PDA

View Full Version : Really Stubborn Bug Guts

Pages : [1] 2

clm65
07-15-2020, 09:30 AM
I admit I haven’t been diligent about keeping my truck clean recently. I am trying to whip it back into shape, but I have a section in the front that has been pelted with love bugs and I just can’t seem to get them off. I don’t have much trouble getting them off the painted metal, but there is a piece of painted plastic above the bumper that just doesn’t want to let them go. I’ve tried many of the popular products that work fine on fresh bugs and don’t strip the protectant, but they don’t make a dent on these aged remnants. Before I resort to sanding and repainting this section of my truck, is there an aggressive, effective product that actually works on old stubborn bug guts? Obviously I’m not concerned about stripping wax or sealant. I just want the bugs gone. Does a miracle product exist?

Klasse Act
07-15-2020, 09:32 AM
Have you tried WD40[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

clm65
07-15-2020, 09:42 AM
Have you tried WD40[emoji848]

No, I have not tried that. I have tried tar remover, which seemed to help a little, but didn’t get all of it. I will give WD40 a shot. Thanks!

Klasse Act
07-15-2020, 09:58 AM
No, I have not tried that. I have tried tar remover, which seemed to help a little, but didn’t get all of it. I will give WD40 a shot. Thanks!Let it dwell and do its thing. Its 100% safe, just clean it off with some RW or WW afterwards[emoji362][emoji106]

mc2hill
07-15-2020, 10:03 AM
It is very possible they are etched into the paint. I have that on my black Frontier, from before I joined this forum. They are very smooth, after being polished several times, but they are still there.

When I have a car covered in love bugs I try to soak them off first. Take several thin microfiber towels and dampen them in the solution in the wash bucket (works with rinseless or regular car wash soap). Then place the towels over the 'buggy' area for 5-10 minutes (I usually take this time to wash the wheels). When I come back most of the bugs will wipe off, and I have not removed the protection (but it is a good idea to add more anyway). For ones that remain, I add a fresh, damp towel to the area and let it sit again.

This works with any towels, but thinner towels usually 'stick' better to non-horizontal surfaces.

cvwebb
07-15-2020, 10:35 AM
It is very possible they are etched into the paint. I have that on my black Frontier, from before I joined this forum. They are very smooth, after being polished several times, but they are still there.

When I have a car covered in love bugs I try to soak them off first. Take several thin microfiber towels and dampen them in the solution in the wash bucket (works with rinseless or regular car wash soap). Then place the towels over the 'buggy' area for 5-10 minutes (I usually take this time to wash the wheels). When I come back most of the bugs will wipe off, and I have not removed the protection (but it is a good idea to add more anyway). For ones that remain, I add a fresh, damp towel to the area and let it sit again.

This works with any towels, but thinner towels usually 'stick' better to non-horizontal surfaces.

ETCHED! That is exactly what i have. I used jeweling wax and thought i removed it, but this morning it is still there. How do i remove it?

cvwebb
07-15-2020, 11:09 AM
I also have the same question. I was wondering if using Jeweling wax with a polisher is enough to get the etched in bug guts off?

dennis b
07-15-2020, 11:42 AM
I got caught with love bugs last fall. Bugs were on the leading edge of the hood, plastic headlights and plastic grill. Tried Citrol 266, Prep-All solvent, Poor Boys bug squash, Tar-x and a bunch of other product that I can't remember. Most came off but a few stubborn one's were left. The Porter cable, a Lake Country CCS white pad and some Sonax 04-06 made short work of the remnants and etching. The etching hasn't come back.

I'll never travel through Northern Florida in September or May again. If I can help it. :nomore:

Bill D
07-15-2020, 12:31 PM
I live in that area and religiously pluck them from my paint immediately when I get home. It’s tough enough doing that so I can’t imagine what it’s like if I had to keep them on for a while. You’d definitely need to polish out the etchings.

WillSports3
07-15-2020, 02:18 PM
The reason they won't come off is because they've dried on. Similar to the way that wax dries onto your paint surface. My suggestion is like some of the others above, soak a microfiber towel with rinseless or waterless wash solution, and place over the bugs for a bit. Let them re-hydrate. Then, I would take a clay glove or something and go to town if they won't wipe off. Be prepared to polish after however.

dennis b
07-15-2020, 04:34 PM
Love bugs don't follow the normal rules of bug removal. If you catch them the same day they aren't bad to remove. Wait a few days or longer and they harden like cement. Especially in the high heat and UV of Florida. Extreme soaking and scrubbing with chemicals will get most of them off and even with claying a few will remain that will defy your best efforts. They won't soften up and wipe away. In those cases polishing is your only option because the acid in their bodies have etched into the paint.

clm65
07-15-2020, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the help and replies. The WD40 did seem to help a bit. But as several of you mentioned, my paint is etched. Pretty bad. I will break out the polisher and see how much I can fix.

Mike Hoekstra
07-15-2020, 06:00 PM
CarPro Bug Out (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-bug-out.html) is a fantastic product. In my opinion and experience it is a superior bug removal product. When you spray it on, you can actually see the color from the insects running with the product after it dwells. Use it in conjunction with a bug sponge and a wash mit.

mc2hill
07-16-2020, 09:25 AM
ETCHED! That is exactly what i have. I used jeweling wax and thought i removed it, but this morning it is still there. How do i remove it?

As 'dennis b' pointed out the acid in the love bug bodies have etched INTO the paint. Once it gets that far, there is no removing them - only smoothing them over. The only complete solution is a repaint. My truck is over 20 years old, so I live with them.

Mike Phillips
07-16-2020, 09:48 AM
I agree with the below.

As 'dennis b' pointed out the acid in the love bug bodies have etched INTO the paint.

Once it gets that far, there is no removing them - only smoothing them over. The only complete solution is a repaint. My truck is over 20 years old, so I live with them.

The etching is where the acids from the bug guts have literally EATEN or ETCHED you could also say DISSOLVED the clear layer of paint.

Most of the instances of this that I've seen can never be fully corrected. The MOST you can do is COMPOUND HARD then polish and seal. This will tend to improve but not fully remove.

:)