PDA

View Full Version : Bodyshop problem

fourbenxzes
07-21-2020, 06:40 PM
Hello,

I recently had some body work done on the rear quarter panel. I have the Toyota Camry XSE with a 2 tone paint (silver with black top). Originally from factory the vehicle comes with a edge/line you can feel between the 2 tones on the QP.

I guess Toyota decided to paint the roof black afterwards.

The body shop used this edge to blend.
2343-B664-FE59-4-B18-87-DE-260-CCEC973-CD — ImgBB (https://ibb.co/2yGDx0H)

The body shop will be redoing it due to a section missing clear coat, however they will only re-paint up to this hard edge. Would this peel or flake in the future? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Hoekstra
07-21-2020, 07:29 PM
My personal standards as a production painter and a custom art painter is to do the job right. Any reputable body shop should redo the whole panel up to the gap in the panels in my opinion. If they only go to the edge in between the paint line then I'd make them rework the whole panel and do it right. If they clear over the areas and blend out the spot between clear coats there shouldn't be any issue in the future if they are any type of quality auto body shop.

fourbenxzes
07-21-2020, 09:08 PM
My personal standards as a production painter and a custom art painter is to do the job right. Any reputable body shop should redo the whole panel up to the gap in the panels in my opinion. If they only go to the edge in between the paint line then I'd make them rework the whole panel and do it right. If they clear over the areas and blend out the spot between clear coats there shouldn't be any issue in the future if they are any type of quality auto body shop.

I haven’t found a Bodyshop that would blend it, they want to clear the whole thing or go up to the edge. I asked a high end Bodyshop if any line would be left if they cleared the whole quarter panel and they said yeah by the rear widow gap lol