PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong Meguiar’s hybrid ceramic liquid wax?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

TrustJesus
07-17-2020, 07:50 PM
I’m making it clear that this is NOT a bash thread, I’m sure I did something wrong.

So, here is the deal I use Meguiar’s Gold Class which has a conditioner in it.

I also use a drying agent to avoid water spots and lubricate drying towel (prevent swirls).

Then at the end I applied a coat of the Meguiar’s hybrid ceramic liquid wax, great results.

However, it only lasted about two weeks tops.

I think the conditioner in the soap, and drying agent put a barrier first then the wax.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200718/afa5b20e2a38d52b83438a9172c5acb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Hoekstra
07-17-2020, 10:05 PM
What does the prep and application instructions say on the Hybrid Ceramic Wax? Some products require a certain amount of time to actually bond before removal. They will also state what to wash and prep with.

TrustJesus
07-17-2020, 10:09 PM
Hey Mike, I think the car soap and drying agent didn’t allow the wax to work properly.

I like the results, tho just wondering why. Lolhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200718/111a79ed26fe3d4f976428d102d04f8e.jpg

TrustJesus
07-17-2020, 10:43 PM
I hope I didn’t say wrong to offend anyone, that why I said this is not a bash thread.

I love the product, just asking what I’m doing wrong so I can keep enjoying it, that’s all.

Again sorry if I seem lazy or trying to offend anyone, my apologies

The Guz
07-17-2020, 11:18 PM
Did you follow the directions for applying this the first time as a foundation layer?

TrustJesus
07-17-2020, 11:24 PM
Hey Guz,
Short answer: I used the Gold Class soap (has conditioner), and a drying agent.

Once dry, I then applied a coat of the hybrid ceramic wax, only on coat.

I am assuming that the conditioner in the Gold Class and the drying agent was the foundation. That is why the actually hybrid ceramic wax didn’t stick to the vehicle.

This is a good product, but wondering what I did wrong to correct it.

Hope it makes sense, I’m bad at explaining things.

So basically Gold Class conditioner, then drying agent, then once car dries the ceramic wax. I’m guessing that what I did wrong

Is what I did wrong?

The Guz
07-18-2020, 12:17 AM
My fault. I see you used the liquid version and not the spray version. It probably did not play well with the drying aid.

TrustJesus
07-18-2020, 12:20 AM
Exactly what I was thinking, but then how would I dry without scratching paint?

I use drying agent to prevent water spots while I wash vehicle, but then it makes me pay. Lol

vobro
07-18-2020, 01:32 AM
What are you using to dry and what is your method that you’re worried about scratching the paint?

TrustJesus
07-18-2020, 10:27 AM
Here are my steps
Pre/rinse vehicle to remove dirt
Then spray bug/tar remover and wipe off
Then I usually do wheels
Then I foam spray entire vehicle (foam cannon)

Then I wash panel for panel
Then I spray drying agent to help water spot
Then I go around drying entire vehicle
At the end I apply Meguiar’s hybrid

So I’m guessing the conditioner in the Gold Class and drying agent (can’t say name I didn’t buy here) are not allowing the hybrid wax to bond to paint

acuRAS82
07-18-2020, 11:10 AM
People use drying aids for numerous reasons, but it’s not a bad thing to simply dry clean paint with a quality drying towel. Drying aids probably should be left out when planning on applying an LSP right after.

Bruno Soares
07-18-2020, 11:18 AM
Yeah, if you plan on applying an LSP then use something like CarPro Eraser as your drying aid, it will help keep the surface squeaky clean to apply the LSP.

And use a different soap, one that doesn’t leave stuff behind like Gold Class. Reset is probably a good one. After you put the LSP on then use whichever soap you want.

Eldorado2k
07-18-2020, 11:23 AM
Then spray bug/tar remover and wipe off

If anything, this seems to be the step with some actual potential for damage to occur.^

When I’m dealing with an especially dirty vehicle, what I like to do it spray a bug & tar remover [Poor Boys Bug Squash] on the panel and let it dwell for about 30secs. before washing with mitt from the soapy bucket as usual. Seems to make a noticeable difference in regards to cleaning power.

I also 100% percent agree that drying a vehicle without a drying aid is absolutely fine and will not cause swirls.

Eldorado2k
07-18-2020, 11:31 AM
Btw I see you’ve downloaded the Autogeek app and have discovered the easy way to post pictures. Right on. The Durango looks good.[emoji1417]

Bill D
07-18-2020, 11:31 AM
I also 100% percent agree that drying a vehicle without a drying aid is absolutely fine and will not cause swirls.

Yes, I find this to be totally true. If you use a PFM you don’t need a drying aid at all. Swirls come from poor washing technique and/or poor shampoo.