PDA

View Full Version : FLEX + Extension cord

Pages : [1] 2

TObleRONE
03-28-2008, 01:41 PM
What gauge extension cord should I buy for the FLEX? I want to buy one while I am waiting for it to arrive on backorder...

YankeeFan
03-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Don't see a clear cut answer yet but it depends on the length of the cord. I'm going close to 100' so I got a 12 gauge. I assume if you are around 50' or less you can use a 14 gauge but not positive as I do not believe the manual states anything.

Howard

MadOzodi
03-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Well, I had my halogens on @ 600W while using the Flex at the same time, plugged into my 50' 14 gauge Craftsman extension cord, rated at 1625W...I was afraid to crank the halogens up to 1200W.

wytstang
03-29-2008, 12:07 AM
I just picked up a Yellow Jacket 100 ft 12 gauge 15 amp/125Volt/1875Watt extension cord from Lowes for I think $60 something bucks. It's not cheap but man this thing has quality written all over it. I did the cheap cord a while back and the "jacket" seems to be thinning all ready. I barely even use the darn thing, maybe once a moth if that. This cord is my choice for any machine really, it's just built to take on anything. Worth every penny IMHO heck I'll pick up my dad one so he can retire the hacked up ones he uses just to be safe.
Ace - Ace Tree: Electrical: Extension Cords & Power Strips: Extension Cords: Outdoor Extension Cords: Yellow Jacket Extension Cord (http://www.acehardware.com/sm-yellow-jacket-extension-cord-yellow-jacket-extension-cord-price-59--pi-1297900.html)

wytstang
03-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Also I'm strongly considering the Flex so this was my main reason picking the length and gauge I did. I know the Flex (or any buffer) has all the juice it needs with no worries.

Gary Sword
03-29-2008, 07:08 AM
I would get a 12 gauge. The smaller the gauge the thicker the wire. So 14 gauge has thinner wire then a 12 gauge. If the wire is to thin you will have over heating problems.

Al-53
03-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I just picked up a Yellow Jacket 100 ft 12 gauge 15 amp/125Volt/1875Watt extension cord from Lowes for I think $60 something bucks. It's not cheap but man this thing has quality written all over it. I did the cheap cord a while back and the "jacket" seems to be thinning all ready. I barely even use the darn thing, maybe once a moth if that. This cord is my choice for any machine really, it's just built to take on anything. Worth every penny IMHO heck I'll pick up my dad one so he can retire the hacked up ones he uses just to be safe.
Ace - Ace Tree: Electrical: Extension Cords & Power Strips: Extension Cords: Outdoor Extension Cords: Yellow Jacket Extension Cord (http://www.acehardware.com/sm-yellow-jacket-extension-cord-yellow-jacket-extension-cord-price-59--pi-1297900.html)

Yes..thats the cord to get...its construction grade and will handle 99% of all applications...I have one in 25ft...50ft and 100ft...and never had a tool over heat or a cord over heat...well worth the money...12 ga is the way to go to feed high amp power tools ....or extractors..

AL

Jimmie
03-29-2008, 04:36 PM
+1 for 12g. Craftsman makes a good one also.

TObleRONE
03-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all of the advice everyone!

Carbon Blue
03-30-2008, 05:07 PM
WOW and this whole time i thought all extension cords were the same. Ive been using the same 25 foot extension cord for about 4 years that has been cut in 2 or 3 different places and I just keep fixing it up. Maybe this should be my next purchase. :)

wytstang
03-30-2008, 10:38 PM
If you are repairing wire you should solder wire to make it a "whole" again. Twisting wire and taping it or capping them leaves breaks in the wire making them "jump or arc" to the next wire. This causes resistance making the wire hotter and taking away power/juice to whatever is asking for juice. Many times machines start to run hotter because they are fighting to get power and handle the work load. Having the proper extension cord to match the machine being used keeps them running strong and cooler. Since buffers are hard at work for 4+ hours having a good extension cord plays a large role. Now if you are using a machine on and off for just an hour a patched up cord would work, since the demand is low and there is a cooling period. But it is always best and recommended that cord matches the machine for optimal operation.

TOGWT
03-31-2008, 04:35 AM
Prime Wire & Cable Duplex GFCI (Ground Fault Indicator) Junction Box with 6-Ft. Cord, Model# GF200806 Portable GFCI duplex receptacle detects power leaks and shuts off electricity in less than a second to prevent shock. Test and reset buttons Tough jobsite box with 6-ft. 12/3 SJTW power cord UL listed, meets OSHA standards.

Prime Wire & Cable 50-Ft extension 12/3 Neon Power Cord — Blue, Model# NS514830
Bright NEON extension cord stands out for easy identification. 12 Gauge, SJTW, 3 prong cord features super-flexible vinyl jacket with a cold temperature rating of -31°F. LIGHTED connector indicates when power is on. Cord is water and flame resistant and rated at 15 amps, 125V, 1875 watts, UL listed and meets OSHA standards – Northern Tool Co - Portable Generators, Heaters + Wood Stoves, Snow Blowers, Pressure Washers | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com)

TOGWT
03-31-2008, 04:36 AM
Prime Wire & Cable Duplex GFCI (Ground Fault Indicator) Junction Box with 6-Ft. Cord, Model# GF200806 Portable GFCI duplex receptacle detects power leaks and shuts off electricity in less than a second to prevent shock. Test and reset buttons Tough jobsite box with 6-ft. 12/3 SJTW power cord UL listed, meets OSHA standards.

Prime Wire & Cable 50-Ft extension 12/3 Neon Power Cord — Blue, Model# NS514830
Bright NEON extension cord stands out for easy identification. 12 Gauge, SJTW, 3 prong cord features super-flexible vinyl jacket with a cold temperature rating of -31°F. LIGHTED connector indicates when power is on. Cord is water and flame resistant and rated at 15 amps, 125V, 1875 watts, UL listed and meets OSHA standards – Northern Tool Co - Portable Generators, Heaters + Wood Stoves, Snow Blowers, Pressure Washers | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com)

trlblazer3
04-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I picked up a 100' Rigid 12 ga. contractors grade a few months ago -works like a champ. Main use will be for my halogens and my Durrmaid.

chefwong
04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I prefer 12 gauge from the main, but I usually use a 14 gauge 25 footer connected between that and the 12awg extension cord.

14awg is just lighter and more flexible.