PDA

View Full Version : How to wash black rims with clad coat on them?

TrustJesus
07-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Our Durango has the blacktop package. What safe brushes can I use to not scratch the clear coat?
Will boars bake brush scratch it?

Eldorado2k
07-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Can you post pics?

If you can’t or haven’t figured out how... The easy way is to download the Tapatalk app on your phone and use this forum through there. Posting pics from your phone is simple.

TrustJesus
07-10-2020, 02:56 PM
Hey Ric, your always first to my post lol.
I’ll have to download app, the rims are painted black with clear coat over them. Easy to scratch

vobro
07-10-2020, 04:34 PM
I had a Durango R/T with the Hyper Black rims and found a thick mftowel to be the best, the lug brush was ok with light pressure. Sadly the paint was super soft, I coated them and would power wash most often and it was good for a year. Super easy to polish though

TrustJesus
07-10-2020, 04:45 PM
You mean the actually car paint or the clear coat on the rims?

vobro
07-10-2020, 04:49 PM
The wheels, like you asked

The Guz
07-10-2020, 05:01 PM
The downside to black wheels is that they show everything just like black paint. I use to own black wheels and even the softest brush would swirl them over time. I found myself polishing them at least once a year to keep them defect free. Applying a ceramic coating helps in the cleaning aspect but regular washing is key to keep them looking nice.

TrustJesus
07-10-2020, 07:33 PM
@The Guz and everyone thanks for reply. Yes black wheels with clear coat are just hard to keep clean. I guess I’ll just use a thick microfiber towel not the actual brush.

The Guz
07-11-2020, 12:27 AM
@The Guz and everyone thanks for reply. Yes black wheels with clear coat are just hard to keep clean. I guess I’ll just use a thick microfiber towel not the actual brush.

I don't know how much space you have between your rotors and wheels but the microfiber madness incredi brush or wheel woolies might be a good option for the inner barrels. I use the autofiber wheel mitt for the faces. A lug nut brush is always a good thing to have and the wheel woolie one is nice.

Ceramic coating the wheels will make things a lot easier to clean and offer longer protection.

TrustJesus
07-13-2020, 11:13 PM
Would the wheel woolies be a good to reach all the way back of rim? Also can anyone recommend me a good wheel cleaner , I always try but they end up staying dirty.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/8e7ac5f579e5ded1e1fe0d1039fdc5f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline