. Then simply re-coat that area. It will blend with ease to the surrounding work that has already been coated. Again, today's coatings are pretty easy to use. Easier than Blue Coral used back in my days. LOL!!

Alright, I'm going to give the combo a go.

Which pad on a PC polisher do you recommend?

Also what wash (use foam gun and 2 bucket) and quick detailer for weekly maintenance? I have some v07 left, but that is from CG.

jmoney
08-20-2020, 07:25 AM
I have pretty much assembled everything I need. I am still trying to figure out with pad to use with the essence. I have a few spider honey pro finishing pads. Will those work or should I go ahead and order some of the car pro white polish pads?

TTQ B4U
08-20-2020, 08:24 AM
I have pretty much assembled everything I need. I am still trying to figure out with pad to use with the essence. I have a few spider honey pro finishing pads. Will those work or should I go ahead and order some of the car pro white polish pads?

light to medium polishing pad.

jmoney
10-14-2020, 08:03 PM
After a much longer wait than anticipated, we finally received the car, and got it done.
The weather was much better than anticipated so m concerns about application and high heat, were assuaged.

Application was pretty easy, I wish I had a smaller diameter backer and pads for some of the trickier spots on the car, but essence really worked in easy, and quick.

I sprayed down each panel with eraser which made application of cquartz a breeze. I applied it until it got a little stick then waited 30 seconds, and buffed off with 2 separate towels

Car came out way better than I thought it would. The pictures don't do it justice, nearly every single dealer induced swirl is gone and the shine is amazing. It is not as dep or wet as some of the CG products, but it is for sure more polished, and frankly it looks better.

Now my questions is....what about the glass? Everything worked great on the paint ,but the glass is now noticeably untreated when the car is being washed.

Bruno Soares
10-14-2020, 08:29 PM
You can use the same coating on the glass. On the windshield use a sealant or a glass specific coating because the wipers wear the regular coating too quickly.

Jayfro
10-14-2020, 08:39 PM
I use pinnacle glass coat on both of our vehicles...and the shower glass with great success. The trick is to use very little product otherwise you’ll be wiping it off forever!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline