PDA

View Full Version : Guys I need some help and insight regarding polishing with Meguiar’s Scratch X 2.0

TheZ06andFoxbody
06-13-2020, 04:31 PM
So I have a 1991 Mustang that has original paint. Today while washing it I noticed some micro scratches, so I took some Meguar’s Scratch X 2.0 and polished them out by hand with a microfiber. It worked great but it also took the paint from looking like it had tons of layers of water spots and fading, to being so much brighter, shiny, smooth, etc. My intention was just to polish out the scratches, but it seems this went a step too far. I ended up doing the whole test panel to make it uniform, and the paint looks so much brighter and just much better overall. It also left a little red paint on the applicator, so unless it burned straight through the clear, I guess that means I have single stage paint?

My questions are:

Did I ruin anything? I’ve only done one panel and half of another and I’m afraid to do anything else. What should I do now? Will a paint correction fix this? How should I proceed?

WillSports3
06-13-2020, 04:52 PM
Basically you cleaned up one panel of the car and it looks much better than the other parts of you car. Your car just might be single stage. Solution, try using a cleaner wax and working it into another panel. Or might be time to get a polisher and do the rest of your car.

TheZ06andFoxbody
06-13-2020, 06:01 PM
Basically you cleaned up one panel of the car and it looks much better than the other parts of you car. Your car just might be single stage. Solution, try using a cleaner wax and working it into another panel. Or might be time to get a polisher and do the rest of your car.

I appreciate the response. I plan on doing a professional paint correction soon. Any way this would interfere with that?

PaulMys
06-13-2020, 06:07 PM
I appreciate the response. I plan on doing a professional paint correction soon. Any way this would interfere with that?

Are you doing the correction yourself?

TheZ06andFoxbody
06-13-2020, 06:11 PM
Are you doing the correction yourself?

Nope, I am having it done professionally by a local guy who has 30 years experience.

PaulMys
06-13-2020, 06:14 PM
Nope, I am having it done professionally by a local guy who has 30 years experience.

Ok.

Using the Megs will have no negative effects on what he is going to do.