PDA

View Full Version : New Guy w/ Questions

MikeyNice
03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Hey guys/gals, Ive been reading for a while and the info here actually has my head spinning. Im not a pro detailer but like to take care of my own vehicles. Unfortunataly due to my work schedule and 3 children I just dont have the time I used to have to detail my cars. Anyway I plan on placing an order here at AG and getting some quality products to replace some of the junk I have in my garage. I was hoping you guys could take a look at my list and let me know what you think. The cars are an 05 Caravan (Atlantic Blue Pearl) and an 08 Land Rover (Stornoway Gray Metallic). Due to lack of time I based my products more for durabilty/longevity than for show. Here is my list:
-Wash-Autogeek Quart Foamaster Foam Gun w/ DP Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo
-Clay-Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Kit
-Buffer-7424 w/ Orange, White, Gray, Blue 5.5" LC CCS pads
-Polish-Optimum Polish(OPT-400)
-Sealant-Duragloss Total Performance Polish(DG-105)
-Wax-Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax(CO-845)
-Trim-303 Aerospace Protectant
-Leather-I have some Meguiers Gold Class Cleaner/Conditioner
-HD Guzzlers,Cobra Indigo Microfiber Polishing Cloths
The Caravan will get full treatment the Land Rover will get everything except polish.
Are the 5.5" pads ok for a beginner or are 6.5" better? Can I apply polish, sealant, wax w/ buffer? Are these products Ok for my colors? Any opinions/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dbrufus1234
03-30-2008, 12:04 PM
did you look at any on the menzerna polish products they are pretty nice, and the 5.5" pads will do fine (dont forget to get a backing plate for the 7424). if you get the 5" backing plate the 5.5" pads will be better but if you get the 6" backing plate the 6.5" pads will be better

MikeyNice
03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks...Yes I did look at the menzerna products there a little on the high side for me. Anybody else have any thoughts on the products I chose. Id like to get an order in within the next day or two.

MikeyNice
04-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Guys any other thoughts on the polish/sealant/wax I chose. Thanks.

Jimmie
04-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Your list is excellent IMO. I apply wax by hand as do a lot on here so I would wait on the gray and blue pads.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Your sealant and wax choices are spot on for what you are lookinf for.. I would however reconsider your polish choice as has been suggested especially considering you are using a PC.. from my experience Opt polishes with a PC was DID NOT provide acceptable results....

Dont go on the cheap for the polish as the final finish of your paint will look only as good as the paint after polish with no lsp... the beauty comes from the prep....

Trust me, I purchased the ful line of Opt polishes and was not happy with the results via PC

ScottB
04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
I would replace Optimum polish with 106FF from Menzerna or SIP/106FF as needed for compound issues.

MikeyNice
04-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Ok I think I will change the Optimum polish to 106ff. Now the 106ff is applied w/ PC and white or orange pads?? It seems like wax is applied by hand?? What about the sealant (hand or PC)? Also the Caravan could probally use the polish but the Land Rover is brand new so should I skip the polish and just seal and wax??

MadOzodi
04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
106FF is applied w/PC and white pad first on a test section; always start with the least abrasive. Both wax and sealant can be done by hand or with PC; to save $$$ I'd suggest doing it by hand.

You need to shine a bright light on the paint or look at the sun's reflection on the paint to see if the Land Rover needs a polish. If there are any swirls, it'll be obvious.