PDA

View Full Version : Tire coatings

Pages : [1] 2

Coatingsarecrack
07-01-2020, 03:03 PM
So i just finally got around to coating my tires. Used Mckee’s 37 tire coating i know it’s not sold here but was bought here.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200701/534a9e8d608c8dac5475377b60f786be.jpg

I did two coats and looks perfect.

I wanted to post about some issues i’ve read with Optimums tire coating and probably a problem with most tire coatings.

I haven’t applied any product to tires since February.
I’ve cleaned several time till foamed white atleast 3 times with 303 tire and rubber and LATA.

I tested a little spot to check self leveling claims. I wasn’t happy with appearance of coating. Looked blotchy maybe some browning?

Ordered a drill brush (I had to order elsewhere as i needed the small 2” for my lo pros)

My tires had come clean white with hand scrubbing with 303 T&R and tuf shine brush before test spot.

Once drill brush was in i cleaned with tuf shine brush again. 2 times and foam was white. I then cleaned with drill brush and the 303 and foam browned up again. It looked pretty black after hand scrubbing but kinda looked like a “film” was their?

Anyways to sum up:

Mckee’s tirecoating looks great after a day.

The 303 tire and rubber is a good cleaner. I like the neon purple color.

The tuf shine brush..... well you all already know.

Machine scrubbing old tires highly recommended (thanks for that Mike) and even new. I think it would fix the browning issues people had with Optimum tirecoat.

If you have an angled driver or a cordless rotary would work way better than standard drill/driver although worked fine for me. An angled machine would make it way easier.

The look:

Looks perfectly applied, was worried about high spots but product was self leveling and came out fine.

2 coats looks dark black with a little sheen. I dont like shiny and don’t like matte. Came out perfect.

Links to products from AG

303 Tire & Rubber Cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/303-tire-and-rubber-cleaner.html)

I have tuff shine brush but actually used this one from AG

Low Profile Tire Brush (https://www.autogeek.net/low-profile-tire-brush.html)

Oh and used this to apply, worked perfectly

Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicators, tire brush, tire shine applicator (https://www.autogeek.net/carrand-tire-dressing-brush.html)

On top of these a 2” drill brush and the coating.

I’ll post updates on durability but will be topping with Tac systems tire coat to use up. Probably let ride for 2 months before though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
07-01-2020, 04:23 PM
Will be interested to see what your opinions are as time goes on. I've yet to find a tire dressing that I think over the weeks lasts enough to my liking. I'm okay with simply using Meg's Hyperdressing at 3:1 ratios for now.

acuRAS82
07-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the review.

I continue to forget to order the machine brush, but hopefully soon. I’ve been screwed with trusting my hand cleaning too many times, hand cleaning on old tires previously having dressings... particularly getting near the rims. For that reason I switched back to dressings during the winter and will wait to try coatings again for new sets of tires, starting with the X5 M winters this December.

spazzz
07-01-2020, 07:38 PM
It looks like you did a review of Tac tire coat a bit over a year ago.
How did that hold up?
I like the way it looked then. Why switch? unless of course it lasted a week

Coatingsarecrack
07-01-2020, 07:46 PM
It looks like you did a review of Tac tire coat a bit over a year ago.
How did that hold up?
I like the way it looked then. Why switch? unless of course it lasted a week

I got about 1.5 months where i felt it needed to be topped. Personal preference would top off monthly. Looked fine with just hand cleaning of tires.

Most tire shine i used lasted 2 weeks at most to my liking. I got twice as long from tacs tirecoat and could wash and top monthly and be fine.

In this instance i wanted something that will give me 3 months or more before topping. I’ve read some have had 6 months to a year but figure with low profiles and harder cornering i will wear edges out.

Coatingsarecrack
07-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Will be interested to see what your opinions are as time goes on. I've yet to find a tire dressing that I think over the weeks lasts enough to my liking. I'm okay with simply using Meg's Hyperdressing at 3:1 ratios for now.

