PDA

View Full Version : Umm... opinions on everything please

Whalerfreak
06-08-2020, 07:19 PM
So... I really want to get serious with detailing. I still need a bunch of stuff though and want to put my money where it counts. I’ll try to ask say 5 questions a week... so here goes.

Steam cleaner
What is the best overall steam cleaner for my money?

Ozone generator
You tell me.

Pads
What is the best overall brand of pads? Like for everything from wax to polish

Clay
What is the best overall brand? My use will probably need harsher stuff mostly.

Clay Lube
Should I just buy it or should I venture to make my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

PaulMys
06-08-2020, 07:36 PM
Hey there, man.

First, let me help you help yourself....

This post will not get all of the best replies. Why? Because few will ever take the time to answer your many inquiries in one answer.

I know the feeling of wanting to learn EVERYTHING. I was there once too. Lol

Try breaking down your questions to one or two products at a time, and you'll get more replies.

I promise. :)

WillSports3
06-08-2020, 07:55 PM
Steam cleaner
What is the best overall steam cleaner for my money? Probably an industrial strength one, you're looking at some around at least 2k

Ozone generator
You tell me. I don't really do interiors that are that bad

Pads
What is the best overall brand of pads for polishing and waxing. I use a long throw polisher so I'll use anything made by Lake Country or Buff & Shine made for Long throw. You wanna get crazy, stock literally only Scholl Concept spider pads. Polisher dependant.

Brushes
I need brushes for everything what should I get? A lot of brushes. Brushes for wheels, interior, crevices, brushes for tires and general scrubbing tires. Also get a brush pad that goes on a polisher for tires.

Towels
What all towels do I need? what of microfiber? What about chamois and other things like that? Everything. You need a lot of drying towels and a lot of general use towels, dedicated wheel/tire ones, interior ones that you can cheap out on kind of, as well as just good quality microfibre.

Applicator pads
What do I need for applicator pads Pick the one with the colour you like the most.

Wax
Very broad I know but what do I spend my money on. I don't use wax, I pretty much only use coatings. I wax my dads car but thats because he washes his RAV4 with a mop. Not a joke. For my Dads car I have a reserved bottle of McKee High-Def paint sealant. Reason I use it? It smells nice. It's gonna be washed by a mop, so I might as well just make the experience enjoyable for myself.

Polish
What kind of polishes do I need? Sonax Cutmax, Sonax Cut and Finish, Sonax Perfect finish. Lot of other choices, this is just mine.

Soap
What soaps do I need? I use Reset. Great for coatings, can strip some wax and sealants.

Dressings
What about dressings? For tires, trim, and everything else that needs it SiO2 coating. I use Gyeon. For trim, I just use whatever coating I'm using at the time.

Interior cleaners
What interior cleaners do I need. You need a good solid APC. CarPro MultiX. Then you need something for the interior, a more gentle cleaner. CarPro Inside or Gyeon Leather Cleaner.

Iron decon
What do I invest in? They all work about the same so whichever packaging you like the most.

Glass cleaner
What should I use? CarPro Clarify is life changing.

Wheel cleaner
What’s the best? APC and iron dissolver.

Tire cleaner
Same question. I like Gyeon Tire. Expensive though, but works great to me. Also invest in mineral spirits. Wipe a tire down with some mineral spirits on a rag first, thank me later.

Degreaser
You know by now. CarPro Multi-X

Clay
What is the best overall brand? My use will probably need harsher stuff mostly. Pick a reputable brand, then pick your favourite colour.

Clay Lube
Should I just buy it or should I venture to make my own. Don't be a chemical guy.

And last but not least...

Waterless wash
What is the best waterless wash? I like McKee 37s Rinseless wash, leaves nothing behind. Also Ultima Waterless Wash is pretty top notch. If you get a full three stage correction then maybe Pinnacle Black Label Waterless Wash.

To be quite frank, This is what I use and I deal with pretty much only coated cars. If you're doing production detail... don't buy any of the stuff I mentioned. It's not worth the price for you if you're doing production detail. But if you have the customer base where you're removing carbon fiber spoilers and bits and pieces off your customers car to put aside and polish individually before re-assembling and hand applying a 5000 dollar SwissVax carnauba wax so your customer can trailer a car to a car show with a winning prize of $100, 000, then maybe look into some of the stuff I'm talking about. I do cars mostly on the side, and it's not my livelihood so I pick and choose. I mostly take on really beat up daily drivers so I can get paid a bit of cash to experiment products on.

WillSports3
06-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Hey there, man.

First, let me help you help yourself....

This post will not get all of the best replies. Why? Because few will ever take the time to answer your many inquiries in one answer.

I know the feeling of wanting to learn EVERYTHING. I was there once too. Lol

Try breaking down your questions to one or two products at a time, and you'll get more replies.

I promise. :)

Sorry had to prove you wrong Paul.

Whalerfreak
06-08-2020, 08:13 PM
So... I really want to get serious with detailing. I still need a bunch of stuff though and want to put my money where it counts. I’ll try to ask say 5 questions a week... so here goes.

Steam cleaner

Ozone generator
You tell me.

Pads

Clay

Clay Lube

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Here’s the improved version

spazzz
06-08-2020, 08:43 PM
Here’s the improved version

I use the multiple mitt method of washing. When I clay before polishing I save a mitt to slop soap water ahead of my claying work area.
I like this better than any clay lube I have used so far. After you are done just rinse.

Lake Country pads cover the gamut.

Epilogts
06-08-2020, 08:45 PM
I’m mostly a lurker here but have been compiling lists about what many around here have recommended or have had exceptional experience with.

