PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade to a Flex 3401?

Pages : [1] 2

royalkangaroo
07-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Hi All, I’ve been using my GG6 for many years now, on my own vehicles, relatives, and occasionally to make a couple bucks. I’m not doing this as a business.

With that said, I’ve been more apprehensive (or lazy) lately because I feel like the GG6 just takes so long to do a car. I’ve stuck with the 2’ x 2’ selections, 4-6 passes, good form, etc. I also break down a vehicle into parts where I need to step down to a 3” backing plate with a 4” pad just to make sure I keep the machine rotating with enough correcting power. (Pillars, narrow bumper sections, mirrors). I’ve always had great results, just a lot of time involved.

Will a Flex 3401 save me on time? I’ve read plenty with folks saying they’ve saved anywhere from 20-60% of time when doing a car. Obviously there’s the drive aspect which directly results in more correcting power. Also it seems that the Flex can handle 6.5” pads adequately where I feel the GG6 does all it can with 5.5 flat pads. This obviously appeals to me with larger panels such as my truck.

Am I going to see a big improvement moving up to the Flex 3401 or should I just continue to grind it out with the GG6 for the 5 cars a year I deal with?

Bruno Soares
07-01-2020, 07:42 PM
Watch the video from Mike and Yancy they did yesterday. You’ll definitely save time.

vobro
07-01-2020, 07:46 PM
I sure saved time by switching,how much I’m not sure but it’s noticeable for sure. Years ago I went from GG6 to the 3401 and what I did notice is on vertical panels the Flex can give you a workout, I learned to switch hands to help combat the “walking” that the Flex does. I have long throws, PC style and I still reach for the 3401 80% of the time because with the Flex it’s no stall and all brawl

TTQ B4U
07-01-2020, 07:51 PM
It will save you 40% plus time. I won't be moving away from forced drive mainly for time savings but also they work everywhere. No more needing to worry about the pad nor spinning.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
07-01-2020, 07:52 PM
Another aspect to consider is this:

Is the time savings worth the extra clear coat removed from the way more powerful Flex?

If your car is a lease, or you trade it in every 3-4 years, then I would say yes. If you plan on keeping it for 10+ years, then a few more hours to save a little clear would be my choice.

JMO.........

TTQ B4U
07-01-2020, 07:53 PM

Is the time savings worth the extra clear coat removed from the way more powerful Flex?

If your car is a lease, or you trade it in every 3-4 years, then I would say yes. If you plan on keeping it for 10+ years, then a few more hours to save a little clear would be my choice.

JMO.........The amount of clear removed isn't an issue. Thats easily controlled by what product and pad used. Also doing less passes.

PaulMys
07-01-2020, 07:55 PM
The amount of clear removed isn't an issue. Thats easily controlled by what product and pad used. Also doing less passes.

Good to know...........

spazzz
07-01-2020, 08:13 PM
The amount of clear removed isn't an issue. Thats easily controlled by what product and pad used. Also doing less passes.

I definitely agree with less passes.

I switched from a porter cable 6 years ago and I am still pleased every time I pick the 3401 up.
It is a wonderful feeling not having to adjust for uniform spinning. Concentrating on the paint and not machine performace is a plus.

Finick
07-01-2020, 08:56 PM
It will save you 40% plus time. I won't be moving away from forced drive mainly for time savings but also they work everywhere. No more needing to worry about the pad nor spinning.

Something I’ve been wondering about a forced rotation machine - do you polish with it as well?

I’m very tempted to get a cordless 3401, but I’d like to be able to polish with it as well vs having to swap back to my mt300. I’d like it to be my polisher I use for everything is what I’m really getting at.

Being a hobbyist mostly I can’t really justify getting the 3401 if I still end up using another machine to polish as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vobro
07-01-2020, 09:13 PM
Yes you can polish with it, there’s been a few Jet black colors that the long throws finished off better for me but it’s an excellent tool.

Zenny
07-01-2020, 10:45 PM
This is probably not what you want to hear but why not stay with Griots and step up to a 15mm throw to achieve more speed? My original GG6 purchased in 2006 lasted 11 years and it was replaced under its lifetime warranty. Now it’s on a 3” plate and I have a Boss G15 which is a nice step up. I pair it with Rupes 5” yellow foam pad or medium wool pad for more cutting power. I prefer the goldilocks 5" pad.

Dr Oldz
07-02-2020, 12:32 AM
Hi All, I’ve been using my GG6 for many years now, on my own vehicles, relatives, and occasionally to make a couple bucks. I’m not doing this as a business.

With that said, I’ve been more apprehensive (or lazy) lately because I feel like the GG6 just takes so long to do a car. I’ve stuck with the 2’ x 2’ selections, 4-6 passes, good form, etc. I also break down a vehicle into parts where I need to step down to a 3” backing plate with a 4” pad just to make sure I keep the machine rotating with enough correcting power. (Pillars, narrow bumper sections, mirrors). I’ve always had great results, just a lot of time involved.

Will a Flex 3401 save me on time? I’ve read plenty with folks saying they’ve saved anywhere from 20-60% of time when doing a car. Obviously there’s the drive aspect which directly results in more correcting power. Also it seems that the Flex can handle 6.5” pads adequately where I feel the GG6 does all it can with 5.5 flat pads. This obviously appeals to me with larger panels such as my truck.

Am I going to see a big improvement moving up to the Flex 3401 or should I just continue to grind it out with the GG6 for the 5 cars a year I deal with?

Yes you should get one. It will be your “epiphany” moment.

Dr Oldz
07-02-2020, 12:36 AM

JMO.........

Paul, I must respectfully disagree with you here. And my reasoning......

If it takes you longer to remove swirls with a GG6 and faster with the 3401, the same amount of clear has been removed. To achieve a swirl free finish, you must level the paint to a depth below the defects. Follow me?

Dr Oldz
07-02-2020, 12:42 AM
This is probably not what you want to hear but why not stay with Griots and step up to a 15mm throw to achieve more speed? My original GG6 purchased in 2006 lasted 11 years and it was replaced under its lifetime warranty. Now it’s on a 3” plate and I have a Boss G15 which is a nice step up. I pair it with Rupes 5” yellow foam pad or medium wool pad for more cutting power. I prefer the goldilocks 5" pad.

Thing is a 15mm will stall more. The GG6 is plenty powerful. The 15 is also powerful, until you hit a curve or a oddly shaped area. Flat panels, I agree the 15 will out muscle the 6. Problem is nobody makes a square vehicle anymore. The 3401 doesn’t care if it’s a curve, small panel, big panel, convex or concave.... it just keeps oscillating and rotating. Yea, it is more physical but that’s what makes if faster.

Zenny
07-02-2020, 02:36 AM
Thing is a 15mm will stall more. The GG6 is plenty powerful. The 15 is also powerful, until you hit a curve or a oddly shaped area. Flat panels, I agree the 15 will out muscle the 6. Problem is nobody makes a square vehicle anymore. The 3401 doesn’t care if it’s a curve, small panel, big panel, convex or concave.... it just keeps oscillating and rotating. Yea, it is more physical but that’s what makes if faster.

I’ve never used a Flex 3401 so I’ll take your word for it. In terms of my experience with the Boss G15 vs GG6 there has never been an instance where I felt disappointed and a GG6 would do better. The improvement in vibration, ergonomics and maneuverability are so much higher I considered trading in a GG6 for a smaller G8. As a weekend enthusiast I can’t thank Griots enough for backing their products with a lifetime warranty.