PDA

View Full Version : POLL: More Aggressive Compound OR Pad?

waldron80
03-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Just curious about what procedures all of you use?

When attempting to remove imperfections from paint and your first step doesn't work do you have a tendency to grab a more aggressive compound or a more aggressive pad?

Kind Regards,

Waldron80
:buffing:

TOGWT
03-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Machine Polish / Foam Pad Combinations:
Always start with the least abrasive combination (i.e. a machine polish comparative abrasion scale (CAS) and the least aggressive foam pad (yellow, cutting-1, orange cutting/polishing -2, white polishing-3) If that combination doesn't remove the imperfections, using the same machine polish CAS = 3/10 and change to amore aggressive foam pad-2. If the surface imperfections remain, then step-up the abrasive to a polish CAS = 4/10 and use the least aggressive (cutting) pad-2.

Choose the least abrasive product; as it is preferable to polish 2-3 times to restore the paint film surface than to use an unnecessarily abrasive machine polish / foam pad combination.

budman3
03-26-2008, 08:24 AM
The most aggressive pad I'd reach for is a light cut pad (LC Orange). If defects still remain after trying a light cut pad, step up to a more aggressive polish/compound. Polishes and compounds break down, so the longer you work it, the smaller the abrasives. However, pads are going to maintain their aggressiveness which will most likely cause a lot of hazing and micromarring. The Lake Country Orange pads are strong enough for defect removal but do not marr the paint excessively if you work your polishes in properly (depends on the product used, temp, humidity, etc.)

bryansbestwax
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
i usually keep the same combo pad to polish, just the amount of time and pressure is the only difference