This is a coating. I think guz got close to a year. I’ll be happy 3-6 months but post was to highlight more the cleaning process to clear up issues others have had with browning and blotchiness.

fly07sti
07-01-2020, 08:40 PM
@Coatingsarecrack, You need to let me send you some BP. Game Over!

acuRAS82
07-01-2020, 09:00 PM
Guz gets a year I’m guessing because no rain. Hopefully you’ll get 3-6 months in your climate... I feel rain is the biggest destroyer of tire protectants. I think you will get at least 3, but your liking will be the wildcard. I always wanted to redo the coating at around 3, but doesn’t mean it was gone. Plus I never fully trusted my hand cleaning the tires to perfection prior to application.

Looking forward to updates!

The Guz
07-01-2020, 10:31 PM
You will get more than 3 months. And when you need to top it, top it with itself. Simple wash and a prep wipe with like Eraser and another coat or two and you are done. The tac system won't last that long as a topper on McKee's with the acrylic giving it a harder shell for anything to penetrate onto the actual tire. Did you get the most recent version? This version lasts much longer than the previous version.

You just reminded me to put tac systems tire coat up on the Autopia giveaway thread. I was not a fan of it. It looks ok but when it starts to degrade it leaves the tire brown. Did this every time I used it.

By the way Nick mentioned to me that he is working on a new version of the tire coating. Don't know when it will be out.

acuRAS82
07-01-2020, 11:17 PM
You will get more than 3 months. And when you need to top it, top it with itself. Simple wash and a prep wipe with like Eraser and another coat or two and you are done. The tac system won't last that long as a topper on McKee's with the acrylic giving it a harder shell for anything to penetrate onto the actual tire. Did you get the most recent version? This version lasts much longer than the previous version.
By the way Nick mentioned to me that he is working on a new version of the tire coating. Don't know when it will be out.
Guz, are you referencing new vs old version of TAC System? Or are you saying there’s a new vs old Mckees (separate from whatever Nick is working on now)?

Sorry for the confusion, just trying to keep track of whether there’s currently multiple versions of Mckees and what time frame the newest would have come out (again, separate from whatever Nick has not released yet).

The Guz
07-02-2020, 12:35 AM
Guz, are you referencing new vs old version of TAC System? Or are you saying there’s a new vs old Mckees (separate from whatever Nick is working on now)?

Sorry for the confusion, just trying to keep track of whether there’s currently multiple versions of Mckees and what time frame the newest would have come out (again, separate from whatever Nick has not released yet).

I meant McKee's.

Coatingsarecrack
07-02-2020, 02:00 AM
I meant McKee's.

I bought right before AG put on clearance

acuRAS82
07-02-2020, 04:15 AM

What you have should be the updated formula.

I needed Guz to snap my memory, I do recall a “New formula” tag on this product and I think I got it during that time. I got mine Christmas 2018 when there was a huge sale on Mckees website. Fingers crossed it was the new formula that caught my eye and convinced me to go acrylic coating.

spazzz
07-02-2020, 02:42 PM
@Coatingsarecrack, You need to let me send you some BP. Game Over!

Hellyes

Do you get it from the place in Florida?
I have about 30oz left but ya never know.

The Guz
07-02-2020, 05:36 PM

I think I ordered a bottle of Autopia during the close out and it was the previous formula. I don't have a photo of the bottles side by side. The current version used to have the new formula sticker on it. If you post up a photo of the bottle I will let you know which version you have.

By the way the current version does go bad. Mine started to turn into cottage cheese and that bottle went to the trash.

What you have should be the updated formula.

I needed Guz to snap my memory, I do recall a “New formula” tag on this product and I think I got it during that time. I got mine Christmas 2018 when there was a huge sale on Mckees website. Fingers crossed it was the new formula that caught my eye and convinced me to go acrylic coating.

Well this one will be phased out for an even newer version once Nick completes the formula. You better use it up as much as you can for the reason I just posted.