PDA

View Full Version : Rv roof cleaning,coating?

c62008
06-18-2020, 03:45 PM
Having power washed the roof which is a textured fiberglass, is there a recommendation for a coating, sealant or protection to help keep it clean and mold free. I’m thinking waxing would be a accident waiting to happen but some kind of a sealer maybe. Not on roof only a couple times a year for cleaning and inspection.this is a class b 34 footer. Thank in advance.

Mike Phillips
06-19-2020, 09:20 AM
Having power washed the roof which is a textured fiberglass, is there a recommendation for a coating, sealant or protection to help keep it clean and mold free.

This is out of my area of experience and expertise. But if you can provide some more info that will help.

When you say the roof is TEXTURED FIBERGLASS - is it textured but SMOOTH and GLOSSY?

Can you get a picture?

Post it here or send it to me,

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net (http://Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net)

If the surface is smooth fiberglass, which is polyester resin -then I would think you could apply SONAX Polymer Net Shield.

See my article here,

SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-new-car-detailing-how-to-article-by-mike-phillips/120275-sonax-polymer-net-shield-closest-thing-coating-without-being-coating.html)

:)

davidc
06-19-2020, 09:37 AM
A high dollar motor home builder told the owner to use mop and glo.

Mike Phillips
06-22-2020, 08:38 AM
A high dollar motor home builder told the owner to use mop and glo.

That would actually work, I think. They key would be to of course, get the top really clean first.

Mop & Glow is a non-cleaning floor wax or floor acrylic coatings. Again - I think.

davidc
06-22-2020, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I was really surprised to hear it and almost laughed. Who ever he talked to at the factory told him that's what they use on the roof. I watched him mop it on and kept my mouth shut, can't argue with a manufacturer especially if they are right.

Mike Phillips
06-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I was really surprised to hear it and almost laughed.

Who ever he talked to at the factory told him that's what they use on the roof.

I watched him mop it on and kept my mouth shut, can't argue with a manufacturer especially if they are right.

Think about how much of a beating a "floor" takes?

:buffing:

Hermes1
06-24-2020, 02:39 PM
IMHO Mop and Glow is a poor choice for any exterior surface for the simple reason it is designed for floors, ie. indoor use where UV is not an issue. A better choice since you say your roof is fiberglass would be a good quality RV or Marine sealant.

Billy Baldone
06-24-2020, 07:10 PM
Is it a rubber roof?

c62008
06-24-2020, 09:02 PM
no its a rough textured fiberglass. I ended up using a 3d all in one cleaner wax.

Mike Phillips
06-25-2020, 09:07 AM
no its a rough textured fiberglass. I ended up using a 3d all in one cleaner wax.

Good choice. Don't you love how nice the product works and how easy it wipes off?