PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Coatings - Worth it?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Thomkirby
05-19-2020, 03:48 PM
I had to get a tire repaired due to a slow leak this week. That required a visit to the tire dealer for the free flat fix. I asked them to show me the wheel once it was off the truck.

I coated these wheels back in July 2018 with Carpro DLUX. This was a full wheels off process and in Texas heat the process was a tiring and lot of effort having to use a loaned jack and stands.

The tire both front and back from 2018 after the coating.

Now look at the back of the wheel that has been never off but washed during normal service. Truck as not been washed in over 3-weeks or more for the wheels.

Now this shows how well the coating help to keep it clean. No water beading shots, wanted to share how coating does help the process. And this is after about 28,000 miles between the coating and now.

Normally, I will use the wash soap during each wash on the wheel faces. About every third wash, I drag out the wheel brushes to clean the barrels. I use only soap or have been using P&S Brake Buster (3:1) as the cleaning agent.

I am pleased with the performance of the coating in helping to keep the tires easy to clean and helping to shed the daily brake dust.

Will I recommend DLUX, yes. But like any DIY Detailier, I might try another brand this summer when ready to do a full wheels off process. I have to wait for extra time, as it takes about 1-hour per wheel. Might try the new PBL Tire Coating for the tires then!

Rsurfer
05-19-2020, 03:53 PM
Thom nice review, but you answered your own title question.

Dan K
05-19-2020, 03:57 PM
I applied leftover Opti-coat 2.0 to the faces and barrels of my ram 2 years ago and they still look like new with regular cleanings using wheel woolies to reach the barrels. I will definitely be using a coating on all new or in good condition wheels in the future.

Jayfro
05-19-2020, 04:07 PM
Wheels look great!

I just did mine this past weekend with wheel wax from DP, this was my first time with wheels off so I wasnt sure what I was getting into.

The next time I will use a coating but I’ll have to get the proper pads, tools,etc to do it correctly.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Rsurfer
05-19-2020, 04:15 PM
Wheels look great!

I just did mine this past weekend with wheel wax from DP, this was my first time with wheels off so I wasnt sure what I was getting into.

The next time I will use a coating but I’ll have to get the proper pads, tools,etc to do it correctly.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

DP Wheel Wax is better than nothing, but a wheel coating (Dlux) will give lasting protection and ease of cleaning.

TTQ B4U
05-19-2020, 05:00 PM
Yes. Use GYEON Q2 RIM and you'll love it.

Prep them well.

Klasse Act
05-19-2020, 06:10 PM
Wheel coatings are great, no doubt about it but maybe, after their coated and it's about 2 months time, apply something like 303 Touchless sealant to them as a booster. I'm sure the wheel coating is tough but on something that gets the abuse of rims, it doesn't hurt to have a little extra, you know what I mean[emoji362][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

briarpatch
05-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Thank you for the review......got some Dlux just waiting to be used....looks like it won't have to wait much longer

Eldorado2k
05-19-2020, 07:16 PM
That’s impressive.

The Guz
05-19-2020, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback. DLUX is a very good wheel coating. Compared to some others it just performs so well. It actually outperforms Gyeon Rim and Gtechniq C5 in my experience.

Wheel coatings are great, no doubt about it but maybe, after their coated and it's about 2 months time, apply something like 303 Touchless sealant to them as a booster. I'm sure the wheel coating is tough but on something that gets the abuse of rims, it doesn't hurt to have a little extra, you know what I mean[emoji362][emoji848]

Only issue I have seen with these type of spray and rinse on wheels is the decrease in self cleaning. They actually seem to attract more dirt than just a coated wheel. A coating maintenance spray sealant works better.

Klasse Act
05-19-2020, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback. DLUX is a very good wheel coating. Compared to some others it just performs so well. It actually outperforms Gyeon Rim and Gtechniq C5 in my experience.

Only issue I have seen with these type of spray and rinse on wheels is the decrease in self cleaning. They actually seem to attract more dirt than just a coated wheel. A coating maintenance spray sealant works better.Can you give us a couple examples[emoji848][emoji6]

The Guz
05-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Can you give us a couple examples[emoji848][emoji6]

Next time you coat your wheels with a wheel coating, leave it untouched. Then use your spray and rinse sealant on the other and you will see exactly what I mean. That’s the only way I can describe it.

I don’t bother using them on my wheels for that exact reason.

Desertnate
05-20-2020, 07:48 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and say any coating will work, you don't have to use one supposedly designed just for wheels.

I've now coated two sets of wheels using the non-UK version of CQuartz. The first was the summer wheel on my previous car and the current application is on the winter wheels for my current car. Based on my experience with these applications on a daily driver, the summer wheel application easily lasted two seasons and was going into it's third. This included washing every week or two with a mild wheel cleaner and experienced at least a couple Autocross days. The winter wheels held up nicely through quite a bit of snow/salt/winter crud and only being washed 2~3 times all season due to weather. This was their first season and the coating shows no signs of degradation.

The coating makes them really easy to clean and the only reason I still use a wheel cleaner is both cars are German with performance brake pads. Those things dust like crazy and a wheel cleaner tends to break down the brake dust a little better than regular soap and makes the cleaning process very easy.

TMQ
11-26-2021, 07:35 AM
Hi everyone..

I have 2 hellcats and 1 scat pack rims coming my way soon.

All 12 rims are matt black!!!

Can I use Dlux on those rims w/o making them shiny?

Mr Tommy

TTQ B4U
11-26-2021, 07:39 AM
Hi everyone..

I have 2 hellcats and 1 scat pack rims coming my way soon.

All 12 rims are matt black!!!

Can I use Dlux on those rims w/o making them shiny?

Mr Tommy

I prefer GYEON Q2 RIM but that's just me. Will darken them and give them a satin finish.

https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/171601657/original.jpg