PDA

View Full Version : Using a drill to polish tight spots

HAMBO
05-20-2020, 04:40 PM
Hello AG,

I'd like to polish a few tight / small spots on my car that will be a bit hard to get to with my normal DA polisher. I have seen some attachments for using a handheld cordless drill as a polisher, and I was wondering whether that might do the trick without spending money on a whole new smaller polisher.

Anyone have any luck doing that and have any tips or recommended drill adapters? Also I'm very much a novice with a polisher so have always been comforted by the random wobbles of my DA so as to avoid damaging the paint. Would using a drill to polish be more dangerous given it wouldn't have that benefit?

Thanks!

HAMBO

Rsurfer
05-20-2020, 05:37 PM
If your drill has variable settings you should be ok.

PaulMys
05-20-2020, 06:03 PM
Just use a little common sense, and you should be ok.

But remember, the drill has zero random orbital ability, and the farther away the small(ish) pad is from the drill (like with an extension) the more unstable it can become.

Coatingsarecrack
05-20-2020, 09:11 PM
If you have a dremel their are a ton of attachments for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustJesus
05-21-2020, 02:30 PM
Meguiars has a DA kit for a drill. They recommend using a corded drill, but I have had success using it on a Dewalt 20v cordless.

The attachment uses 3" pads (or 3.5?) And is random orbit.

Cost wise, I think they are under 40$

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
05-21-2020, 05:52 PM
Meguiars has a DA kit for a drill. They recommend using a corded drill, but I have had success using it on a Dewalt 20v cordless.

I actually bought one of these for spot duty. 4" pads are not great for reaching into tight areas, but the unit is solid and does a better job on a small, flat area that can be done by hand IMO.

HAMBO
05-21-2020, 06:48 PM

Thanks! I will check it out.

JustJesus
05-21-2020, 07:14 PM
I actually bought one of these for spot duty. 4" pads are not great for reaching into tight areas, but the unit is solid and does a better job on a small, flat area that can be done by hand IMO.Agreed. Not the best for tight areas. That's when I use the GG3, or go by hand. No nano type polishes yet. Oh, duh. Or PE8 with 1" pad of I can fit it.

JustJesus
05-21-2020, 07:18 PM
Thanks! I will check it out.I have video on YT if you search for DA Power System. On scratched up 4Runner.

Lousy video, but you will get an idea how to use it, how big it is, etc.