PDA

View Full Version : Dilution products- distilled water or purified?

Pages : [1] 2

TrustJesus
06-16-2020, 07:19 PM
I just got Meguiars All purpose cleaner with a few other things. I know someone said to use distilled water for product to be effective. Can I use purified water instead and have same results or it has to be distilled.

Klasse Act
06-16-2020, 07:32 PM
Distilled is better for storage as alot of us make gallons at a time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bruno Soares
06-16-2020, 07:43 PM
If you’re going to use all of it at once (like a bottle of clay lube) then purified water is fine. If you’re storing and using the product slowly, distilled is the way to go.

TrustJesus
06-16-2020, 08:00 PM
Ok, I looked for a thread but couldn’t find one. I’ve heard if you mix regular tap water sometimes the end result will leave white residue. Keyword “sometimes, at that point your wasting product.

acuRAS82
06-16-2020, 08:33 PM
Ok, I looked for a thread but couldn’t find one. I’ve heard if you mix regular tap water sometimes the end result will leave white residue. Keyword “sometimes, at that point your wasting product.

Tap water has minerals. The minerals will arise in the bottle and in tiny amounts, are being deposited into the paint when sprayed. But I’ve never seen issues on paint due to not using distilled, it’s just known that minerals are in the water (as they are in rain, sprinkler water, etc.). As my toilet bowl or sink knows, if you let minerals sit in water long enough, they will eventually settle on the solid surfaces, such as a spray bottle that has been in storage for weeks/months.

Klasse and Bsoares explained all you need to know, above. Use distilled if not finishing quickly.

TrustJesus
06-16-2020, 08:55 PM
ok thanks for clarifying, I got it.

pilotpip
06-17-2020, 09:06 AM
Depending on your location, tap water will have mineral deposits of varying degree. Chemistry of the water can have a huge effect on a lot of things. In fact, breweries with different locations will actually change the chemistry of the water to mimic where they are based so you get a consistent product. If you like to drink beers that have "bud" in their name, the brewer is mimicking Mississippi River water going past St. Louis regardless of if the bottle was brewed here, or Jacksonville, or Los Angeles.

Distilled water has this stuff taken out. It can be bought for less than a dollar a gallon at grocery stores around here. That's what I use for APC, Uber, and other products I dilute myself.

Mike Phillips
06-17-2020, 11:00 AM
I just use whatever water is closest to my hand....

:dunno:

ducksfan
06-17-2020, 12:59 PM
I just use whatever water is closest to my hand....

:dunno:

Since you know some pretty good chemists. You might want to have them show you the difference in performance distilled can make with some of their creations.

I used to think it just kept products from getting funky if they sat for a period of time. Then I had someone who was trained in water purification show me how much better cleaners work that aren't polluted with what's in tap water. I've never looked back. In small amounts, <$1 a gallon isn't that much.

Eldorado2k
06-17-2020, 01:07 PM
I’ve always thought about the difference distilled water could make in regards to claylube.
Reason being is sometimes I can get a bit liberal with the lube and on panels such as the hood if I spray a ton of lube it can drip onto the bumper... And if you forget and let that water dry it could possibly cause water steaks/spots?

Maybe I’m overthinking... Maybe it’s because I once detailed a Chrysler 300 and at the end of the detail I noticed these nasty streaks on the bumper that were impossible to remove and I wasn’t completely sure whether I caused them or not..

Looking back I’m pretty sure I didn’t cause them due to how impossible they were to remove, but when the owner showed up for the car they stuck out like a sore thumb and I’m certain he saw them.

Eldorado2k
06-17-2020, 01:11 PM
I try to use distilled water when mixing my detailing chemicals, but in a pinch I sometimes use the purified drinking water or even tap water if it’s APC or Wheel & Tire cleaner...

But when mixing up something a bit more expensive i.e. Hyper Dressing @1:1 I make sure to use distilled water. I pay too much for it not to get the best possible mix.[emoji6]

dwaleke
06-17-2020, 01:26 PM
What are you defining as purified water? Distilled water is water purified by the process of distillation.

Water purified by reverse osmosis often removes 99.x percent of TDS. While technically distilled water can be better the diff is almost non-existent between RO and distilled water.

If you are not using RO or distillation for water purification I would not call it purified water (but some water bottling companies might).

I would not hesitate diluting my chemicals with RO water. It's at the sink and cheaper than buying distilled water.

BTW: Pretty sure Tunch Goren of 3D mentioned they use reverse osmosis water for blending their products. Coca-Cola does as well.

TrustJesus
06-17-2020, 05:37 PM
Purified water, the one you refill your 5 gallons at the machine outside a big store?

PaulMys
06-17-2020, 05:44 PM
At around a buck a gallon, I do not find distilled water to be a wallet-buster for me.

But, I am just a hobbyist.

I have used RO water in the past, and to be honest I have not noticed any negative effects. Even with storage.

dwaleke
06-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Purified water, the one you refill your 5 gallons at the machine outside a big store?That's probably just tap water run through a carbon filter. It will filter some things out of the water but will leave most of the TDS.

I would ask them at the store what process they are using. Expect to get back a blank stare. Most people have no interest in understanding water filtration.