PDA

View Full Version : Best AIO To Remove Etching From Bird Poop On A Metallic Black Car

Pages : [1] 2

Darren F
05-16-2020, 02:16 PM
Had a big blast of Bird poop right in the middle of the hood of my Metallic Black Ford. What would be the BEST AIO to remove the etching?

Hand and by PC

PaulMys
05-16-2020, 05:53 PM
Had a big blast of Bird poop right in the middle of the hood of my Metallic Black Ford. What would be the BEST AIO to remove the etching?

Hand and by PC

The bird poop was on there long enough to etch?

If so, I would think just about any AIO or straight up polish would be a good starting point.

And, if you have a PC, I would definitely use it over hand application.

57Rambler
05-16-2020, 06:13 PM

Probably should also reassess whatever LSP you were using ...

Darren F
05-16-2020, 06:50 PM
Probably should also reassess whatever LSP you were using ...
Is there really a LSP that can prevent the etching from bird poop?

Darren F
05-16-2020, 06:51 PM

If so, I would think just about any AIO or straight up polish would be a good starting point.

And, if you have a PC, I would definitely use it over hand application.

The poop was only there for maybe 2 or 3 hours

PaulMys
05-16-2020, 06:59 PM
The poop was only there for maybe 2 or 3 hours

If you had any kind reputable LSP on the car, then I would think that the bird bomb did no damage. (Etching)

Darren F
05-16-2020, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=PaulMys;1675870]If you had any kind reputable LSP on the car, then I would think that the bird bomb did no damage. (Etching)[/QUOT

Just used Danase Glaze topped with Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax topped with Aqua Wax earlier in the week

PaulMys
05-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Then I think you will be fine just removing the excrement with a detail spray, go have a beer and put your mind at ease. :)

Darren F
05-16-2020, 07:25 PM
I used a QD and the poop came off but now the paint is etched so trying to figure out how to correct it

PaulMys
05-16-2020, 07:29 PM
I used a QD and the poop came off but now the paint is etched so trying to figure out how to correct it

Can we see a pic, Darren?

Darren F
05-16-2020, 07:34 PM
Can we see a pic, Darren?
Will take one tomorrow.

acuRAS82
05-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Some paint etches easier than others. My metallic black X5 etched from a 12 hour bird poo (albeit in the sun on a hot summer day). The paint had a slew of titanium and SiO2 products protecting. When I bought the car 3 years used it had about 5-6 small etchings on the hood already.

My wife’s brilliant black car has had poop on it for days while parked at work and nothing can etch that paint whether wearing Sealant or SiO2 spray.

Darren F
05-16-2020, 07:54 PM
Some paint etches easier than others. My metallic black X5 etched from a 12 hour bird poo (albeit in the sun on a hot summer day). The paint had a slew of titanium and SiO2 products protecting. When I bought the car 3 years used it had about 5-6 small etchings on the hood already.

My wife’s brilliant black car has had poop on it for days while parked at work and nothing can etch that paint whether wearing Sealant or SiO2 spray.

what did you do to remove the etching?

dennis b
05-16-2020, 08:10 PM
I don't know what the birds are eating in South Florida (Boca Raton) but last month a bird (Egyptian Geese) left me a present that left a 2"x2" etched stain on my rear fender.

It took a Lake County CCS orange pad and Sonax cutmax to remove it. I followed up with Sonax 04-06 using a white pad. Actually it's 90% removed. My Audi has hard paint so you might not have to get as aggressive on your Ford. Try 04-06 first. If it doesn't work get more aggressive.

acuRAS82
05-16-2020, 08:22 PM
what did you do to remove the etching?

I used every type of non-abrasive I could think of first (APC, tar remover, bug remover, then paint prep polish). I thought the paint prep polish solved it but it’s still noticeable in the sun. I’ve since polished with abrasives for hood tests and it’s never gone away. Still noticeable to me on bright days or swirl finder lights. Unfortunately it’s just one of 6-7 spots on the hood now. The other 5-6 etchings are all worse because I’m sure the previous owner did nothing at the time.

So my hood looks like crap to me when I look close, but I don’t think anyone else notices them unless they are two feet away. Even then, when the hood is shiny, the reflections help drown out the etchings. I’ve thought about having the hood repainted but who knows what new issues that may cause (fish eyes would be devastating on my hood). Not sure if the risk is worth the price.