PDA

View Full Version : Gyeon can coat prep

Pages : [1] 2 3

heloguy
07-03-2020, 09:19 PM
Hi all,
I searched the forums and couldn’t find a specific answer to a question.
I applied 2 coats of TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray after a full 1 step detail using HD Speed.

I just was introduced to Gyeon Can Coat and ordered some today.

My question is how would I prep the vehicle for application of the can cost?
Do I have to polish with the DA again?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acuRAS82
07-03-2020, 09:49 PM
Hi all,
I searched the forums and couldn’t find a specific answer to a question.
I applied 2 coats of TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray after a full 1 step detail using HD Speed.

I just was introduced to Gyeon Can Coat and ordered some today.
My question is how would I prep the vehicle for application of the can cost?
Do I have to polish with the DA again?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

In theory, yes you should prep by polishing the TW off and then removing polishing oils... don’t use HD Speed. It leaves short lived protection behind.

Cancoat is also a coating topper and it’s possible it could live on top of TW... but I’m guessing you wouldn’t get max performance of Cancoat as TW underneath might be a lesser base, and in your current situation I don’t think TW will last long anyways being on top of Speed.

The Guz
07-03-2020, 11:01 PM
Polish, prep wipe (CarPro Eraser. Gyeon Prep, etc..), double coat of cancoat 1 hour apart.

Do you have any other polishes?

acuRAS82
07-03-2020, 11:42 PM
Polish, prep wipe (CarPro Eraser. Gyeon Prep, etc..), double coat of cancoat 1 hour apart.

I didn’t know you were a double coat Cancoat guy, Guz. :)

Coatingsarecrack
07-04-2020, 03:00 AM
Yeah if it’s a fresh coat polish. Lsp stripping soaps will affect the performance of a fresh applied LSP but won’t remove it

heloguy
07-04-2020, 12:16 PM

Do you have any other polishes?

I have some meguiars polish.

The Guz
07-04-2020, 01:06 PM
I didn’t know you were a double coat Cancoat guy, Guz. :)

I double coat about every coating I use.

I have some meguiars polish.

Meguiar’s has many polishes so anything such as ultimate polish, M205, M210 will work. Just be sure to prep wipe prior to the coating application.

acuRAS82
07-04-2020, 01:09 PM
I double coat about every coating I use.
Cool, I’m a double coat guy, too. For coverage, but also I swear I get slightly better performance just about every time I double coat.

PaulMys
07-04-2020, 06:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200704/9107ecf58689de216f40bce4199d1c46.jpg

Yeah, me too. :cheers:

DMiglio
07-04-2020, 07:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200704/9107ecf58689de216f40bce4199d1c46.jpg

Yeah, me too.

I was scrolling down on my phone thinking about Collinite 476 as I saw all the “double coat” posts and wondering when you’d post. I saw the picture of 476 and looked at the username, lo and behold, PaulMys!! Great product like all Collinite waxes I’ve used.

For CanCoat, definitely polish the car again and use a panel prep spray of some sort to ensure it’s free of any oils. The product itself is extremely easy to use and apply/remove.

heloguy
08-17-2020, 12:07 PM
Hi guys,
what do you think about using 3D One with a black finishing pad to polish before coating?

The Guz
08-17-2020, 12:09 PM
Hi guys,
what do you think about using 3D One with a black finishing pad to polish before coating?

Really depends on your test spot and if you are content with the finish.

TTQ B4U
08-17-2020, 12:21 PM
Hi guys,

Personally I see no point. Black pads have no real cut and unless you're paint is aftermarket and orange peel free, it won't have any significant refinement applied that would be worth anything. I would simply pop on a light polishing pad and give it a once over. I would also recommend you look the coating line you plan on using to see if they have a primer or base-coat polish you can use. CarPro Essence or GYEON's Primer are two that come to mind for their respective coatings. Being this is a CanCoat thread, I'd stress using Primer. It's a great product and helps CanCoat go on and off easier. It's my go-to polish for GYEON coatings.

acuRAS82
08-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Hi guys,

And after your test spot, fully buff the area, spray some prep spray, wipe off and see if you feel any slickness at all or is the surface squeaky clean?

Desertnate
08-17-2020, 03:36 PM
Personally I see no point. Black pads have no real cut and unless you're paint is aftermarket and orange peel free, it won't have any significant refinement applied that would be worth anything.

Agree and I'd go so far as to say using a black pad would be a waste of time. It's REALLY soft and better suited to applying an LSP. If you wanted to go very gentle a blue LC pad would be a better choice. Realistically, I'd think a white pad with 3D One would be a good starting point for a test spot.