PDA

View Full Version : Side Step

tae111
07-11-2020, 10:00 PM
My truck came with OEM side steps. They are not quite black, All metal, and a rough finish. Other than just washing them what could I use to keep them looking new. Sorry about my wife in the pic. That's the only one that shows them well.

Billy Baldone
07-12-2020, 07:52 AM
They will get rock rash on the front facing sides. I recommended to a customer of mine to order a roll of skateboard grip tape. You can cut it to fit those spots

tae111
07-12-2020, 08:45 AM
Thanks. There are a few tiny rock chips and finding the correct color is challenging. I have sent GM an email about this so maybe they can shed some light on it. As far as detailing goes what products can you put on these to enhance their appearance. Because of the textured paint I was thinking wax might not be the best solution.

vincec
07-12-2020, 09:03 AM
Thanks. There are a few tiny rock chips and finding the correct color is challenging. I have sent GM an email about this so maybe they can shed some light on it. As far as detailing goes what products can you put on these to enhance their appearance. Because of the textured paint I was thinking wax might not be the best solution.

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant works well for this. I have full length running boards on my Ram 1500 and use WETS to treat the black plastic. It can be slippery after applying but that goes away after a couple of washes.

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber protectant, metal protectant, exterior trim protectant, exterior trim sealer (https://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-exterior-trim-sealant.html)

JDGolden
07-12-2020, 10:33 AM
Not sure if anyone will agree with me, but my rock rails on my Jeep are a textured black. I've been applying regular 303 Aerospace protectant to them recently every wash. Also, I've seemed to use less product each time I apply it. They have cleaned up easier each time.

tae111
07-12-2020, 12:13 PM
That 303 Aerospace always looked interesting although I never tried it. I'm going to order some today thanks.

tae111
07-12-2020, 12:14 PM
These are all metal so I was going to stay away from the rubber and plastic stuff. The jury is still out though.

ducksfan
07-12-2020, 03:19 PM
NO, NO, NO!

Your not sorry of your wife being in the picture. Your proud that your lovely wife would add to the beauty of your vehicle picture.

TrustJesus
07-12-2020, 03:37 PM
@ducksfan is right, never say sorry.

PaulMys
07-12-2020, 05:09 PM
My OEM Ram step bars have textured black finish.

Wash mitts and MF towels are useless on them because they snag.

Grab a semi-stiff (not stiff) hand held brush and scrub them with whatever you are washing with.