We’ll see how I do...

So... I really want to get serious with detailing. I still need a bunch of stuff though and want to put my money where it counts so that being said IÂ’ll launch in.
Pads
What is the best overall brand of pads for polishing and waxing
Brand:
Lake County
Rupes,
Scholl

Brushes
I need brushes for everything what should I get?
Detail Factory,
Race Glaze,
takaVu,
Speedmaster

Towels
What all towels do I need? what of microfiber? What about chamois and other things like that?
Ha Ha Ha... so many... all for different usages
Cobra
The Rag Company
Griots

Wax
Very broad I know but what do I spend my money on.
How much money you got?
-Waxes
Wolfgang Fuzion
Dodo juice blue velvet pro hard wax
Fusso Soft 99
Collinite 476s

-Sealants
Wolfgangs DGPS 3.0 or SiO2 sealant
Jescar powerlock

Soap
What soaps do I need?
-Non coated
Duragloss 903
Wolfgangs Uber Si02

Optimum No Rinse (ONR)

-coated
Carpro Reset
Angelwax Enigma
Gyeon Bathe+

Dressings
What about dressings? For tires, trim, and everything else that needs it
Ultima Tire and Trim (UTTG)

Interior cleaners
What interior cleaners do I need.
P&S Xpress(cleaner does not protect)

Protectant
Wolfgang Trim Sealant
Ultima Tire and Trim (UTTG)

Iron decon
What do I invest in?
IronX

Glass cleaner
What should I use?
AutoGlym Fast Glass
Meguires D120

Wheel cleaner
What’s the best?
P&S Brake Buster
Duragloss 821
Meguiar’s non-acid wheel cleaner

Tire cleaner
Same question.
Blackfire Tire and Wheel cleaner
Ultima TTGP

Degreaser
You know by now.
Optimum Power Clean

Clay
Ha, Ha... lots of opinions
Clay Magic
Pinnacle
Adams

Clay Lube
Optimum No Rinse

And last but not least...

Waterless wash
What is the best waterless wash?
Optimum No Rinse (ONR)

Vanquish Auto
06-10-2020, 08:41 AM
This is kind of a loaded question. If everyone on this forum answered. You will more than likely get a different answer from each member. The best for me may not necessarily be the best to everyone else. Try different products and see what fits you best.

The steamer really depends on your budget. You have options in the range of $100 - $15k.

Pads: Lake Country would be a good starting point.

Clay: I would recommend a good clay mitt

Clay lube: you really have no need for a dedicated clay lube. ONR makes for a great clay lube and has other uses.
Good luck to you

Mike Phillips
06-10-2020, 08:56 AM

Steam cleaner

If it were me I would get the Vapor Chief Refill 100 Steam Cleaner.

Review and how-to: Vapor Chief Steam Cleaners by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/111054-review-how-vapor-chief-steam-cleaners-mike-phillips.html)

Ozone generator
You tell me.

Autogeek.com at this time does not carry ozone machines. My guess is, when it comes to this technology, you get what you pay for.

Pads

Lake Country
Buff & Shine
RUPES
Griot's

It's kind of hard to tell you what brand of pad to get if you don't also let us know what polisher you have?:

Clay

Speed Master Clay Towel with a CAVEAT - I don't use clay or clay substitutes on anyone's car unless I'm ALREADY planning on doing at least one machine polishing step.

Review: Speed Master Clay Towel and Clay Mitt (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/124699-review-speed-master-clay-towel-clay-mitt.html)

Clay Lube

I normally use SONAX Glass Cleaner.

:)

dcjredline
06-10-2020, 12:51 PM
Problem with your question is that "the best" means different things to different people. There also is really no universally one best of anything. Some have good luck with a certain product and others have no luck with it. Id say just start reading through the forums. Pick a couple brands and buy the small bottles of the products and try them out...then buy the bigger bottles when you find one you like best. Wish I could give you a one size fits all list man. Good luck

Whalerfreak
06-10-2020, 04:56 PM
Maybe I should reword and say “ what do you use” ?

Mike Hoekstra
06-10-2020, 06:46 PM
Steam cleaner
Duprey makes a nice one for about $600 that I have looked at, and the price goes up with features/tools.

Ozone generator
I own this one - OdorFree Autel 1000 Ozone Generator. I have used it to remove cigarette smoke smell out of our neighbor's pickup after they bought it used. I've also used it in our house to fix a closet that our cats terrorized. There are tons of machines out there, but I bought this one for the reviews and the company backing the product.
Robot Check (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01635K1AO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Pads
I use/prefer Lake Country Hydro Tech pads. However, it comes down to knowing what products you buy, and how to use them. My friend uses Rupes pads with Rupes products on his Rupes polisher and gets the same results. All about knowing what your products will do with your preferred methods and products.

Clay
No preference. Clay is clay IMHO. I have used Chem Guys, Mothers, and another prestige brand of some kind. I have yellow, gray and black in my kit.

Clay Lube
Clay lube is clay lube. I've also used a quick detailer, a Sonax clay disc with window cleaner, and just clayed while the car is lubed with soap during the wash.

Sharply Dressed
06-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Regarding the steamer, Mike P pointed out Vapor Chief. I had 2 McCullough steamers and they work but don’t last long. I’m part time and didn’t want to spend a lot but wanted quality. I bought the Vapor Chief mini. The attachments fit the other Vapor Chief units in case I want to upgrade. I also think Vapor Chief will give you a price break if you upgrade later. Buy quality and smart the first time.