PDA

View Full Version : Paint transfer

PaulMys
05-14-2020, 06:21 PM
So, my wife's boss just told her that he is trading in the '17 Pacifica van they use for veterinary house calls.

It is driven by several people that work there, and has not been taken care of at all, save for a few swirl-o-metic washes.

But the big thing in his eyes is some paint transfer marks from some of the "less talented driver" employees, and he asked if I would take a look at it.

I have never attempted to remove anything but swirls, and/or a few deeper scratches on family members cars.

So my question is this: How do you go about tackling paint transfer marks that have not resulted in panel damage?

Bruno Soares
05-14-2020, 06:44 PM
Clay might do it. If not a light polish should.
Before I got into detailing I used a YT method that worked great. Sprayed WD40 and then lightly scrubbed with a magic eraser. Came right off. At the time I had zero detailing stuff at home to try something else. Car was also silver so if that left marring, I couldn’t see it.

57Rambler
05-14-2020, 06:49 PM
Perhaps first try your Fine grade Nanoskin sponge ?

If no go, try a paint cleaner or something like your HD Speed or Blackfire One Step.

Edited - BSoares beat me to it on the clay ...

PaulMys
05-14-2020, 07:04 PM
Perhaps first try your Fine grade Nanoskin sponge ?

If no go, try a paint cleaner or something like your HD Speed or Blackfire One Step.

Edited - BSoares beat me to it on the clay ...

My first thought was clay, but then I doubted myself. Second was something like my Griot's FCC, but I guess the "least aggressive first" approach applies.

Bruno Soares
05-14-2020, 07:25 PM
Recently my sister in law had some on her brand new Volvo’s door. I removed most of it with a piece of clay. The little bit that hadn’t come out, came out with a single pass of Menzerna 3-in-1. Very easy. It looked terrible too because it was black transfer on a white car.

57Rambler
05-14-2020, 07:26 PM
My first thought was clay, but then I doubted myself. Second was something like my Griot's FCC, but I guess the "least aggressive first" approach applies.

My thoughts exactly, go a step at a time increasing the level of aggressiveness.

And "do a test spot first" as well. :)

PaulMys
05-14-2020, 07:31 PM
Recently my sister in law had some on her brand new Volvo’s door. I removed most of it with a piece of clay. The little bit that hadn’t come out, came out with a single pass of Menzerna 3-in-1. Very easy. It looked terrible too because it was black transfer on a white car.

I'm going to stop by her work tomorrow and take a look.

Thanks for the info, Bruno. :)

Ed Abbondanzio
05-14-2020, 07:34 PM
Sprayway makes a graffiti removal spray (gel vandal) that would probably do the trick. Spray it on and let it soak for 10 to 15 seconds then wipe off. The paint transfer should be gone.

chinee
05-15-2020, 04:03 PM
Paint transfer is typically easy to remove, for the last 2 decades, a simple all in one cleaner wax was all it took to keep my paint fresh AND remove minor scuffs like paint transfer. My go-to was Meguiars Cleaner Wax... now that I’ve grown up, Blackfire One Step is all I need.

I still recommend Meguiars Cleaner Wax or 3 in 1 to friends and family who want quick and easy protection applied once or twice a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Sizzle Chest
05-15-2020, 09:30 PM
As stated in a few posts above: clay it, polish/compound it. They should be pretty easy to remove!

PaulMys
05-15-2020, 09:36 PM
As stated in a few posts above: clay it, polish/compound it. They should be pretty easy to remove!

I took a look at it today.

It is all just superficial except for one rear bumper dent which is beyond repair.

Thanks, Scott. NOW GET BRETT WEIR I SAID!!

WillSports3
05-16-2020, 11:50 PM
You can even try something like just a normal liquid carnauba wax.