PDA

View Full Version : Prewash/Tires/Wash/Dry/ceramic wax: How long to complete?

TrustJesus
06-16-2020, 01:04 PM
I ask for opinions, I want to learn the right way. To do a proper car wash/detail what is respectable amount to take? How long do you take? I feel if you rush, you going end of scraping stuff and doing it wrong. In other words can you work fast and not scratch paint, if that makes sense? I’m asking because I take long, obvious I don’t want scratches. I feel like I’m doing it right but I take way too long.

BurnsDetailing
06-16-2020, 01:26 PM
Organization is key, my guys load up their cart with everything they need, towels, iron remover, wheel cleaning brushes, wash buckets, foam cannon, etc. That way there is very little running back and forth.

For prewash, on-car wheel/tire cleaning, wash, dry, spray wax/sealer, 1.5 hours.

TrustJesus
06-16-2020, 01:50 PM
Sounds good, I”ll start with that. Anyone else, I’m interesting knowing. Also do you scratch paint if you rushing? Especially my wheels there painted with clear coat, I already see minor scratches, I’m afraid if I rush I’ll create more.

Also let’s say one man doing the work?

dwaleke
06-16-2020, 04:28 PM
There is rushing and then there is cutting corners. Temporary rushing is often ok. Cutting corners to get the job done sooner will likely hurt your business in the long run (if not the short run).

But who wants to "rush" all the time? That's not sustainable and likely leads to burn-out and that leads to mistakes.

TrustJesus
06-16-2020, 04:32 PM
That’s what I’m struggling with, I want to do all that faster but not scratch paint, which is why I’m asking you all. So what is the “right time to finish a full detail”?

ducksfan
06-16-2020, 05:52 PM
I don't think there is a right time. The more experienced you get; the more educated you get; the better shape you get physically (Regarding the muscles you use to do the job in addition to stamina) the quicker and increased quality you'll develop.

So the amount of time a task should take kind of depends on where you are on the spectrum.

PaulMys
06-17-2020, 05:57 PM
The more you learn the process (the one that works for you), the quicker you will get.

Also, what are you detailing? A smaller car? SUV? Full-sized truck?

I have a full-sized Ram, and keep it as pristine as possible for a DD (Daily Driver). I can (after years of doing it), clay/machine correct in approximately 4-5 hours.

On the other hand, my wife has a 2-door Jeep Wrangler. With all of the tight areas, and switching over to my 3" machine quite a bit, the Jeep can take just as long.

You question is a "Kind of depends" thing.......... ;)

Bruno Soares
06-17-2020, 07:14 PM
Weekly washes take me about 2 hours.

Full detail? Multiple days.

Jayfro
06-17-2020, 07:39 PM
Weekly washes take me about 2 hours.

Full detail? Multiple days.

You must be OCD....oh wait, never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

TrustJesus
06-18-2020, 01:48 AM
Paul my wife has a 2018 Durango GT, with blacktop rims. I take usually like 4-5 hours to do whole car.

Bruno Soares
06-18-2020, 06:16 AM
You must be OCD....oh wait, never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
Sure am. If I decide to get something done I’m doing it as well as I can. No shortcuts, no half a**.

WillSports3
06-18-2020, 08:48 AM
I'm on the same page as BSoares. A wash takes me between two to three. But when I wash the car, i do a full clean of the interior as well. I vacuum, steam clean and apply protectant to the interior. Then I do wheels, apply tire dressing if needed. Then I wash. I dont really apply paint protection because of coated vehicles. I might use overcoat or graphene detailer as a drying aid then clean all interior and exterior windows. Fastest part is the actual car wash.