PDA

View Full Version : Rust like stain on hood of car

Hampton99
06-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Hello,

New here and looking for some advice on the brown/orange like stain on the hood of my car. The stain is smooth I can't feel it at all. The paint is not cracked or bubbling. The car is a 2018 Mazda CPO that i just purchased last month. I missed this in my inspection pre-purchase. I just noticed it yesterday while washing and detailing the car.

I am trying to figure out what the hell this is. Washing did not remove it, as I said it is smooth like the rest of the paint. It is very smooth, tried to get it out with a clay bar and also some rubbing compound.

Not sure what to do here, it seems the stain is embedded in the paint, but the paint itself is not cracked or pitted and is super smooth like the rest of the paint in the area.

Can someone please give me some ideas on what to do. The spot is small enough where I would not want to get the hood repainted.

Link to photo below

Shared album - El Greco - Google Photos (https://photos.app.goo.gl/n4c5pCzH2CKMbu5NA)

Thanks

spazzz
06-01-2020, 08:33 PM
Did it improve a little when you tried the clay and compound?
You might need a heavier clay and a couple/few more passes.

Almost looks like someone could have flicked a lit cigarette and landed on the hood.
In that case it is wet sanding time.

Hampton99
06-01-2020, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. It did not improve at all with the clay bar. As I said the stained area is super smooth like the rest of the paint. I was thinking possibly a cigarette like you said. I am stumped. Not sure what the heck this could be though