PDA

View Full Version : What Chemicals Are Used In Automated Car Washes?

lovenhim
07-22-2020, 05:40 PM
Hello everyone. Normally I clean our pickup myself using the normal tools. Foam gun, rinse bucket with grit guard, microfiber drying towel. You know the deal. Well, it has been so hot with 110+ heat index that for the first time in years....Wifey and I drove our truck through a touchless gas station car wash. We bought “The Works” just to see what it was. The truck came out spotted, dull dry looking paint, and while cleaner...it just did not “pop”. It sure did not clean off the brake dust and raised white letter tires. This brings me to some questions.

what is in the pre-soak? What chemicals are they using? The automated vouce said “applying sealant”....huh? It had a silicone smell to it. From start to finish, what was sprayed on and rinsed off our truck? Yes it was cleaner but far from pretty looking. Thanks for the help.

PaulMys
07-22-2020, 05:44 PM
God only knows, but I am sure glad it wasn't my truck.

I'd rather have a dirty truck than subject it to who-knows-what as far as chemicals go.

FUNX650
07-22-2020, 07:18 PM
Wifey and I drove our truck through a
touchless gas station car wash.

We bought “The Works” just to see what it was.

The truck came out spotted, dull dry looking paint,
and while cleaner...it just did not “pop”. It sure did
not clean off the brake dust and raised white letter tires.

From start to finish, what was sprayed on
and rinsed off our truck? Yes it was cleaner
but far from pretty looking.

•Without getting hold of this facility’s SDS
documents, there’s no way I can say exactly
what chemicals are used. However:

-I can assure you that because a “Touchless Wash”
doesn’t utilize mechanical/friction accessories, or
equipment, to assist in the overall process...the
chemicals that are used therein must be “stronger”
(ie: have more alkalinity and acidity) in order to
make up for that lack of friction devices.

-Add to all that: “The Works” sealant... :eek:
{Next time, do not push that button.}

•I also don’t want to overlook the most important
chemical that is used whenever/wherever, most
car washes are performed: the locales’ Water supply.

-Often a bad automated car wash experience is due
to the facility’s Water’s hardness/softness level, among
other factors—factors that can either have a positive/
negative affect on its interaction between itself and all
the other chemicals.

•As to the spotted, dull, dry looking paint:
-Hopefully a mild polish will bring back the pop.

Bob

mk9750
07-22-2020, 07:28 PM
I can't answer your question, so my note is just taking up space. But during the winter, I run my car through the touchless wash on the way home before I do a rinseless wash, just to get the heavy gunk off. But I get the lowest package they offer with a blow dry. Still more chemicals than I'd like, but when it's zero, it's a better solution than anything else I have.

TrustJesus
07-22-2020, 07:58 PM
The last time I took our truck through a touch less, the water jet stream actually marred my paint.

I rather just let it be dirty, and wash it when I get a chance.

The downside of having it dirty, it will easily scratch fast.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

57Rambler
07-22-2020, 09:26 PM
-I can assure you that because a “Touchless Wash”
doesn’t utilize mechanical/friction accessories, or
equipment, to assist in the overall process...the
chemicals that are used therein must be “stronger”
(ie: have more alkalinity and acidity) in order to
make up for that lack of friction devices.

:iagree: The facility will likely be using a high pH product (alkaline) for the wash and a low pH product (acidic) for the wheels

-Often a bad automated car wash experience is due
to the facility’s Water’s hardness/softness level, among
other factors—factors that can either have a positive/
negative affect on its interaction between itself and all
the other chemicals.

Bingo. And that water likely gets softened (over and over) as part of the recycle process, and eventually builds up a high salt(s) concentration. Such water left to dry will deposit on the paint surface and lead to dulling.

BurnsDetailing
07-23-2020, 07:09 AM
I agree with FUNX650, my philosophy is you either clean mechanically or chemically.

And I've gotten into this argument before and someone who had claimed to be in the automated wash industry for over 15 years said all of their chemicals are pH balanced, which the SDS seems to support. Take a look at some of the SDS for Superior Products, which I've seen at few automated washes near me.

https://superiorproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/C85-SDS-Pre-Soak.pdf
https://superiorproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/C70-SDS-Step-2-Pre-Soak.pdf
https://superiorproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/2018/11/C83-SDS-Rainbow-Foam-Wax.pdf

All of them say pH of 7, but I still have a hard time believing it.

lovenhim
07-23-2020, 10:16 AM
Ok, problem solved. I went out this morning before it got hot. Truck was in the shade. I washed the truck like normal with Meguiars Shampoo Plus, foam gun on a hose, mitt, rinse, drying microfiber, rinse bucket with grit guard. Much better results. The truck looks normal now. I will not try an automatic touch-less car wash again. LOL

WillSports3
07-23-2020, 01:08 PM
So just to give you an idea of how touchless car washes usually work, the first pre-soak is an acid. Then the soap is acid. The final rinse right before the power wash is an acid neutralizer. Basically, here is a good test for you. Use acidic wheel cleaner on your paint, then spray it down with APC (alkaline) and then powerwash off and that's pretty close to what you would find.

John U
07-24-2020, 12:36 AM
You guys bring up my yearly torture driving from the snowy Midwest to AZ. Once out of the snow belt the salt covered vehicle drives me insane. Cleaning the windows kinda helps until I get out and have to look at it. Of course all the other cars around me are clean.
I’ll break down finally after I check in at a hotel. Take the ice bucket and wash the chrome wheels. Then spray on the tire cleaner while I wait in line at the touch-free “acid” wash. I have towels with me to wipe it down afterwards.....I wet one for the areas still dirty.
Space permitting I’ll bring a bucket and supplies for a quarter wash but my wife and I really pack it full. I do have that fold-up Griot’s bucket from years ago.

lovenhim
07-24-2020, 08:35 AM
So just to give you an idea of how touchless car washes usually work, the first pre-soak is an acid. Then the soap is acid. The final rinse right before the power wash is an acid neutralizer. Basically, here is a good test for you. Use acidic wheel cleaner on your paint, then spray it down with APC (alkaline) and then powerwash off and that's pretty close to what you would find.

That makes a lot of sense. The paint on the truck while smooth because I recently clayed it, was no longer slick after the automated car wash. It stripped my synthetic wax. Now I understand why when I washed the truck yesterday it did not beed up anymore. Thank you as you answered my question. Now I know why one should not use a touch less automated wash. Thanks for explaining it. Now I know I need to wax my truck again.