PDA

View Full Version : Computer geeks enter

Surfer
03-29-2008, 07:40 PM
:D

Have a spare HP dekstop I want to restore to original specs, an HP 513n, think I got it like 6 years ago? Only thing is I can't find HP Tools on it to do the built in recovery (maybe HP didn't start that then?), and if there were cds I have no f'n idea where they would be.

Is there a way to do a recovery on it? What about my HP Laptop....can't I copy windows xp or any certain folders to my external hard drive, plug into the desk top and to a recovery that way??

FHerrera
03-29-2008, 07:47 PM
you can go to hp site

Software & Driver downloads HP Pavilion 513n Desktop PC (US/CAN) (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=90384&dlc=en)

download the drivers you need, and maybe ask for the original bundled software.

if not. you can use another copy of WinXp and set it up with the License key number that is on a stick somewhere in the box of the Computer.

hope that helps :D

dengood1
03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
you can go to hp site

Software & Driver downloads#HP Pavilion 513n Desktop PC (US/CAN) (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=90384&dlc=en)

download the drivers you need, and maybe ask for the original bundled software.

if not. you can use another copy of WinXp and set it up with the License key number that is on a stick somewhere in the box of the Computer.

hope that helps :D:whs::iagree: You and your computers:rolleyes::D

Surfer
03-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Is there a way to copy XP from laptop to the external drive, so it could be installed on the desktop?

wytstang
03-29-2008, 08:24 PM
When it's powering on try F2 to see if it takes you to a set up page. If not it doesn't have it built in. Have you thought about trying Linux??

Mike T
03-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Is there a way to copy XP from laptop to the external drive, so it could be installed on the desktop?

Let me tell you from first hand experience, you'll wanna blow your brains out by the time you finally, possibly get it working. Do you have any Windows XP discs?

Surfer
03-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Let me tell you from first hand experience, you'll wanna blow your brains out by the time you finally, possibly get it working. Do you have any Windows XP discs?No, I have all HP products of which don't come with any cds, HP has its own built in recovery. Except I guess this model computer from 2002/2003 doesn't. I can't even recall if it came with cds its been so long.

Mike T
03-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Then your kinda stuck. When I go into work on Monday, I'll see what we've got.

Surfer
03-29-2008, 11:27 PM
The laptop has it built in, but also gives you the option of burning it to a set of dvds. I wonder if they would work for the desktop?

supercharged
03-30-2008, 01:17 AM
That's called piracy, I don't think you will be able to get any updates from Microsoft for those Windows once that happen. Believe me, I've been there.

Surfer
03-30-2008, 01:47 AM
That's called piracy, I don't think you will be able to get any updates from Microsoft for those Windows once that happen. Believe me, I've been there.Bill Gates owes me....check Wystangs sig :D

wytstang
03-30-2008, 03:10 AM
Thats true he does LOL, yes that is piracy but depending how your morals are when it comes to that is the real question. Personally the "updates" from MS on my Zune software (MP3 player) keeps screwing costumers from simple tasks.
Example: Any music on your PC is able to be played on your Zune no problem. You were even able to burn songs from your Zune program. Well the last "update" stopped that, now if you want to burn songs you have to buy them from the Zune Market Place. Despite the fact that you already own them, you have to pay MS (per song) in order to burn them.
Example #2: Want to put video onto your Zune player? Then either buy them from Zune Market place or buy a video converter to make them "compatible" to play and sync with your Zune.
Little things like that have made me not think twice about looking for pirated programs. It got old buying programs only to have to buy more programs to make the program you purchased work.

Surfer
03-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Well thought the dvd's would work from teh laptop but found out they won't, another forum said I need an oem MS and to use the product key on the tower.