PDA

View Full Version : 303 aerospace protectant stained the plastic in my vehicle. How to fix?

Pages : [1] 2

sqenixs
05-27-2020, 07:15 PM
So I have black plastic inside my vehicle and on one of the panels I used 303 aerospace and it seems to have stained the panel/absorbed into the plastic. Is there any way to fix this? I have noticed that if I put more 303 on it temporarily masks the stain but it soon (a few hours to days later) evaporates and then I can see the stain again.

PaulMys
05-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Any pics?

Is this plastic in the interior new? Old or faded?

57Rambler
05-27-2020, 07:38 PM
Well, I have found that black interior trim is the most difficult to "dress" with any kind of protectant/sealant. I had problems with the Wolfgang Cockpit Trim sealant on black after using it successfully on a tan interior. It especially shows streaking/hazing if you put too much on. You should be able to remove the 303 Aero with something like 303 Multi-Surface cleaner or any other good APC.

sqenixs
05-27-2020, 09:40 PM
Any pics?

Is this plastic in the interior new? Old or faded?

About 2.5 years old

Some other people I have talked with believe it wasn't the 303 that did it and instead was a defect in the plastic from manufacture, called blooming where the release agent causes a staining of the plastic. I'm not sure either way.

briarpatch
05-28-2020, 07:11 AM
I've not heard the terms 'blooming' and 'release agent' associated with plastic trim before......only with tires. Just out of curiosity, what did you clean those areas with prior to applying the 303?

Bruno Soares
05-28-2020, 07:29 AM
About 2.5 years old

Some other people I have talked with believe it wasn't the 303 that did it and instead was a defect in the plastic from manufacture, called blooming where the release agent causes a staining of the plastic. I'm not sure either way.

Looks like you got the camouflage option when you bought the car. Just kidding :)

That really is strange, I wouldn't say 303 caused it, maybe it was there and when you cleaned it showed up? Since it's black textured plastic you could try Solution Finish to see if it can dye everything to an uniform finish.

PA DETAILER
05-28-2020, 09:10 AM
Just a thought looking at the pictures. Rear hatch correct? Is that where WATER could collect or possible leak?

briarpatch
05-28-2020, 10:05 AM
Looking at the stain....it's so random that it looks like it could be a water stain. Not doubting your hypothesis, but rather than Solution Finish, which is a dye, I might be inclined to pull those pieces out and paint them. Painting interior trim is not rocket science, and might provide you with a longer lasting answer to your problem.

sqenixs
05-28-2020, 10:42 AM
I can't pull them out, they are a composite piece. My vehicle is under warranty and I went to the dealer about it and they said that the entire rear hatch needs to be replaced because it is a single "part" you cannot buy just the plastic separately or replace it separately. They also denied my warranty claim since they believe it was due to something being put on the plastic. All I put on it was the 303 I never did anything else to it, and I don't know for sure if the 303 caused the problem. If you look carefully you will notice that the pattern is a mirror image left vs. right side. I find that particularly interesting.

Mike Phillips
05-28-2020, 10:53 AM
Here's one of the pictures,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-101-a/69726d1590633593-303-aerospace-protectant-stained-plastic-my-vehicle-how-fix-img_7968-jpg

I haven't got a clue as to why this plastic would show stained or altered like it does?

:dunno:

briarpatch
05-28-2020, 12:00 PM
what kind of car is this? what year?

The Guz
05-28-2020, 12:01 PM
I can't pull them out, they are a composite piece. My vehicle is under warranty and I went to the dealer about it and they said that the entire rear hatch needs to be replaced because it is a single "part" you cannot buy just the plastic separately or replace it separately. They also denied my warranty claim since they believe it was due to something being put on the plastic. All I put on it was the 303 I never did anything else to it, and I don't know for sure if the 303 caused the problem. If you look carefully you will notice that the pattern is a mirror image left vs. right side. I find that particularly interesting.

What model vehicle is this? Could you also include a full image of the interior hatch?

Bruno Soares
05-28-2020, 12:38 PM
How can the images be mostly a mirror if it was something you did to it? That dealer is full of crap.

With it being a single piece like you say I think that makes it even more likely that there's a leak somewhere and the pattern you see is due how each side is glued in similar ways. Maybe try another dealer? Don't mention trying to fix it or dress the plastic.

sqenixs
05-28-2020, 04:17 PM
How can the images be mostly a mirror if it was something you did to it? That dealer is full of crap.

With it being a single piece like you say I think that makes it even more likely that there's a leak somewhere and the pattern you see is due how each side is glued in similar ways. Maybe try another dealer? Don't mention trying to fix it or dress the plastic.

2019 Jeep Cherokee. I don't trust the dealers to replace my entire rear tailgate since they said they have to repaint the new panel and transfer the glass, wiring, etc. The part alone is $1200. They did say that I can take it up with Chrysler customer service if I want to push the issue. It wasn't the dealer that denied my warranty claim, it was Chrysler. To make things more interesting, my vehicle was actually an executive demo/press car owned by Chrysler prior to being sold at auction to a dealer that I purchased from.

It seems like a different type of plastic/composite than the other trim panels, it is very hard.

PaulMys
05-28-2020, 04:26 PM
....I went to the dealer about it and they said that the entire rear hatch needs to be replaced because it is a single "part" you cannot buy just the plastic separately or replace it separately. the pattern is a mirror

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. That dealer is full of crap. The gate is made from separate parts, and it certainly was not stamped as one piece containing glass, rubber, plastic, and wiring. If it was assembled, it can be disassembled.

By their logic, if your rear wiper motor or taillight went bad, they would have to replace the entire gate?? BS.

Find another dealer that doesn't lie to the customers.