PDA

View Full Version : How strong is Carpro tar x? Damaged headlight coating

TheMidnightNarwhal
06-12-2020, 12:39 PM
I had 1 step restored my headlights a while back and "sealed" it back with some Meguiar's headlight coating. (https://i.imgur.com/Q1Suiug.png)

Yesterday had loads of bugs on the car when I washed it so sprayed Car Pro Tar X and let sit about 2-3 minutes all on the front bumper and headlights and this seemed to have happened because of it. I did wipe over it with car soap and a wash mitt and rinse off. It made stained lines or in fact it seems like where there are lines there is no more protective coating.

https://i.imgur.com/SKX9iBj.jpg

Now I'm just looking at having a discussion, is Tar X that strong or is the coating that is weak?
I'm going to redo the headlights by wetsanding again since I still have some coating but if this is always going to happen to me when I want to clean bugs it's gonna be a problem eh. I was thinking of getting CarPro Bug out instead but how different is that product? Is it less harsh?

Bruno Soares
06-12-2020, 01:23 PM
First time I hear someone using Tar X to remove bugs. They have Bug-Out for that purpose, I think much less intense than Tar-X. I think there's a warning to avoid plastics with Tar-X on the bottle, I can't remember for sure.
I do think it's strong enough and that the protection you had there was weak. How long ago did you restore/protect the headlights?
Hopefully you can clean that up with just polishing the headlights again and then protecting. See if you can get them protected with PPF, would last much longer.

TheMidnightNarwhal
06-12-2020, 01:32 PM
First time I hear someone using Tar X to remove bugs. They have Bug-Out for that purpose, I think much less intense than Tar-X. I think there's a warning to avoid plastics with Tar-X on the bottle, I can't remember for sure.
I do think it's strong enough and that the protection you had there was weak. How long ago did you restore/protect the headlights?
Hopefully you can clean that up with just polishing the headlights again and then protecting. See if you can get them protected with PPF, would last much longer.

Yep someone just pointed out to me Tar X has a plastic use warning... I hope now then the problem isn't worse than I thought. Will wetsand this weekend and see how it turns out I want them to look more like new. Will get bug out to.

I believe I had used the kit around in march.

When I bought it originally I couldn't get my hand on bug out and thought Tar X was more of like a older version of their bug removing product. Guess not.