PDA

View Full Version : Does foaming break down LSP faster?

Pages : [1] 2

spewking
06-20-2020, 10:42 AM
I have not regularly used the soap foaming step in my wash routine and did recently after a highway trip to get all the grime off. I’ve always wondered if you guys foam regularly like each wash? Or every other? Have you noticed any advanced rate of degradation of your wax, syn wax, or coating? I have WGDGS on the car I am working on. Thanks.

Bill D
06-20-2020, 10:52 AM
I only foam via foam gun. I don’t see how foam could possibly break down a LSP unless you are using a harsh soap. I don’t fear breaking down my LSP from foam. I’ve never noticed it getting diminished and I would just replenish it if it did.

Rsurfer
06-20-2020, 03:11 PM
I have not regularly used the soap foaming step in my wash routine and did recently after a highway trip to get all the grime off. I’ve always wondered if you guys foam regularly like each wash? Or every other? Have you noticed any advanced rate of degradation of your wax, syn wax, or coating? I have WGDGS on the car I am working on. Thanks.

Car soap whether from a foam cannon or foam gun will not break down your LSP. Granted anytime you touch your paint some microscopic layer of your LSP is removed.

Coatingsarecrack
06-21-2020, 02:46 AM

Depends on the soap. Alkaline soaps will degrade and some not like Reset may also. Also don’t over use too much soap.

A great soap made for a foam cannon and is PH neutral is Griots surface wash. Use it all the time and it’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA DETAILER
06-21-2020, 04:49 AM
I use a foam gun every wash. Pair it with the WAX SHOP'S cherry foam soap. The most effective soap I have found for the foam gun. As mentioned above, unless it's a really harsh soap, foaming will not degrade your LSP.

Wax Shop Cherry Snow Foam Car Wash 128 oz. (https://www.autogeek.net/wax-shop-cherry-foam-wash-128.html)

FUNX650
06-21-2020, 11:47 AM
IMO:
•A soap-foaming-step will break down an LSP
faster than by not using a soap-foaming-step:
-Law of Entropy;
-“every time it’s ‘touched’”(~MP);
-etc.

With that being said:
•All we've probably got to do now is attempt to
put definitive time periods on what constitutes:
—Faster vs. Not as Fast—(?).

Bob

mwoolfso
06-21-2020, 02:00 PM
Car soap whether from a foam cannon or foam gun will not break down your LSP. Granted anytime you touch your paint some microscopic layer of your LSP is removed.

CG makes very good stripper soaps and they do work. To the lamen... these are not pH-neutral soaps. And some products left to dwell on a surface will improve the product's efficacy. In short, the answer is a qualified "maybe" but it really does depend on the soap, the type of grime, dilution ratio, etc...

Rsurfer
06-21-2020, 08:52 PM
CG makes very good stripper soaps and they do work. To the lamen... these are not pH-neutral soaps. And some products left to dwell on a surface will improve the product's efficacy. In short, the answer is a qualified "maybe" but it really does depend on the soap, the type of grime, dilution ratio, etc...

I was talking about car soap (shampoo), not a stripper, if there is such a thing that works.

Coatingsarecrack
06-22-2020, 03:37 AM
IMO:
•A soap-foaming-step will break down an LSP
faster than by not using a soap-foaming-step:
-Law of Entropy;
-“every time it’s ‘touched’”(~MP);
-etc.

With that being said:
•All we've probably got to do now is attempt to
put definitive time periods on what constitutes:
—Faster vs. Not as Fast—(?).

Bob

So all the manufacturers claims that the will not degrade waxes are lies? I may give you at best foaming with a ph neutral soap weekly may degrade a day or so of life but i doubt it.

FUNX650
06-22-2020, 08:06 AM
So all the manufacturers claims that
the will not degrade waxes are lies?

I may give you at best foaming with a
ph neutral soap weekly may degrade
a day or so of life but i doubt it.

•Believe what you will.

•But...Riddle me this:
-In a Wax “system”—How thick is
a film layer of Wax?

-When does a Wax system begin its aging process?

-Even though you’ve stated Manufacturers’ claims
to the contrary...Why wouldn’t enterprises, that
involve “Touching” the Wax film, not degrade it?

-Have Foam Manufacturers suddenly found
a way to decrease, or perhaps even stop,
the disorder-curve for Wax systems’ aging
processes?

Bob

TTQ B4U
06-22-2020, 08:19 AM
depends on the alkalinity of it when using it. I tested a couple products a customer of mine used on a vehicle I coated and he left chemical streaks and stripped most of the coating with it. when I tested them 2 of 3 were PH ratings higher than 11. that will for sure damage even a ceramic
coating. I've tested it on my wifes car.

Mike Phillips
06-22-2020, 08:20 AM
Granted anytime you touch your paint some microscopic layer of your LSP is removed.

Agree.

Anytime you "touch" the paint, for example rubbing a wash mitt over it. While the soap will provide lubrication, the physical contact between the mitt and the paint will micro-abrade off any wax or sealant.

The more you wash your car - the less wax or sealant you will have on the car.

That is one benefit of paint coatings - they form a semi-permanent bond to the paint.

:)

Coatingsarecrack
06-22-2020, 08:20 PM
•Believe what you will.

•But...Riddle me this:
-In a Wax “system”—How thick is
a film layer of Wax?

-When does a Wax system begin its aging process?

-Even though you’ve stated Manufacturers’ claims
to the contrary...Why wouldn’t enterprises, that
involve “Touching” the Wax film, not degrade it?

-Have Foam Manufacturers suddenly found
a way to decrease, or perhaps even stop,
the disorder-curve for Wax systems’ aging
processes?

Bob

The chemical is actually touching but if it doesn’t chemically affect the wax. If you spray water onto brass it does corrode? And again their may be a minutia of degradation but not enough to make a difference to your LSP before re applying. Foaming hasn’t hurt my coating or sealants i run test on unless i’m using on of my alkalinic soaps

Mike@ShineStruck
06-23-2020, 11:40 AM
Every product is literally different with chemical resistance types

I've did many tests..some will fail from acid and withstand solvent and alki..some will fail with solvent or alki and be fine with acid

If you want the best chance of chemically stripping you NEED to do acid, alkaline and solvent....

FUNX650
06-23-2020, 12:20 PM
If you want the best chance
of chemically stripping
you NEED to do acid, alkaline and solvent....

Or just use a mild polish:
It’ll have all the right stuff. :xyxthumbs:

Bob