PDA

View Full Version : Polish at Edge of Xpel

Eightd2
05-10-2020, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately I noticed today that the hood of my 2019 BMW X5 has a line of polish, wax, swirl remover at the very edge of my Xpel PPF. Any trick or suggestion in removing it. Because the car is Black it is noticeable. I have tried a microfiber towel with IPA rubbed along the edge and the results are just fair. From now on I will tape the edge, but what can I do now?

Stay well.

Thank you.

Mike Phillips
05-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately I noticed today that the hood of my 2019 BMW X5 has a line of polish, wax, swirl remover at the very edge of my Xpel PPF.

Any trick or suggestion in removing it.

Yeah - this is a tricky situation.

The goal is to remove the residue without at the same time putting scratches into the paint.

Of course, the simple solution is to run a toothbrush along the edge of the PPF and more or less scrape out the residue - this however will tend to put some scratching in and along the edge of the PPF.

Here's one thing you can try and that's gently washing it out. Any residue along the PPF edge that is water soluble, that would normally be most compounds and polishes, will break down with soap and water. So mixing a solution of soapy water and then using a clean, microfiber towel and running it gently along the edge "can" loosen and dislodge a lot of the residue.

Can you get it perfect?

Maybe. You won't know until you try. Also - use warm water for your soap and water solution.

The other remedies you can try are things like running the point of a toothpick along the edge, of anything tiny and pointy.

I've even used my thumb or fingernail.

:_

ducksfan
05-11-2020, 11:44 AM
I wonder if it would work to use something like a Waterpik (for teeth) to clean up something like this. It shouldn't be a problem to use soapy water in one of those. You could use a Bondo spreader ( or better yet, a vinyl wrap squeege if you have one.) to to apply pressure to the edge if you were concerned with lifting.

Eightd2
05-11-2020, 09:13 PM
Mike -

Thank you for your sage advice! Probably 9 out of 10 people would not even see it, but I guess we are a little different. I will give it a shot and see what happens. It seems that it is just under the edge or just adjacent to it. I think the warm water should soften it a bit and allow for removal.

Thank you again.

Eightd2
05-11-2020, 09:17 PM
Thanks Ducksfan. Some type of fine spray would probably do it. It seems like a more common issue than I thought. Live and learn!

Stay Well.:xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
05-12-2020, 08:54 AM
•I use Griot’s Garage Dried-On Wax Remover.
-It, unfortunately, has now been discontinued.

•With that in mind:
-I’ll suggest BLACKFIRE Wax Remover.
BLACKFIRE Wax Remover (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wax-remover.html)
-From its description, it should fit the bill.

•FWIW:
-That’s what I’m ordering when my smidgen
of Griot’s wax remover has finally bit the dust.

Bob

WillSports3
05-16-2020, 12:06 AM
I normally use my business cards or other peoples business cards for this.

Eightd2
05-16-2020, 12:21 AM
That's funny I just thought of it the other day and it seemed to work well!

Thanks for the suggestion.:D