Porsche (1998 onwards)

Renault

Rolls Royce

Saab

Seat

Skoda

Subaru (2001 onwards)

Volvo

*i tried to post it on an already open sticky thread but couldnt make it as i wanted to, so i created this new thread
**this guide is generic and is about only factory paint

ZackJones
09-14-2020, 04:04 AM
Thank you very much, very convenient selection!

Mike Phillips
09-14-2020, 05:57 AM
Thank you Reno for putting this chart together.

This is a good starting point for people new to machine polishing, or hand polishing.

Besides taking the different manufacturer's in the different categories, because paint can and do change as technology changes, we all still need to do a Test Spot for a final determination on paint hardness or paint softness plus to dial-in a process for the car in front of us.

:dblthumb2:

Desertnate
09-14-2020, 07:29 AM
This is a handy chart. The only place I disagree with you is on a Porsche Cayanne. Not sure if it is because the vehicle rolls out of the same VW plant as the Tuareg and the Audi Q7, but the black metallic paint is harder than anything I've ever worked...to include a black metallic VW GTI I owned recently.

Not sure if it is due to the SUV's possibly being built in the same plants as other VAG vehicles whereas the cars are built in their own plant(s).

Bruno Soares
09-14-2020, 09:27 AM
This is a handy chart. The only place I disagree with you is on a Porsche Cayanne. Not sure if it is because the vehicle rolls out of the same VW plant as the Tuareg and the Audi Q7, but the black metallic paint is harder than anything I've ever worked...to include a black metallic VW GTI I owned recently.

Not sure if it is due to the SUV's possibly being built in the same plants as other VAG vehicles whereas the cars are built in their own plant(s).

I've heard the solid black is soft and the metallic black is hard. I can only say that the Jet Black Metallic on my brother's Macan is pretty hard.

DUBL0WS6
09-14-2020, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure if this is totally accurate but I was told that GM rotates paint suppliers throughout the year. So the manufacturer of the base and clear can be different quarter to quarter. I'm not sure if that's the case with other manufacturers or not.

Desertnate
09-14-2020, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure of paint suppliers being different, but I've also heard the paint can differ within a brand based on the country where it was built. The paint used by BMW in their South African plant might be different what is used in the plant in South Carolina and different yet again from any of their European plants. No way of knowing for sure though...

Globalization of the industry and factoring in third party assemblers like Magna Steyr make it complicated...thus the wisdom of the test spot.

Sizzle Chest
09-14-2020, 08:10 PM
Thank you for taking the time to put this chart together and post it up!

57Rambler
09-14-2020, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure if this is totally accurate but I was told that GM rotates paint suppliers throughout the year. So the manufacturer of the base and clear can be different quarter to quarter.

GM uses PPG or Axalta (formerly DuPont). Sourcing is handled by the assembly plant itself. While a supplier might not be given the contract for the entire life of a vehicle, there typically is not a lot of frequent changing as paints are often formulated for the plant's specific type of paint system .

DUBL0WS6
09-14-2020, 10:37 PM
The person who told me this mentioned PPG and Axalta as GM suppliers.

Reno
09-16-2020, 08:08 AM
thanks guys for your response.glad that i've helped. for sure it is generic but can give you a guide from where to start and how to test. as mike said. always test. this is a MUST :dblthumb2:

PaulMys
09-16-2020, 09:01 PM
There was no mention of Ram in the chart, but I did see Jeep. My wife has a Wrangler.

I can attest to Ram clear falling into the "intermediate" category as well.

luckydawg
11-18-2020, 07:18 PM
what about Chevys?